From Rio Airport ( GIG) to City

commencemilo

"Best" is subjective.

There are 3 main options:

1) pre-paid taxi

You will be solicited by the young ladies who sell this service as you exit through the terminal. 2X the price of regular taxi, but can pay by credit card

2) regular yellow taxi

outside the terminal, to Copacabana probably about R$50-60 depending on time and traffic

3) Real bus

outside the terminal, R$12, runs down the main street along the beach, know your cross street

The "best" way to get from GIG to Copacabana is in a chauffeur driven stretch Mercedes limo driven by a beautiful, scantily clad sambista and stocked with a full, gratuitous bar. Failing that there are buses and cabs. Cabs are waiting outside the terminal doors. A regular metered yellow cab will cost about R$45-50 during daytime hours (50-55 at night/Sunday/holiday rates). At a cost of about R$85-90 a private white/blue/red car can be contracted right after leaving the secure area by responding to one of those young women shouting to anyone that looks like a gringo. Large buses from a company called "Real" leave periodically and are available for about R$10.

I'd rate helicopter, or flying into Santos Dumont Airport best. You don't need to look for the young ladies solictiing for the radio taxis (and last time I was at GIG, they were all behind booths). You'll see at least a couple of booths as you exit Customs, and again in the main terminal hallway. The advantages of using those taxis are it's a flat rate, you know the fare in advance (no worry about the driver's use of the meter), and you can pay by credit card. But you pay more. I've heard the metered taxis now have flat rates to some areas. The Real bus is fine, but takes longer (goes via the central bus depot and downtown) and it has a set route; you may still have to walk or take a taxi to your hotel at the end.

Let's not forget the safety issue. If you are not familiar - then opt for the taxi's they are much safer than the bus. If you are trying to save money - think about doing it another way. They mention 50 Real - which in US Dollars is about 24.00 - that's not bad.

There is nothing unsafe about that Real bus itself. And walking a block or so in Copacabana, even with luggage, is not such a dangerous proposition these days as to incur safety warnings on a travel forum. Pre-paid taxi, regular taxi or real bus--it's just a matter of budget/luxury vs. comfort/ease (and only perhaps perceived safety/reliability).

We are staying at the Copacabana Palace 3 days before our crusie in Feb on Oceania.I contacted the concierge and pre booked a car to pick us up at the airport.We find this arrangment the best and most convient and less hassaled.

Since we were using Neyla Bontempo as our guide while in Rio, we just added having her pick us up at the airport for our transfer to the hotel. She was great and even gave us commentary about what we were seeing along the way and also general info about Rio and Brazil.

We are staying at the Copacabana Palace 3 days before our crusie in Feb on Oceania.I contacted the concierge and pre booked a car to pick us up at the airport.We find this arrangment the best and most convient and less hassaled.

Would you be willing to share the cost and model of this pre-booked car? Is it a stretch limo, a Mercedes, or a standard taxi-style vehicle typically used for such purposes. In other words, are there any features to set this service apart from either booking a private car upon arrival at GIG (R$90) or entering a regular metered taxi waiting when exiting the terminal door (R$55)?

If a traveller to Rio finds that having someone from a pre-booked car service waiting for them with a name sign as they exit customs after a long overnight flight is more convenient and makes them feel less hassled, and that person can afford several days at the Copacabana Palace at current rates, why question their choice? Just add it to the list of choices based on some perceived balance of convenience/safety vs. cost that all travellers make based on personal travel style and budget.

If a traveller to Rio finds that having someone from a pre-booked car service waiting for them with a name sign as they exit customs after a long overnight flight is more convenient and makes them feel less hassled, and that person can afford several days at the Copacabana Palace at current rates, why question their choice? Just add it to the list of choices based on some perceived balance of convenience/safety vs. cost that all travellers make based on personal travel style and budget.

I agree. Which is why I asked the cost/model of the pre-booked car so CCers can make an informed choice. Wouldn't you agree that one can not balance what he does not know?

