More info on US Direct

CruiseIsGood

Our bus driver on the way back to the airport in Vancouver filled us in on the US Direct program.

It starts the end of May. We just missed it, and boy was customs a pain in the hiney. THREE HOURS to get through US customs and onto the ship once we arrived at the port. It was customs' fault and not the ship, but to make up for it, Carnival let us have two extra hours in Juneau and Skagway and an extra hour in Ketchikan. I'm not sure what HAL did (Volendam passengers were stuck with us), but that was a classy move by Carnival. I thought it more than made up for it! But, on to the info:

If you are arriving at Vancouver airport the day of your cruise and purchase the ship's transfer, a bonded bus will actually pull up onto the tarmac. You'll load directly from the plane and won't enter the airport. (Your luggage is transferred directly from the plane to the ship, so make sure the tags are on!) Customs will tape the bus doors shut, and customs will open them at the port. IF your bus driver accidentally pushes that door button, the bus will be "contaminated" and you will have to go through customs. Bring a cup and duct tape to tape over that button!

You will proceed directly from the bus to the ship.

Outbound will be the same, if you are heading out the same day as the ship arrives in Vancouver.

So sayeth the nervous bus driver. He says they're all scared of that door button now!

I'm very happy for all of you going through Vancouver after the end of May. Well, those of you going directly to the ship. It will save you a major headache! The whole process we went through was just absurdly silly.

Denise

Thanks for the info, CruiseIsGood. Sounds like it will be a lot more efficient, if it works. We end our June cruise in Vancouver and don't have much time betwen disembarkation and the flight home. Hope that you enjoyed the actual cruise.

Denise - Thanks for the info about USDirect. I wish my ta had told me about it. We are flying into Vancouver a few days before we sail. I could have made the extra days post cruise and saved myself a few hours in line.

Sue

Denise, thanks very much! We received the "US Direct" info along with our cruise docs. We immediately cancelled our limo we had booked from Vancouver airport to the ship, and called RCCL to book the ship transfer instead, just to take advantage of US Direct. Sounds like the way to go! I will make sure our driver stays away from the door button! LOL

Amanda:D

Hi!

We are on the June 9-19th San Fran to Vancouver on Infinity. If I understand this correctly, our bags can go directly from the ship onto the plane? Do we still have to pass thru customs? When do we need to sign up for this service, and what is the charge. We do have transfers with Celebrity.

Thanks!!

We were on the May 11 sailing of the Volendam. I cannot urge everyone enough to get to Canada Place as early as possible if you are not participating in or eligible for the U.S. Direct program.

As luck would have it, we arrived at Canada Place at around 11 am. This was the earliest they started processing passengers through security and immigration. It took us about 45 minutes and we had Suite priority embarkation privileges. Other passengers (arriving about 1 pm) onboard told us it took them 3-4 hours. Not a pleasant experience. I don't know if future sailings will improve, but the Volendam was late departing because people were still boarding at 5 pm.

B

Keep in mind this does NOT apply to every cruiseline.

When I spoke with Celebrity just now they informed me that only RCI ( in their company ) is signed up for this. NOT Celebrity.

SO maybe thats why you didnt receive notification.

Anyway, hopefully everyone will sign on. Would sure be nice to expedite customs!

Oddly when I called the State department and customs the person I talked had NO knowledge of it, she searched and couldnt find any info.

When I spoke with Celebrity just now they informed me that only RCI ( in their company ) is signed up for this. NOT Celebrity.

Well that stinks, RCI is merging other benefits with Celebrity

why not this one?

That means we won't be eligible since we are on Celebrity Summit. We have no control when we get to the airport as we have transfers through Celebrity.

Anne Maria

We just got our docs for 6/13 sailing on the Dawn Princess. According to the docs, and my TA, Princess will be starting this on 5/25. The concept is that you are considered to have never left the US, so no customs. I wonder how this will be handled when we get off the ship in Whittier - I would assume no customs hassles at that point then either. Hopefully they will work out any bugs in the system before we fly.

yes I thought it was odd as well.

