Carrying wine around the ship

Gopherville Gal

Are we permitted to move from place to place with our glass of wine in hand...maybe begin with it on deck, then move to our private balcony, for example?

Based on our experience, it wasn't a problem. We'd often start a drink in one place and finish it somewhere else, like getting a drink at La Palette or the piano bar and taking it to the Grand Salon or to our cabin. The only time you can't bring alcoholic beverages with you is when you're heading to the muster drill. Also, I believe they serve drinks in plastic glasses on the pool deck for safety reasons, so you'd also want to avoid bringing glasses onto that deck. But otherwise, feel free to roam!

I am sure you can if you want. Otherwise I am sure you can order wine to your cabin using room service. Do tell them the wine you like to make it easy on them.

We never ordered any wine by room service last time we sailed but may consider it this time. Is it complimentary or is there a charge?

Complimentary of course. I think we only ever ordered wine in room service once when in 2005 the ship first went to open bar. Since then we find in more pleasurable to pop over to the lounges. But we do reside on deck 4 usually so dont have a balcony.

As you might be able to tell from our Avatar, we are aspiring experts on the bars on the PG. Yes, you can get a drink anywhere and take it anywhere, including to and from the dining rooms.

We have not bothered with alcohol in the room in three or four sailings. It is too much fun to be out on the deck, or at least in a public bar!

I can just see us doing the same thing, Escriteur! We're excited to get on board....first time on the PG, traveling with a block of 'Road Scholar' (formerly Elderhostel) participants. Thanks to you and Emdee for your quick responses.

You are absolutely going to love it, Gopherville Gal. :) This was our first cruise on the PG, and we can't wait to go back! The "Road Scholars" sound like a fun group to travel with; I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time.

We never actually tried ordering wine or other alcohol from our room; they do keep the fridge stocked with a couple kinds of beer, but we were more inclined to order our drinks from the bar because we loved chatting with the bartenders (especially Elmo and Jonathan in La Palette; we didn't actually meet Emdee's favorite, Efren, until the end of the cruise).

Elmo

ry%3D400

Jonathan

ry%3D400

Oh, and at dinner, the wine stewards will offer you the featured red or white wine of the evening; but if you have a particular type of wine you like, just let them know and they'll be happy to oblige. I'm a white wine drinker, but I don't care for chardonnary; so the sommeliers always offered to bring a riesling or sauvignon blanc for me. They also do a nice moscato for dessert. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Escriteur...boy, were you right....we loved it! And we carried our drinks here and there (or one of those marvelous wait staff carried them for us). Had some great sauv blanc when I didn't care for the offered chard. As for Efren,Emdee, wow. He had our names and our drinks memorized after the first night.

Escriteur...boy, were you right....we loved it! And we carried our drinks here and there (or one of those marvelous wait staff carried them for us). Had some great sauv blanc when I didn't care for the offered chard. As for Efren,Emdee, wow. He had our names and our drinks memorized after the first night.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves...and received the same fabulous service we've all come to know and love. :) Their sauv blanc was really good, wasn't it?

No idea how long it'll be before we can book another Paul Gauguin cruise...but we're already looking forward to it!

Gopherville Gal,

So glad you had a good time.

Efren is a real treasure - they all are.

Cannot wait for Jan 23!

Efren, Elmo, Jonathan...the list goes on...they are ALL amazing!

MD- I can't wait until next summer, we are going to hide out in your suitcases...I hope they are sturdy!

Archived