Question on Bora Bora helmet dive?

LUV2TRAV3L

Just got back from the TP. For our cruise, I think the times were around 8:45, 10:45 and 2:00. Warning - this tour will sell out quickly. You board a little boat at the pier and are taken out to a boat anchored onto the reef where the dive actually takes place. Time in the water is about 1/2 hour. We had 11 people total on our tour and they took us down in two groups. 6 people went down first, then when they started coming up one by one, we were allowed to don the helmet and go down. I was a little apprehensive at first, but it truly was an awesome tour. Also, even though it was overcast, my photos turned out really good.

Christine

We did this same excursion on Moorea from Vincent Lelong @aquablue_pf@hotmail.com, and it is very similar to the excursion on Bora Bora offered only through the ship. Two times are offered one at 10 AM and another a 2 PM both are ~two hours in length.

In my opinion, this was one of the very best excursions I've ever done, and I highly recommend it! You are filmed underwater feeding the fish and stingrays by one of Vincent's partners as he guides you underwater and then you have a choice of either purchasing a video DVD or 35 best still photos on a CD. I am waiting for my CD and after I receive it I will post some of the pictures.

I agree, best excursion I have ever been on. As Nautical but Nice said, they take six people down first. We were allowed to stay underwater approx. thirty minutes per person. They had a mesh bag tied to the helmet, and in it was a loaf of French bread. All you had to do was give it a squeeze, and the crumbs would attract hundreds of beautiful fish.

Also echoing N but N, you should book online before you go. I would advise getting the earliest time slot so that the fish will be hungry and more active. Be sure that you take several underwater disposable cameras down with you. I used mine up very quickly, but the pictures turned out great. You can see them online on our website at www.thepreismans.com

Enjoy,

It may be awesome for some people, but it scared me half to death!! The sea was really rough, and the dive should of been called off, but we all went anyway. Getting in the water as they are lowering you, and getting out is the hardest. At first I thought I would never get down the ladder. Unplugging my ears as I went along (that never worked) my head getting bashed around in the helmet, finally I did get down. It was so beautiful. I also have claustrophobia, and was starting to panic, and feel like I was going to sick in the helmet (motion sickness from the rough seas) I stayed down for about 25 min. I had a hard time getting out. My head was hitting all over inside the helmet, I thought the little breathing tube was going to break my teeth. I was not alone though. One man was afraid to go down at all and another man came up after 10 min. I guess they were the smart ones. My husband told me " What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger." That's easy for him to say!!!!!!:eek:

HaloV, I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience. However, I feel I must point out that the problems you experienced seem to be more related to the weather conditions than to the helmet dive itself. We had no strong current.

You also mentioned, "I thought the little breathing tube was going to break my teeth." On our dive, we did not have a breathing tube in our mouths. The air came into the helmet itself, and there was nothing in my mouth.

As for clearing my ears on the way down, I was very concerned about that because I have trouble with pressure on airplanes. However, the dive guy told me that I could actually reach up under my helmet to hold my nose and blow to clear my ears. This worked beautifully for me. I could even reach under the helmet to scratch my nose!:D

Carol, I did not have anything in my mouth, the tube that provided air was attached to the helmet. It did stick up though. I don't want to scare anyone, but if we would have known what to expect, I think it might of been a little easier. Yes, we also could of stuck our fingers under the helmet, which some people did. (but didn't work too well) I didn't feel too bad because I actually made it down, when about three people couldn't (or wouldn't) do it. I can say I have done it and most likely wont ever do it again. To each his own!! Just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

The helmet dive is good. Even better is the Discovery Scuba tour. I did both and got the bug. Now I am a certified scuba diver which is really the best!

The total best is a night dive in Bora Bora when the night creatures come out.

John

I want to sign up for the helmet dive with Princess on Bora Bora and I am thinking about doing this the first afternoon we are there. It is offered from 2 pm to 4 pm. Has anyone ever done this dive in the afternoon? Since it is the first dive of the day with Princess, does that mean the fish will still be ready to eat? Would I be better off to do it first thing the next morning?

Also, my husband does not want to do the helmet dive. If he is not signed up will they let him go with me out on the boat as a spectator? Just curious if that would be possible.

Thanks,

Jackie

We were on the Princess Bora Bora Helmet Dive, the first afternoon from 2-4pm. There were plenty of fish, the day was beautiful, and the tour was amazing. There is a scuba diver down in the water with you to help make sure that your ears have stabilized. If yawning doesn't work, she'll put her hand up into your helmet and help you to clear your ears. My husband had a moment of trouble, and she took care of it immediately.

I was a little apprehensive, but bvery glad I didn't "chicken out." There was an 8 year old on out trip, who did it (sorta scared from a recent snorkel scare with her father) and she came back up with the biggest smile!

Lisa

We did the helmet dive last week in Bora Bora day 2 in the morning (8am I think) I was scared to death (I am a natural born chicken) but I got down there & LOVED it! The divemaster was great in calming my nerves. My 8 year old went down next-she loved it too-then my husband & my 63 year old mom-we have fantastic photos of fish and of ourselves. It was a bit of a challenge to unplug my ears-but I managed.

The fish were everywhere-and they loved the bread so they hung out with us the whole time we were down there. It was a very fast 30 minutes. I highly recommend this-but it does sell out fast-so book before you go.

Remember, when you are on the boat-if I can do it-you can do it!

Nancy

Archived