I also found it strange that the State Dept had no knowledge of it.

I mean, I know its happening and I know its for real, I just dont know why they dont have any info on it.

I would love to have the full scoop!

Im heading up to Victoria for the weekend I will ask around then and maybe be able to to come up with something!

well I take that back then, I just called and talked with Celebrity and she said that they are. She said the other Rep didnt know what they were talking about.

My deepest Apologies. :)

Hey Binny,

Don't worry.....that happens allot. You should hear all the versions I got from all different sources about cashing in my World Points for onboard credits.

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

I just hope when I'm on board Summit in July they know what they are doing. I guess that's all that really matters.

Have a good day.

Anne Maria

AlaskanNewby:

What do your documents say to indicate you will be using the US Direct?

I'm supposed to be getting my documents on Monday and I want to make sure that I will be going thru US Direct.

Our flight arrives at 11 am and I want to make sure we get to the boat in time.

Folks - it is not surprising that the US State Dept. would not know about this. It is

a system designed to expedite clearance of Canadian formalities by not having to

apsss through Canadian Customs and Immigration. It is akin to making an onward

connection to another country without actually entering Canada, just passing through

the airport. It will work just as long as people respect the fact that it is a service

and don't try to bypass the requirements. It obviously doesn't apply to pre- and post-

stays in Vancouver.

We signed up for this on our June 10th cruise with RCCL. It cost us $20 per person and in my travel doc's we got blue luggage tags that we are suppose to put on the checked luggage before we check our bags in Chicago. When we arrive in Vancouver the info states that we are suppose to follow the US Direct signs to bypass the normal customs. The luggage is suppose to make it to the ship we do not have to do anything. We will see how it goes

Folks - it is not surprising that the US State Dept. would not know about this. It is

a system designed to expedite clearance of Canadian formalities by not having to

apsss through Canadian Customs and Immigration. It is akin to making an onward

connection to another country without actually entering Canada, just passing through

the airport. It will work just as long as people respect the fact that it is a service

and don't try to bypass the requirements. It obviously doesn't apply to pre- and post-

stays in Vancouver.

youre right I misunderstood the original post, I thought it was on the return.

It also can help for pre and post depending on how you did your air. Several airlines are included on the site.

Okay does anyone know if we have already arranged everything through the cruise line: flights, transfers etc. will our travel documents AUTOMATICALLY contain the US Direct information or do I have to call my TA and make sure we are "signed up." We are traveling on Celebrity Summit.

Thanks so much for any info.

Anne Maria

Northwoods2I don't have the docs with me so I can't quote exactly. In my docs there was a blue flyer that explained the process for the US Direct & gave the implementation date. You must put the luggage tags on your bags prior to checking them with the airline. Bags will be taken directly by Princess to the ship. It did not give the details on the bus transport, but said that you would be directed at the airport, I believe. Basically it is available to passengers who have booked transport with Princess and are arriving and going directly to the ship on the day of departure. If not, you must go thru the regular customs process.

We are leaving on June 1 on Carnival Spirit (Vancouver to Alaska). There was a flyer in with our travel documents (through our TA) that briefly explained the US Direct.

If you are coming non-stop from the US and have a transfer booked with your cruise line from the airport to the dock then you are eligible to use it. You must place your cruise tags on your luggage before you check them in when boarding. Then, at the Vancouver Airport you follow the US Direct signs. You can only do this if you are a US citizen and are flying direct and have a transfer and you are going directly from airport to ship (or vice versa). Basically you are bypassing Canadian customs, they are acting as if you never set foot on foreign soil. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS. This is a system that was set up to expedite the process. Those of you who said that your TA charged you for this service need to call them up and straighten this out. It is NOT a pay service, it is available free to anyone who qualifies.

The website for the Vancouver Airport for guests who are leaving from there is: http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/onboard/index.asp

The website for the Vancouver Airport for guests who are arriving from there is: http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/embarkation/

We plan on using this next week. I'll let you know how it all works out. Although I must say I am a little concerned about not seeing my luggage until it arrives in my stateroom.

Archived