POA Hawaii seasick?

timsbabe

I have heard from several people that cruising in Hawaii is rather choppy. I don't know if they've cruised from CA or Vancouver or another point of origination, but is just cruising from island to island going to be cause for concern about getting seasick?

Yes, even island-to-island can be rough. We were on the POA in July 2009 and there were a couple of choppy nights. If I remember correctly, it was when we were going from Maui to Hilo, then from Kona to Kauai. We heard while we were onboard that some of those channels are notorious for being difficult at times. That said, it really wasn't that bad. My DH didn't feel anything and after taking some dramamine, I was fine too. That was our first cruise and we've sinced experienced worse sailing elsewhere. Be prepared in case it gets rough but don't worry too much about it.

We sailed POA in January and there are supposed to be offshore storms at that time of year which account for the high surf at bonzai, Sunset et al--yet it was smooth sailing on the ship.The ship does not go out into really open sea. It just goes from one island to the next.

We said the POA in November 2009 and for the most part everything was good. One evening things were a little choppy and trying to walk down the stairs to our seats in the theater was a trick, but we never go sea sick. I did notice one day that I was having trouble walking on land. I kept feeling like I was on a floating dock. Someone told me that the waters must have been a little rough the night before and my ears were messing with me.

Anyway. I think you will be fine.

We were on the POA in June...............mild chop but definitely not rough. I wouldn't be concerned. Like any other cruise I would be prepared for sea sickness...............but doubt you will ever use it. Now going from the west coast to HI and back................not for me. That's why there are so many choices ! :D

We have done this cruise a few times with NCL and have found little to no choppy waters and certainly nothing to cause sickness.

We've sailed October once and January twice and all were b2b so 14 days each.

I think too that the ship isn't far from land on this cruise when sailing.

Archived