Need help in Athens! How far is Plaka from the Cruise Terminal?

We are doing a half day tour in Athens and coming back to the cruise ship for lunch. Afterwards we want to go shopping/strolling in Plaka or another nice area. How far is it from the cruise terminal? Are there any other nice places nearby?

Thanks for any feedback:)

We just returned from the Med. on the Grand Princess. The plaka is probably about a 20 - 30 minute ride by bus from the port. Near the port it did not look like there was anything worth seeing. Athens is a large, dirty and very congested city. The afternoon may be a good time to do laundry. This is based upon what I saw from the windows of our tour bus and my balcony. Others may have seen more but we unfortunately did not.

Good luck

cruizin bobby T

Yep. CruzinBobby is right: Athens is big, crowded, congested and unattractive. However, the Plaka is a great place to walk around and shop.

I stayed in Athens for 3 days pre-cruise, went to the Parthenon, and shopped in the Plaka twice. However, the highlight of my stay in Athens was the trip to Delphi.

I disagree with cruizin bobby about not much to see in Athens. Sure, it is a dusty city being that it is built in a valley and there is quite a bit of pollution but it is still a great city worth seeing.

There is so much history in Athens. What about a visit to the Acropolis and all the ruins. A walk along the Plaka is interesting and a great place to enjoy a meal. There is the changing of the guard at Parliament House and the view from the top of Likavitos Hill.

We have stayed in Athens twice. Once in 1995 and again last year in October and both times we have enjoyed the city and the people. They have spruced the city up and built the underground and now there is even a street just for pedestrians with good shopping.

Jennie

Thank you for your upbeat take on Athens.We are going to spend 3 days there in Sept. pre-cruise,and I am really looking forward to it as I have never been there before.No matter what city I am in there is always something positive to see and do,and I thank you for the positive.

4totravel,

If you plan to spend only the afternoon in the Plaka, must I suggest lunch there instead of the ship? Your cost to return to town by cab will probably be the same as lunch and you get all the ambiance of the Plaka. You'll have at least an hour more in Athens too. Talk to your tour guide and if others want to stay in town, it can be arranged, in my experience.

If money is an object, there is a wonderful gyro window at the beginning of the Monastiraki market that sells gyros for 1,50 euros. I can still taste them...yup, I went back for a second one!

I agree. Spend the extra time in the Plaka. There are many outdoor cafes to eat and the atmosphere is incredible. Yes, it is a typical large city, but I would not trade my time there for anything. Enjoy!!:D

Why go back to the ship when you're already in Athens? Go tot he Plaka area--there are LOTS of cafes around the area, and a great market by the metro stop. Why go back when you have to go right to where you were?

4totravel,

Take a taxi from the cruise ship terminal to the subway. Take the subway to Plaka which is very close to the Acropolis. You can walk both sites from the subway. The subway is clean and safe and you will be able to read the sign for your stop. If you get turned around the people that live and have shops in the area bordering the subway are helpful and friendly.

Take the time to look at the nice display of antiquities that were unearthed during the building of the subway.

Have a bite to eat or a drink while you are in the Plaka and do some people watching. You will enjoy it. My husband and I did this and it was wonderful.

Please what exactly is a "gyro"?? Sounds like a a toy but obviously it is food!!!

It is a Greek sandwich which is usually made of lamb(or can be beef) that is cooked on a vertical spit(the meat is ground and then molded on the spit) and then sliced really thin,and put in pita bread (warmed on a grill)with tomatoes,onions,and a cucumber (yogurt or sour cream) sauce.They are the best..at least where I get them here in the US at a Greek restaurunt.I have not met a Greek dish yet I did not like and cannot wait to get there!!!!:D

We will be in Athens this June. We're taking a 1/2 day private tour and have arranged with the guide to let us off at the Plaka after our tour. We intend to eat lunch, shop and explore the Plaka on our own. When we're ready to go back to the ship, we'll grab a taxi.

We will be in Athens this June. We're taking a 1/2 day private tour and have arranged with the guide to let us off at the Plaka after our tour. We intend to eat lunch, shop and explore the Plaka on our own. When we're ready to go back to the ship, we'll grab a taxi.

Hi Sandy,

If you don't mind me asking, who is your half-day tour with and did you get a reasonable price. We are going in August and I am looking for tour guides.

Godskidisme

Godskidisme... our Athens tour is with Greek Taxi... E-mail: admin@*****

I think his website is the same but without the admin@. Our 1/2 day tour is 110E, the price includes return to the ship or being let off at the Plaka and getting back to the ship on our own. We are sharing the cost with another couple.

Sandy

Those of you taking a taxi, please be aware of a fairly common con where the driver palms your 20-Euro or whatever and claims you only gave him a 1-Euro. You have to fork up the money again, and they do this while letting you out in an out-of-the-way place so there is no one to complain to (they will say that this is the closest they can get or it's just around the corner). I've heard of this happening to a number of people, so just keep an eye on your money and get an acknowledgement that it's the right amount before you look away.

Archived