Is Ybor in Tampa safe at night

cruznlobo

They have installed video cameras on the streets, in the past few years. I wouldn't call it unsafe; just a party crowd. With that, it does attract pick-pocketers and unsavory drunken behavior. Just be aware of your surroundings and if you drink, do not leave your glass unattended. Bar and nightclub hopping seem to be a big thing there.

If you really want to see it then go but just be careful.

:)

Cruising out of Tampa in a few months and I'm hearing that Ybor is not safe at night.

Is this true or false?

In general, it is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Most of the action is on one main street, with some clubs/restaurants on the side streets that jut off of that main drag. It is well patrolled & well-lit. It does sometimes get a little rowdy very late as some of the drunks decide they are 10 feet tall & bulletproof. From what I've seen, that type of trouble doesn't typically start up until 1 or 2 am.

If you're gone by then, you'll likely be fine. Also, don't stray too far off the beaten, lit path (i.e. don't stroll down a dark alley, just like you wouldn't do anywhere if you're aware of your surroundings).

I was just wondering because a guy I work with told me that there are 2 or 3 shootings a week there.

Ha, it's not NEARLY that bad. 2 or 3 a year maybe, but certainly not a week.

There was a shooting over the weekend, after a near-fight inside one of the clubs. The articles in the local papers indicate it was the 3rd shooting at an Ybor nightclub in the last 12 months. As I mentioned above, I believe all of them happened late (this one was at 2:30 am).

We have been dozens of times for concerts at the bigger venues and never felt unsafe. We had to walk to the parking areas and again never felt unsafe.

That said, you have to realize that for the most part, the area bars draw mostly younger crowds after a certain time, ~21-30 yo. Nothing wrong with that but that's what it is. If you can deal with that, then you will have a fun and safe, evening out.

Much police presence and street cameras, etc.

We went in 3 days early in December before our Cruise. Stayed at Hampton Inn, Ybor City, at recommendation of CC. Loved It! Family cruise- 3 generations. The 20 somethings loved it, but so did I (grandma @ 60!). It is a party area, but not really rough. We didn't stray. Great for cigars- try the cuban mojito bars/cigar lounges! We will definitely be going back. If you can stay over a Saturday they have a great flea market in the park.

Archived