Rum tour?

iRICKATRON

I don't know of a factory there, but in Ocho Rios you can drink your way through town..LOL..My sister (who drinks very little) and I walked to town to look in shops. Every shop had free samples of every flavor of rum imaginable. We sampled many and staggered giggling back to the ship with 4 bottles for her to take home. After her senses came back to her she was trying to figure out how to get them home on her flight.

i don't know of a factory there, but in ocho rios you can drink your way through town..lol..my sister (who drinks very little) and i walked to town to look in shops. Every shop had free samples of every flavor of rum imaginable. We sampled many and staggered giggling back to the ship with 4 bottles for her to take home. After her senses came back to her she was trying to figure out how to get them home on her flight.

lol. Awesome loving it all ready!!

You might be out of luck as far as a factory tour goes. However you can still find great rum. Appleton Estates is about 2 1/2 hours from Ocho Rios, which might be too far depending on how long you're in port, but every shop in town will have the rum. Grand Turk has Bambarra Rum - it's not available in the US, it's fantastic rum, and can you bring me back a bottle of the Trouvadore, pretty please? :D

If you really want to visit rum distilleries (and why wouldn't you?), try Barbados - I had the opportunity last year to hit 4 distilleries in one day there (Foursquare, St. Nicholas Abbey, Mt. Gay, and Cockspur)...

you might be out of luck as far as a factory tour goes. However you can still find great rum. Appleton estates is about 2 1/2 hours from ocho rios, which might be too far depending on how long you're in port, but every shop in town will have the rum. Grand turk has bambarra rum - it's not available in the us, it's fantastic rum, and can you bring me back a bottle of the trouvadore, pretty please? :d

if you really want to visit rum distilleries (and why wouldn't you?), try barbados - i had the opportunity last year to hit 4 distilleries in one day there (foursquare, st. Nicholas abbey, mt. Gay, and cockspur)...

awesome!!!! Thanks for the info. I see ur "right up the street from me" lol.

We found the best prices to be at the local supermarkets in town when in Jamaica. As for the factory tour, we did the Bacardi one in San Juan, and were not overly impressed with it. Separate from the actual place where they make the beverage, they do a nice job at telling you the history of the product and the process, but the place in which you take the tour could have been set up in any building anywhere in the world with little impact on the presentation. There were free drinks at the end! Try the port boards or tripadvisor for more info on tours

awesome!!!! Thanks for the info. I see ur "right up the street from me" lol.

Since you're close by - there are a couple of rum distilleries within a "daytrip" distance for you: Prichards Distillery in Kelso, TN (about an hour & a half past Chattanooga) makes rum and bourbon in an old schoolhouse and Richland Rum (near Columbus, GA) just opened for tours in June.

Yes, I really DO cruise for the rum! :cool:

DH & I will be visiting Travellers Rum in Belize and Seven Fathoms in Grand Cayman next week...

Archived