helicopter motion sickness

I used to work in the factory where those things* were built. Never went up in one. You think I would have pestered for at least a test ride or something.

*Sikorsky Aircraft. Big hunkers; not your radio station traffic 'copters or glacier landers (unless you're landing troops).

Put "Cruise Critic" in e-mail subject line: tomcarten@hotmail.com

We have taken 2 helicopter tours and it never even dawned on me to think of motion sickness. Actually, the motion is not much more than what you feel riding in a car. There is so much to see, you would never have time to be reading (that is what makes me car sick). If you do have a concern, take your meds or wear sea-bands.

Have fun!

Kathy

I did have a problem once with motion sickness in helicopers. What I did was use the patch, the one you put behind the ear. Same one you use for sea sickness. It worked. I now use the patch on every cruise I take and no more problems.

Marilyn

We took a helicopter tour up to the glaciers in Alaska. They dropped us off and returned to pick us up - thank goodness. icon_smile.gif

No problems at all with motion sickness. They are really fun to ride in - I think you'll enjoy it!

Star Princess 2003, Carnival Triumph 2002, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 2001, Carnival Ecstasy 2000, Norwegian Majesty 1998, Carnival Ecstasy 1998, RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 1997, Regal Princess 1995, Carnival Holiday 1993, Emerald Seas 1991, Dolphin 1990, Britannis 1989

__ /7__X__/7________

\::::::::::::::::::::::::/ Celebrity Summit 4/30/04

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;30;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My husband fly's helicopters for a living. And here is his advice.

Yes, if you get motion sickness then by all means use the wrist band or take pills before the flight.

If at all possible ask for the front seat next to the pilot. Not only is it the BEST seat but you have a full view of the horizon (just like sitting in the front seat of a car as compared to the rear seat). However, most tour helicopters have modified windows that allow a great view from any seat.

Important, if you start feeling sick, tell the pilot and DO NOT look inside the aircraft. Keep your eyes outside on the horizon. Have an air vent if possible positioned in your direction.

Helicopters ride smooth compared to an airplane.

Most people that would normally get motion sickness do not have problems in a helicopter.

Ecstasy 3/03 Los Angeles

Inspiration 8/04 Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;29;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500scuba.gif

i have ridden hundreds of times in everything from small(bocal 105's) to big(Sikorski 76), and have never had a problem, but i do agree with the poster above, if you have a problem with motion sickness in cars, go ahead and use a patch or medication before the ride. the only problem i have in a helicopter is staying awake as they all have a bit of a shimmer that tend to put me to sleep. glad i am not a pilot, don't see how they stay awake! lol

Proud members of O.A.T.C.

Inspiration Sept,2001

Celebration Jan,2002

Celebration Oct.2002

Conquest Sept, 2003

Elation Feb. 2004

am369.gif

from the Alligator capitol of Texas- we dance to the Raggae beat!!!

diver_e0.gif

Archived