Disappointed "MOMS"

grandmaLUU

This part of my response is to the OP ...

She called NCL and it took her quite some time to find someone who knew what was going on. She also got conflicting information about how they were handling the refunds.

Please by all means don't take this to be rude but I just have to say some things... When NCL 1st began making call outs to passengers booked they just expected the ship to be a little late, so they called & advised of the delay. Then, once they realized the ship would be in much later they called again to advise the sailing would be cancelled. Now, I'm not sure if they were able to get ahold of all 2200+ passengers, BUT at least they tried, JEEZ!

They could have ordered some pink carnations from the floral supplier for the ship and handed them out to the approximately 1000 pax who showed up at the pier.

There was actually less than 50 people who showed up @ the pier for this cruise....

I would have thought after all the negative publicity with the wave incident, they would have wanted to avoid another PR problem, but it didn't seem to concern them.

Would you rather the Capt. have kept going on full speed... I'm glad the passengers onboard the 5/1 cruise returned back to NYC safely. I'm getting the impression that whatever would have been done would still be wrong to you.

As for the refund - they owed us that. Since the price for our cabin (a mini suite shared by 4) was only $214 the 50% credit wasn't much, and they seem to pass these out like RCCL passes out "Ship Bucks" because they know people frequently won't get to use them. The 100% credit was only on cruises of 10 days or more - not something a lot of people can afford to do time or cost-wise.

NCL doesn't have to issue any future cruise certificates, they choose to do that. Why don't you give your opinion about the RCCL Granduer of the Seas issue- tell me how you feel about those passengers only receiving a $250 obc & NOTHING else?! NCL gave all passengers in the affected cabins (from the Wave) 100% refund, obc (I forget the amt), a 50% ccc, AND they will also receive the NCL VIP pkg on their next cruise... And the passengers whose cabins weren't affected recv'd a 50% refund, obc, & 50% ccc. NCL truly went above & beyond for these guests. Oh, & as for the 100% ccc for the Mother's Day cruise, not all of the sailings were 10 days.

100% CCC sailings:

· Any Dawn sailing from now until and including the 7/31/05 sailing

· Any Crown sailing to Bermuda through the end of June 2005

· Dawn sailings: 10/9 & 10/19/2005

· Norwegian Spirit sailings: 11/27 & 12/8/2005

I think you should have done some homework before bumping this thread back up!

I joined simply to meet up with some of the posters on the RCCL board which I did and we had a great cruise.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise after being so disappointed by NCL:)

Again, I feel the need to reitirate- I do not mean to come off being rude, I guess we all just have a difference in opinions, but I really don't like when people ramble on w/o facts. I think NCL has gone above & beyond for all their passengers who have had issues.

As a travel agent also, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the mix. When the changes were being made to this sailing, we, as a travel agency, were kept up to date constantly. Almost to the point of overkill. We received faxes and emails at least once an hour. I can't speak for people who booked directly with NCL, but for people who booked through a travel agent, you need to look at in that direction. Cruise lines pay us commision for a reason. Yes, most of the time it's a simple booking, one or two phone calls and everything goes fine, but when there's a problem, it's the travel agents problem and that's what they get paid commission for. It's the travel agents responsibility to stay in touch with the cruise lines and inform their customer of any and all changes. It's also the travel agents responsibility to update their records with the cruise lines so the cruise lines are able to contact them if changes like this occur. If the cruise line has an incorrect fax number or incorrect email address, how are they supposed to get in touch with the travel agent? I'm not saying this was what happened with your booking, but I find it a little funny that every agent in our office received no less than 10 emails from NCL regarding this issue, and your sister didn't receive one. Sorry, just can't see NCL getting the blame on this one.

Well said heinrich, seems it's always someone else to blame. Bottom line is there is always a risk of some unforeseen circumstance coming up, so, deal with it gramma. Flights get cancelled all the time so why should cruiselines be any different.

Well, aren't you all smug and superior. I guess you have forgotten that in July of 2000, you were a first time poster as well.

I don't consider myself smug and superior at all. I used my judgment to consider whether this was a sincere, honest and valid post versus a troll wanting to stir the pot - a disgruntled person who was quite possibly using a newly created identity to take another potshot at NCL.

I can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt if my first post was a rant against a cruise line or particular ship. Whenever that's the case with a first post, I get cynical. Sue me.

And for the record, it was the OP's first and ONLY post. No follow-ups at all in a week. Yes, I realize the OP isn't obligated to return and "converse" in the thread, but to me it serves to reinforce my theory that the OP was indeed just stirring the pot.

To Cyber Kat: it's possible that you misconstrued my reaction to the OP. I was not exhibiting anti-first-poster bias. I, along with everyone else on these boards, welcome newcomers. They are the lifeblood of a message board. I have not forgotten that I was once a first-time poster. As I said in my previous post, I was reacting to what I considered a hit-and-run troll who was just trying to stir the pot.

To Cyber Kat: it's possible that you misconstrued my reaction to the OP. I was not exhibiting anti-first-poster bias. I, along with everyone else on these boards, welcome newcomers. They are the lifeblood of a message board. I have not forgotten that I was once a first-time poster. As I said in my previous post, I was reacting to what I considered a hit-and-run troll who was just trying to stir the pot.

johngl you are right on target. Normal first time posters chime in with a question or an answer to another members post. They are quickly adopted and respected by most.

Trolls or those that have a axe to grind, post a flaming story and add nothing to the value or fair exchange of information on the boards. Just here to stir the pot not to help others or even listen and learn.

If the OP here was in fact who the said they were and had been lurking on CC and then got upset and posted they would have known there was an issue with this cruise . I did and I was not even booked on it.

johnql ~ I support you 100%. I have received my fair share of persecution on these boards. Water off a duck, comrade. I agree, I think the OP was just trying to stir up trouble. I've only been a cc member for a few weeks and I've seen that happen over and over again. Some people really get off on upsetting others. Keep posting, my friend. I thoroughly respect your opinion :)

Archived