Multiple starters and two entrees?

Sailinwfam

What are your thoughts on ordering multiple starters and two entrees at dinner in the MDR? Someone brought this up on our last cruise and it turned into quite a hot topic. Do you order more than one?

I say go for it. You've paid for it, why not use it? If you feel guilty, just use the "Oh, I've never had this before, I'd like to try this too" option.

It's vacation, not the school cafeteria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I dont unless I REALLY dont like what I ordered but I see no issue with ordering whatever you want and as much as you want.

If you are constantly ordering more I would consider tipping more to the wait staff due to the extra work they will be doing.

But I say, Let people eat as much as they want. I prefer this over the people at the buffet who pile tons of food on a plate and doesn't eat it all

Ordering multiples is likely one of the reasons why some favorites are no longer available. Furthermore if you order them to arrive all at once you monopolize table space. While if you have them arrive separately you monopolize the waiter's time. Two appetizers instead of one app and a salad is different.

What are your thoughts on ordering multiple starters and two entrees at dinner in the MDR? Someone brought this up on our last cruise and it turned into quite a hot topic. Do you order more than one?

Go for it. It's good insurance: if they mess something up

you have your backups! If everything comes out OK

BONUS! ;)

Agree -- you paid for it - do as many items as you want - you are on vacation - you have heard the saying - you will never see these people again lol - thing to do is order a couple starters at the same time and also the entrees - that way you dont have to wait - sometimes it gets so busy you cant get your waiter to get you a 2nd entree -- have fun

Hubby and I each order a starter and then we order something "adventurous" to share. The plate we share is usually something we have never tried. The same goes with the entree. We each order something and then usually get something on the "didja ever" menu to share.

I do it all the time, if there are a couple of starters that look good I figure why miss out. for the main course it depends on what I am ordering, some of the meals are quite filling and others like shrimp dishes and the lobster are easy to eat along with some other entree.

I almost always order a couple apps and main courses. I do it when we do the original order so the wait team does not have to make several trips. Good waiters will learn what I like and surprise me with extra dishes. The only time I order after initial order is if something is bad or not right (this does not happen very often). I always want to try more than one thing. The bad thing is I usually eat it all, shame on me.

I don't personally do that because I don't eat that much anyway. DH has ordered a couple of items a couple of times. But we have cruised with large groups of friends several times and some of the younger guys order several appetizers and entrees (lobster especially). If you order them all at the same time, it's not that hard on the waiters, they just pick them all up at once and don't have to run back to the kitchen.

We do this sometimes. My dh will see two dinners he likes so orders them both and we both will eat the second one.

The first time my sister cruised with us I told her to order twolobster tails because one was to little. The waiter brought two HUGE losbter tails for each of us. I think he did it to see our reaction. I don't know how we did it but we both stuffed them down, needless to say we didn't order dessert that night.

I can't see ordering more and leaving so much behind though.

Absolutely. But, we do YTD... There's nothing I hate more than getting the stink eye over ordering more than one type of soup when at a traditional seating.

Now that we do YTD? I order everything at once. Many times, I'll do 4-5 starters instead of an entree...

We tip very well at the end of the cruise.

WHO CARES what others think about what you are eating? :)

Nope unless I hate it and then the waiter suggest it. Not all you can eat buffet..oh but let's all do it and then complain about cutbacks???

People have been doing this on cruise ships long, long before the cutbacks. Hard to believe it just recently dawned on Corprate...(and FWIW, lower quality menu selections that people don't like doesn't cause them to order less, it just results in more waste).

I don't personally do that because I don't eat that much anyway. DH has ordered a couple of items a couple of times. But we have cruised with large groups of friends several times and some of the younger guys order several appetizers and entrees (lobster especially). If you order them all at the same time, it's not that hard on the waiters, they just pick them all up at once and don't have to run back to the kitchen.

Not entirely true. The waitstaff is limited to 12 plates a tray. But it does make it easier to get the first 12 then get the second.

Many times we have ordered a second item to try.

One cruise on the HAL Amsterdam we were going to share halibut and chips ,started a trend at the table and everyone followed suit. The waiter had the kitchen split the plates for us. It was easy for the kitchen as there was only 1/6 the amount of pax than on a regular cruise.

Not entirely true. The waitstaff is limited to 12 plates a tray. But it does make it easier to get the first 12 then get the second.

That is true, they would have to make a 2nd trip, one cruise we were on there were 'tray runners', crew who did just that, delivered fully loaded trays (not sure how they don't drop those:eek:) to several different stations.

DH and I have been with other 'new friends' at tables and some order appetizer long after the entrees came out, which causes one of the servers to run back to the galley and then sometimes the galley folks to pull one out from the back because they've already 'moved on' to the next course. This is particulary hard on Spirit class ships since the galley is down a deck and a set of escalators.

Archived