Celebrating Celebration

Gelbel

Just back from the best 2 weeks cruise we've ever had on the Celebration (in fact best holiday full-stop). Will do a full review later (in the week more likely).

We really enjoyed the ship - had a huge basic outside cabin (814 prebooked for the double bed), the food was excellent, service outstanding, itineraries just the best IMHO. And even the medical centre was good with great service.:eek:

Downsides - sunbeds, lack of and hogging of, main courses in MDR and Mistral's and filthy decks from the muck coming out the funnel. Oh and a blow-out on a tyre on the way back to the airport.:eek:

As I say full details to follow. I have bar price pictures too.

Thomson now topping my list for a Caribbean cruise I fancy in early 2014. But then I want to do more of a similar itinerary we've just enjoyed. :confused: I need a lottery win...or donations.

Glad you had a good time, we were on the Celebration this year (June) and we throughly enjoyed ourselves too.

Horrible to come home really, could have quite happily stayed on board, in fact next time have told Hubby I am looking for a place where I can stow away :D

We just did a tot up of drinks v. buying a package and yes it's worth it. I have 5 alcoholic drinks a day (2 sun downers, wine with dinner, 2 post dinner) and I reckon 4ish soft drinks a day. So say 10 drinks a day at say an average £3 (allowing for cans of pop and cocktails) that's £30 x 7/14 = pay for package.

Re tips - depends what you're thinking about really as I, and everyone else, could give pages and pages.

However, I always recommend taking a small electrical extension for all your electrical clobber/chargers.

And try to be on deck for sail-ins (if it's not too early ;)) with a cuppa and a croissant. Depending on your itinerary it's easy to do DIY site seeing and the ship provides good information - then have a late breakfast (ie as the organised trips are leaving) and do your own thing at your leisure.

But if you do have anything specific - just ask.

The tea and coffee is free 24/7 from the stations and can be brought from the bars (free on AI). Is a bit hit and miss but I found that if I added hot milk (from the porridge counter at breakfast to the coffee it was OK. Or dilute with a bit of hot water.

We loved the food - varied and hot, means hot. If you can't find something you like you must be OTT fussy.

The coffee you could get in the bars was nice - the coffee from the Lido was not so good; I took some of the little coffee individual sachets with me & used those to make myself a cup of instant when I wanted it!

The food was great - loads of choice in the Lido for all meals and the Meridian restaurant serves lovely food too - not massive portions but you don't get up from the table feeling "stuffed". The desserts in Meridian were nothing special (definitely mass catering) - not as good as they were when we went on in 2009 but still perfectly acceptable!

Thanks for your advice we are only doing a weeks cruise which we thought would be about right for our first time. There does seem to be alot of negative reviews out there regarding Thomsons Celebration ship we have booked a delux cabin on deck 7/8 do you know what they are like

Thanks for your advice we are only doing a weeks cruise which we thought would be about right for our first time. There does seem to be alot of negative reviews out there regarding Thomsons Celebration ship we have booked a delux cabin on deck 7/8 do you know what they are like
We had a deluxe on our first cruise. It was on deck 9, but I should imagine they are the same. It was a good size cabin, compared with the ordinary outside cabin that we had on a later cruise. We are having the same cabin(no 21) next year when we go through the Suez Canal, and it should be even better as it will be "platinum" by then :):)

Hi,Sorry but cant understand where you have seen negative reviews 'out there',have been on Celebration twice and had fab time, and personally havnt seen any bad reviews? alright she is not a new ship but just couldnrt find any thing to moan about. Im sure you will have a good time.

Pool towels are provided - you get one each & can take them off the ship for the beach but if you lose them you might get charged! You can change them whenever you want; just leave them on the bathroom floor & they will give you clean ones. Are you doing cruise & stay? If you are, you might need to check if your hotel provides pool towels.

TBH they all looked the same to me, with the exception of suites, when I had a chance to have a spy through open doors.

So what are the Suites Like, I wonder what if any improvements will be done to the Suites to come into Platinum Category:confused:

Thanks for your reply we are only doing the cruise, Just one other thing did you go to Turkey if so do they take the euro or do we need to take some Turkish lira.

Yes, we did go to Turkey - they do take Euros & everything is priced in Euros & Lira but if you are going to Istanbul, from memory the payment for the trams was only in Lira. We did take Turkish currency with us anyway - it was quite a good exchange rate when we went!

Can any body tell me what time you would normaly have to disembark on your final day and also what about your luggage some one mentioned that you have to leave it out side your cabin by two in the morning and you do not see it untill you get to the airport?. Thanks.

So what are the Suites Like, I wonder what if any improvements will be done to the Suites to come into Platinum Category:confused:

Hi, just returned from celebration stayed in suite 059. whilist there ships officers came into our suite to take pictures of the window.I innocently said that a balcony would be great, to which they replied it is an option being considered!

IMHO the suites arent worth the extra money, the Deluxe cabins were better value for money on the Dream & Destiny. There are no perks at the momment thats any different than the Deluxe cabins.

Lorraine

Sudden, you stay on until your coach leaves for the trip to the airport or transfer to your hotel. If you're AI you can still have freebies til this time. Any paid for items are charged separately if you've handed a card over - not sure about people paying my cash.

Re cases - you're right outside by 2am. You next see your case when you put it on your coach. Not sure what happens in the Caribbean - you might not see it til you land.

And Jules is right - the tram is lira only. The machine gives change. :cool:

Hi, just returned from celebration stayed in suite 059. whilist there ships officers came into our suite to take pictures of the window.I innocently said that a balcony would be great, to which they replied it is an option being considered!

IMHO the suites arent worth the extra money, the Deluxe cabins were better value for money on the Dream & Destiny. There are no perks at the momment thats any different than the Deluxe cabins.

Lorraine

Thanks Lorraine, I really don't think balconies could be done on an existing ship structure? Could it

We have booked a suite so will look forward to it, first cruise so can't compare it to anything else:)

Archived