St Maarten Water Taxi & Scooter

mechcc

If you are asking whether you can roll a scooter onboard, then the answer is no. There are a couple steps that you have to climb down to board the boat.

You can bring a scooter if you can carry it onboard yourself. The official statement is the crew will not assist with any mobility devices or lifting of passengers to board. However, you might be able to find someone to assist you for some extra tip money, but no guarantees.

Hi Everyone!

DH will be using a scooter for the first time in March in St. Maarten and for the life of either of us, we can't remember distance, etc. from the pier to downtown.

Does anyone know if it is "driveable" for him on the scooter?

Sheesh - you'd think I'd remember since I've been there at least a dozen times....:o

(St. Thomas we will stay in Havensight - so no biggie there and my other "problem" is the call at Samana, D.R. - I have no idea about that at all).

Thanks!!

Heidi

It's around 3/8 mile from the pier to Front Street and I think it's driveable. I've wheeled my mom (she has a manual wheelchair) on that path. There is a section where the sidewalk is narrow and the wheelchair took up the whole sidewalk, which got us some glares from other people. There are also a few rough areas (uneven sidewalk squares) that might be a little difficult. I can't remember whether there are curb cuts. If there weren't, I wouldn't have paid much attention because I can lift my mom's chair up a curb. That's not as easy with a scooter.

You come out where the parking lot is at the end of the cruise pier in back of shops and make a left. About 1/2 mile walk - scooter or w/c -- cut through to the left where the water taxi leaves off people onto beach boardwalk. When there is an easy alley go to right again to get to real shopping area. Even though it is sidewalk with real stores, sometimes trees in the middle making it narrow and high curbs -- it is a traffic area so be careful. Worth the hassle for the BLING! Vicki :)

Archived