smoking on RCL

Did we really need to resurrect a 6 month old smoking thread? Haven't we got enough to fight about? ;-)

Maybe combine this with an old booze smuggling thread and entitle it " How to smuggle booze inside you pack of cigarettes."

I will just say this to all the smoke haters out there... before they changed laws for smoking in public places i guess non of you ever went into a public business the way "some" of you complain about it which i find VERY hard to believe.

Now lets complain about something else. I cant stand the smell of alot of perfumes and it turns my stomach . some people are chain perfume users and it bothers..

Yes i like to stir the pot :D

I will just say this to all the smoke haters out there... before they changed laws for smoking in public places i guess non of you ever went into a public business the way "some" of you complain about it which i find VERY hard to believe.

Now lets complain about something else. I cant stand the smell of alot of perfumes and it turns my stomach . some people are chain perfume users and it bothers..

Yes i like to stir the pot :D

Exactly. Let's complain about something else. I can't stand rowdy, noisy kids. And what really drives me up a wall is rowdy, noisy kids that smoke in the non-smoking area !!!

Don't even get me started talking about the kids that smoke and wear too much perfume or cologne.........OMG I'm gonna explode.

Wrong. This logic is extremely flawed. We didn't like it then either, but the law wasn't on our side. There have been many things over the course of history that were once acceptable that have had laws changed to make them unacceptable.

Child labor was once acceptable, widely-practiced, and became outlawed. That doesn't mean that prior to the law kids loved to work like that.

It was cool in years past for kids/babies to ride around in cars without seatbelts or car seats, but that doesn't mean anyone who says they are happy those laws exist in 2013 is stupid because for decades kids rode around without them and you couldn't drive to the supermarket without seeing someone doing it.

Shoot... it's admittedly the FAR extreme end of this, but it was once acceptable to beat your wife in your own home. That doesn't mean women loved that prior to people actually being thown in jail for it. It doesn't mean that since some wives were beat up, why did women even get married back then if they didn't want it?

Point is, using logic that you shouldn't complain today because things were once worse is out of whack. Smokers could just choose to ignore nonsmokers and the nonsmokers couldn't really do anything about it. That doesn't imply consent or acceptance, it just means they (we) couldn't do much of anything about it in those days. So they (we) changed the laws.

Wrong. This logic is extremely flawed. We didn't like it then either, but the law wasn't on our side. There have been many things over the course of history that were once acceptable that have had laws changed to make them unacceptable.

Child labor was once acceptable, widely-practiced, and became outlawed. That doesn't mean that prior to the law kids loved to work like that.

It was cool in years past for kids/babies to ride around in cars without seatbelts or car seats, but that doesn't mean anyone who says they are happy those laws exist in 2013 is stupid because for decades kids rode around without them and you couldn't drive to the supermarket without seeing someone doing it.

Shoot... it's admittedly the FAR extreme end of this, but it was once acceptable to beat your wife in your own home. That doesn't mean women loved that prior to people actually being thown in jail for it. It doesn't mean that since some wives were beat up, why did women even get married back then if they didn't want it?

Point is, using logic that you shouldn't complain today because things were once worse is out of whack. Smokers could just choose to ignore nonsmokers and the nonsmokers couldn't really do anything about it. That doesn't imply consent or acceptance, it just means they (we) couldn't do much of anything about it in those days. So they (we) changed the laws.

Let the congregation say AMEN!! It is called learning from past mistakes.:D;):D

Let the congregation say AMEN!! It is called learning from past mistakes.:D;):D

OMG, what direction has this thread turned into.......lol. Child labor, kids in car seats and beating your wife in her own home. Isn't it about time for someone to chime in with a daily HELP HELP HELP...........I am leaving in 14 months and I need the menu to Portofino by the end of business today. :D

OMG, what direction has this thread turned into.......lol. Child labor, kids in car seats and beating your wife in her own home. Isn't it about time for someone to chime in with a daily HELP HELP HELP...........I am leaving in 14 months and I need the menu to Portofino by the end of business today. :D

Don't confuse my comments for straw man arguments. I'm firmly on the point of smoking and not trying to detract from that by mentioning those other things.

My point is firmly in the realm of just because something used to be acceptable, that doesn't make it wrong to find it unacceptable today. People still found it unacceptable then. They just didn't have the legal backup they have today.

As an older member of the "boomer" generation, I would like to apologize for any part I had in raising the current "entitled" me centered generation. From the time they were born, everything centered around them. So as not to hurt their feelings, everyone became a "winner" in sports and got a trophy for participating. Grading scales were modified to allow more children to get A's and B's and get on the honor roll (3/4 of the kids were on it when I retired from teaching). Every whim was catered to and their opinion was highly valued.

Fast forward, The rules are not for them; they're for others. I don't smoke, but I realize smoking is not only legal, but also an important revenue stream for many taxing bodies. Since it is not illegal, provisions should be made for those who smoke to smoke. I dislike perfume and aftershave; it bothers me. I don't ask for the ship to be perfume/aftershave free. Drink prices are high. I don't feel entitled to smuggle liquor because of high prices. In a civilized world, people dress nicely when going out to a nice dinner. I don't feel entitled to put on a tee shirt and ripped jeans and show up at the main dining room. The signs are posted in areas that kids are not allowed, so I don't feel as if my grandchildren should be there. I watch others bring their kids into the adult only pool because they feel entitled. These are the same folks who are entitled to a chair by the pool, whether they use it or not (aka chair hogs) It goes on and on, but I won't -- except to say regardless of how you were raised, the world doesn't revolve around you and your wants/needs if you are a part of this group. Have consideration for others and their rights also. End of rant; beginning of flame "but I". . . .

Don't confuse my comments for straw man arguments. I'm firmly on the point of smoking and not trying to detract from that by mentioning those other things.

My point is firmly in the realm of just because something used to be acceptable, that doesn't make it wrong to find it unacceptable today. People still found it unacceptable then. They just didn't have the legal backup they have today.

Hey Poncho, saw this over the weekend and thought of you. Not the exact situation you had descibed in a previous post but similar. I laughed when it reminded me of the story you told me.:D

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/03/22/social-smoking-comedy-campaign.html

Hey Poncho, saw this over the weekend and thought of you. Not the exact situation you had descibed in a previous post but similar. I laughed when it reminded me of the story you told me.:D

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/03/22/social-smoking-comedy-campaign.html

That is so awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Archived