• Sitka
    • Ketchikan
    • Anchorage
    • Wrangell
    • Seward
    • Valdez
    • Talkeetna
    • Other

Just curious as to what everyone's favorite city in Alaska is and why?

Personally, I like Skagway. Its small and quaint and filled with so much history. Its also gorgeous in Skagway, as it is in other parts of Alaska, but something about this little town draws me in.

I chose "Other" because you omitted Fairbanks from the list! I've lived here for over 21 years and just love the spirit of the people and community. The first time I rolled into town, I just knew I was home. This is a great place to be!

Taters

taters, sorry about the omission. definitely not intentional. unfortunately i only get 10 poll options! i envy you for living in Alaska... one day, i am going to find a way to move up there...

Cruiseisgood...off topic, I see you're in Los Gatos, we're originally from Sunnyvale and Santa Clara, moved to Boise 15 years ago. I went to High School in the Saratoga foothills, and remember it fondly! :)

Amanda:D

I voted for Valdez, mainly because we had the most brilliant time there, plus the scenery between Valdez and Anchorage was just magnificent. But if I could vote a second time, it would be for Seward.

Cruiseisgood...off topic, I see you're in Los Gatos, we're originally from Sunnyvale and Santa Clara, moved to Boise 15 years ago. I went to High School in the Saratoga foothills, and remember it fondly! :)

Hi there I'm in Boise too! :)

Skagway. Its the most beautiful place as far as Im concerned!

I really miss living there. :(

love stopping at Juneau! free internet at the Public Library - best kept secret is the tinest Russian Orthodox Church with a tour! it's a great walk (a.k.a. exercise walking up hill) - it's simply lovely but not for the faint of heart to walk. there are hours of operation, so be sure to check your watch. I love shopping for nesting dolls in every port (best prices are at the end of the cruise season).

Hi there I'm in Boise too! :)

Skagway. Its the most beautiful place as far as Im concerned!

I really miss living there. :(

Hi Binny! Always nice to see a fellow Boisean!:D Can you believe the RAIN we've been having???:eek:

I love the way the city looks when you pull into port and for some unknown reason, on our last three times there we have had beautiful sunshine days.

So that's how I remember that port.

We were only in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. All were great, but thought Sitka was beautiful, especially the little islands with homes just off-shore and Mt. Edgecumbe in the background to the northwest. Really enjoyed walking through the Sitka National Historic Park with its beautiful trails, rocky beaches and interesting totem poles. It helped that the weather was bright and sunny that day. :)

I'd say it was a tie between Juneau and Skagway. Juneau was pretty, great shops, and their museum of natural history interesting. From what I'd read about Skagway, I expected it to be a hokey, tourist trap, which some might think it is, took a two hour walking tour of the redlight district, fascinating, with a mimosa afterward at the Red Onion Saloon (not sure, but does have onion in the name). I'm from New Orleans and though we didn't have the gold rush, we did have Storyville, so we share some similarities, in addition to there being a laid back, down home kind of feel to Skagway, fun, and very comfortable.

We have a local musician Tom McDermott, pianist, who plays some summers in Skagway, and he's great if you are ever there to see him.

I haven't been to Sitka, but will be going soon at that may change my pics later.

youre right, its the Red Onion Better known as the R.O. ;)

I know Amanda and now we get the HEAT! OMGOSH its been crazy this year!

50 to 80 with nothing in between.

Do we have a lot of Boiseans here?

Hi Binny, WOW is it hot in Boise??!! We had our preschool promotion ceremony today (I'm a teacher) and it was HOT HOT HOT! :D Yippe, school is out for summer!! We are so excited to be only 7 short days away from our cruise!! Are you going to Alaska this summer?

I liked Skagway the most. It's a very small town, but people in town work very hard to put a show on for you. Lots of interesting things to do on your own (if wanted) both in town and out of town. Drive to White River pass and/or Emerald lake, etc. In town NPS (National Park Service) does lots of stuff for free and preserved a lot of buildings. Red Onion saloon was fun, I enjoyed it more than RedDog in Juneau (although both are a must see). Even shopping was pretty good.

Skagway is my favorite of the ports. I love the easy country feel of the town and the friendly people.

Our oldest son and his family live in Anchorage so the DW spends each summer up there babysitting the grandkids. I get to stay in Kansas to pay for it :)

Ron

Here's my vote for "other". Yes, I know Kodiak Island isn't often visited . . . but it was on our itinerary on our first (of 5) Alaska cruises in 1998, on the small old now-retired Island Princess. What a cruise that was! As well as Kodiak Island, we had a port day in Homer and cruised right into Cook Inlet and docked in Anchorage.

Sitka and Seward are other favorites. Well, we like them all, actually, each for its own reasons -- although I would wish for another trip, like the 1998 and a 5-day pre-season in early May 2003, when ports are not so overcrowded with megaships.

I wish Princess would bring one of her small ships (Pacific or Tahitian) to Alaska some summer and do the 11-day itinerary again, north from Vancouver (& returning south of course). It can't be done with the big ships . . . but Princess does have the 2 small ones now! What do you think, Princess??

Archived