Would you be willing to share the cost and model of this pre-booked car? Is it a stretch limo, a Mercedes, or a standard taxi-style vehicle typically used for such purposes. In other words, are there any features to set this service apart from either booking a private car upon arrival at GIG (R$90) or entering a regular metered taxi waiting when exiting the terminal door (R$55)?

They informed me it is a hotel car that will pick us up, the price they told me was $55 .00 U.S. dollars.

@acrusa--

about R$112 then

(best to start thinking in reais, currently about R$2 to U$1, so pretty easy to do a rough conversion)

I particularly enjoy having someone looking for me as I exit in Rio or Salvador or Sao Paulo at some ungodly hour of the morning after an overnight flight, so I "get" why it might be worth it to arrange in advance.

@pmacher61--Your reasoning is noted.

Any extra, maybe R$22/U$11, over the cost of the pre-paid taxis, is, IMO, for the name sign being held up at the gate, and whatever peace of mind that brings at the end of a long tiring flight, not for the level of "luxe" of the vehicle itself.

we had pre-arranged for a tourguide/driver. The airport transfer from the airport to the hotel (JWMarriott) the transfer from the hotel to pier were part of our package. The road in and out of the airport is pretty chaotic (and very jammed the day we arrived because of an armored car robbery) and only 2 lanes. It is great to have a guide devoted to you. For the main sights, you need to be there early. Once the bus loads start to Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer the lines are huge (we saw them from on top and they went maybe quarter of a mile) plus it is HOT! It is really great if you can do Sugar Loaf one day and Christ the next -- doing both is nothing but a hot line and would not be nearly as wonderful as the cool morning when you could take a step without being crushed.

We used Marcio Boechat. Spoke great English, very pleasant, nice but not over the top car. His price was less than some of the other guides as he was breaking out on his own. Thought his services were well worth what we paid him. Can find him on both FB and trip advisor. I LOVE RIO and Marcio made the city fun to visit.

• 2 weeks later...
Barbara,

I am using Mario for a tour but not until the day after I arrive. Did he transfer you to the Marriott on day 1 and then you toured or was it different days?

Melodye

He picked us up at the airport. Helped us find ATM and get baggage into his car. We had a traffic jam getting away from airport that morning so we sort of planned out our next few days waiting for the police to clear the 2 lane road. He pointed out sights as he drove us to JW Marriott. Came back the next day for touring. Take his advice and go to Sugar Loaf early in AM. (7:30 Am) as the crowds get horrible starting about 9 when the buses start arriving. Same or more so for Christ Reedeemer.

Few words about the Marriott Hotel area. The White House restaurant to the right as you exit door and look at beach has nice view, friendly waiters, fairly cheap food and if you ask nice they tell you their wifi connection. I used it for 4 days;) -- JWM charges a fortune for wifi. There is a nice seafood restaurant about a block up from the side of the restaurant next to the JWM. We went up 2 blocks to the main street and there is a grocery store where we bought bread and lunch meats and water!! The 8$ bottles were only 60 cents in the grocery and of course got my diet coke. McDonald's and local fast foods, subway and lots of local color.

Thursday there was a street market -- cool stuff like jewelry and art works and used clothing (no lie). Do go up to the pool area and watch out on the beach and then go down and walk beach the first day -- lots of beach volleyball and other games in the sand.

Give Marcio a hug. Just arrange with him a package for transfer to hotel from airport, tour, and then transfer to the port (not easy to get to and very very crowded and a must just dump you out situation but they do take your luggage out of the car and you go to line to board ships. I found that Marcio was very reasonable and reliable and because he speaks English well you don't have any problems getting where you want.

Barbara,

I am using Mario for a tour but not until the day after I arrive. Did he transfer you to the Marriott on day 1 and then you toured or was it different days?

Melodye

Is this Marcio Boechat? That is the man that I used.

Barbara,

Thanks for the info about the Hotel and restaurants. Yes it is the same Marcio. He does not want to do a transfer unless I agree to do a half day tour on day of arrival which we do not weant to do. We are arriving on Sunday, using his services on Monday and then Tuesday we will do our own thing and I assume take a cab to the port.

Did you think the Marriott was a nice Hotel?

Thanks,

Melodye

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived