Best way to handle a no-show?

scgamecock

My brother has had this happen two years in a row. Booked his girlfriend, they either broke up or she couldn't go for whatever reason. He just let her be a no show both times. No big deal. This year, he booked a solo,(per Carnival's advice). He was only charged one person's port charges and taxes/fees. He LOVES going solo!

There is someone in the exact same position as you that posted the other day. That person is leaving on Sunday. I'm sorry to hear about the now ex.

The reason that people will say to not call & cancel the person is because your booking then becomes a solo booking. Solos have to pay double the cruise fare, referred to as a 100% solo supplement. In situations like yours, when you would cancel the person, Carnival used to then charge you another entire cruise fare on top of what you already paid. In other words, the penalty for cancelling your ex is 100% at this point, so that entire amount is removed from the booking as a penalty. And at that point, you then have to pay another cruise fare, to cover the "solo supplement". By that point, you've paid 3 cruise fares. I was shot down on the other thread for saying that Carnival does this. According to that poster, Carnival no longer does this. That poster says that the penalty amount is not removed from the booking, which would mean the solo supplement is still covered. Whether that's actually how they're doing it now or not, I don't know for sure. I haven't asked Carnival.

The gov't taxes will be refunded for your ex. The port charges will not be. Those are a part of the cruise fare, so the solo pays 2 port charges for 1 person, and the port charges are not refunded for a no-show. However, I'm assuming you meant to say the gov't taxes & fees, which are listed as an additional charge to the cruise fare. That will be refunded to you, even in the case of a no-show. The advice given on that other thread was to say that the other person isn't checking with you when you check in. Then, once on board the ship, you can go to guest services and tell them that your ex is a no-show and ask for the gov't taxes to be refunded to your sail & sign account.

Totally WRONG!!!

There is no added charge. I wish I knew where some get this stuff.

The cruise is pd for whether one shows, 2 shows, or no one shows.

The OP would get a refund of taxes whether they tell or not

My brother has had this happen two years in a row. Booked his girlfriend, they either broke up or she couldn't go for whatever reason. He just let her be a no show both times. No big deal. This year, he booked a solo,(per Carnival's advice). He was only charged one person's port charges and taxes/fees. He LOVES going solo!

He was charged 2 port charges. This is the charge that you don't see because it's included in the cruise fare.

only 1 tax would be applied

On Freedom now and having an amazing cruise. The official answer from the very unhelpful guest service staff here on this ship is absolutely no refund for anything. No refund on taxes & fees whatsoever. They say that Carnival has never done this and never will.

I am, of course, calling BS on this. But - I'm not going to let it damper my fun on the cruise. I'll deal with this when I get back home.

Archived