A walk to the Museum of Belize

marshhawk

I had asked around here several months ago about the Museum, and while no one actually answered me, I am back and wanted to give my feed back.

We boarded the tender to Belize City, and as we pulled away from the Carnival Legend, our tender captain pointed out where the life vests were and then asked if we all heard him. I think we all mumbled "yes" and he said good, because he and the crew get off before the rest of us.:) We all laughed.

Yes we were paying attention, and that is something very important to do when you are in Belize City. Dirty, and falling apart? Yes. Under construction? Yes.

Maintaining itself? Who knows.

I stopped at the ladies room before we went out in the streets, as some streets in some cities are longer than others, and we walked out into the streets. I had a map printed out in my hands, but it was not very accurate-or it might have been, but we never saw any road signs.

Here was the mission-to go the the museum. The map verified that it would be a short walk. The museum folks who I had emailed back in March told me it was a short walk. But what a walk. The minute you walk out of the compound area you are fair game for all peddlers. And they are aggressive. They are hungry and poor, and they have a ride, a hair braiding, prostitution, taxe, tours, carved wood, paintings-you name it, they have it, and apparetnly Belize City is a big town to get your prescription, or non perscription drugs:rolleyes: at a very low charge.

stopping for now, be back in an hour:)

I'm back. Ok, we are walking the streets, we are being grabbed-well they handled my hubby more than me, but after the 10th person asked if we needed a ride, I asked the man where Queens or Queensland St was. I am looking at a gray building with the street name painted on it. He was telling me it was very far-and I asked "is that not the street?" and he answered yes, and I said "no thank you, we are not lost now." We never were lost, but misplaced to say the least.

I live in Atlanta. I use public transportation. I gave up riding on the trains elevators because they smell like urine. The streets in Belize smell like horse piss, and that is not even an improvement, because the heat makes the smell even more "fragrant".

We turned up on Queens St. and turned to our right. At this point there was a side walk. Some of it was caving in. It is one person wide. Every few cement sections there was wood slates-for flooding? for septic system? for drainage? but the wood slates were breaking or broken, the cement was caving in, and you really REALLY had to keep your eyes open. It was only two blocks from the turn, one street was being dug up, but that didn't effect us. The museum was at the end of the street to your left.

It was an old peneteniary, that had been converted into a museum. There is a stamps of Belize section, a bugs of Belize section, (these two areas were airconditioned) (ahhhh!) the history of hurricanes in Belize City, some history about the prison itself, and a section of artifacts that had been found through out Belize. Not much, but very beautiful, educational and except for three other patrons-empty. The cost to get in, $5.00 american dollars.

I work for an arts center in Atlanta. It is associated with the High Museum. I had written to the Belize Museum back in March. When we got there is September, I thanked the girl at the front desk to whom ever had been so wonderful in responding to my email. She asked me where I was from. And I noticed that when she had printed our receipt she had put my name on it. She remembered me from 7 months prior. Wow! Now that is good customer service!

This is the piece that I really wanted to see-

IMG_2633_zps35132050.jpg?t=1348017077

this is the design-unwrapped-

IMG_2634_zpsfd9fc1ee.jpg?t=1348017079

A few more pieces-

this was hung on the wall in a corner-

IMG_2635_zps0f45cbb4.jpg?t=1348017085

IMG_2639_zps90df2369.jpg?t=1348017090

There is not a lot of any particular exhibit, but all of them were beautiful and educational, and if you support the arts, where ever you go-then please, brave the streets and visit this museum. Or donate to this museum.

Across the street from the museum was a small two story school, it was recess time and the children all in blue uniforms were running up and down the steps, as there was no real playground area for them. And yet they were happy.

Next foor the museum, was a very beautiful well cared for building. Silence was every where, and I asked my DH what he thought the building was. He said it was probably a convent. He referred to it as Our Lady of Perpetual Sweat-

IMG_2641_zpsb115c1f3.jpg?t=1348017093

We never could find our way behind the Museum or the Convent, so we just followed the road back, and we ended up right at the tourist town port area. We even surprised the aggressive vendors.:D As we came up behind them:) and they were not expecting that. We decided as hot and thirsty as we were we would check out a few shops and then after that we just got back on board.

I hope this answers any questions regarding my adventure-and that please be aware, but please support the arts no matter where you go.

The Museum of Belize-throught the thick walls-

IMG_2640_zpsaa402ba2.jpg?t=1348017091

How about posting a map of how to get there with your refining comments on how to really get there ?

Thanks.

Bill in FL

Great idea! Lol. We lived in Okinawa so I'm familiar with the problem of no street signs. Maps aren't very useful in that situation. It's more helpful to know "turn left at the purple house or turn right at the big rock." :)

map_of_belize-city.jpg

The tender takes you a little left of the Lighthouse. There is a man made tourist port, when you walk out you are on Font St, turn to the left, it merges with Front ST-(what sidewalks? I dont see any here)-then turn right on Queens ST, and walk to the end-In front of you at that point are the barred gates of a bank, to the left is the Museum.

I did have a better walking map-I thought, but since it really didn't match where we were, useless! This area is not huge at all. While it looks massive, it's not. If we hadn't been hassled, stoppped, and had people grab us, it would have taken about 8 minutes to get there. Sure as heck took no time at all to get back.:)

Archived