Seattle - What to do?

lmmn

We have six hours to tour downtown Seattle. We've not been to Seattle before and would like some recommendations on places not to miss. It will be my husband and I and two teenage children.

go to Pikes Fish Market. Very interesting place and different experience. Go up the Space Needle.

Last time I was in Seattle, many years back, public transportation on the monorail thing was free, hopefully that is still the case now.

It's the Pike Place Market, no 's, and there's lots more than fish flinging to entertain you.

The monorail is not free and hasn't been for years. The Space Needle is okay but frankly your view from the ship as it leaves port will be just as good if not better.

Hit the Pike Market area, then take any bus on First Avenue (free in the downtown zone) south (downhill) to Pioneer Square (get off at Yesler) and poke around one of the US' largest National Historic Districts - shops, galleries, etc. Then walk up Jackson Street (eastbound) to Sixth Avenue and the Chinatown/International District, turn right and walk two blocks to the Uwajimaya Village shopping center. This is a huge Japanese/Pan Asian supermarket/food court/shopping complex that will give you a real insight to Seattle's role on the Pacific rim. Buy some take-aboard goodies (lots of very cool Japanese chocolate thingys, cool crackers, fruit, etc.) and have lunch at the Asian food court - quite unique with Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Hawaiian stalls and communal tables. Very fun and cheap. Don't miss the fish section in the Uwajimaya supermarket, and go play "name that vegetable" in the produce section. Way cool.

Then back to Jackson and look for the waterfront streetcar that will take you right to Pier 66 (if that's where you're sailing from) or to the bottom of the Pike Place Hillclimb, or to any of the waterfront shops, aquarium, etc., if you still have time for more sightseeing.

Gardyloo:

Thank you for great suggestions on things to do in Seattle. We will be there from about noon on a Wednesday until we board the ship mid-day Thursday. Do you have any more suggestions beyond what you recommend above? I am travelling with my DH and 2 DD's ages 12 and 15.

Thank you!:D

You could add a day outing to Whidbey Island, or lots of shopping opportunities downtown, or the University of Washington arboretum, or a ferry ride across Puget Sound to Bainbridge Island for lunch or strolling (no car needed) or drive to Tacoma to the Museum of Glass or various excellent museums in Seattle, or... the list is awfully long. What particular interests do your family members have?

Also the Seattle ducks tour .. our group is doing that one morning before our cruise on June 4 .. highly recomended and it's 90 minutes... then we aer off to Pikes Market and Cutters for dinner. Space Needle day before and surrouding areas.

Thanks Gardyloo and Caroline for your suggestions!

Gardyloo: My 12 year old is a big music fan. I had heard of the Experience Music Project at Seattle Center. Is this something that is worthwhile? We're thinking of doing this on the day we get off the ship, since we have a very late flight out of Seattle.

My 15 year old daughter is a daredevil and she wants to check out the REI store and their rock-climbing wall. Again, is it worthwhile? It seems to be a little out of the way.

Above all, we want to see as much of what Seattle has to offer in the little time that we have.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions!

Cutter's is at the north end of Pike Place, (NOT Pike's - that's a Peak in Colorado) within the market district.

The EMP is architecturally interesting and easy to combine with a trip to Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.) The monorail from downtown actually passes through a part of the building. Take note the EMP is not cheap, and it's not terribly big, so the value/cost equation is tough for some people to handle.

The REI headquarters is on the north end of downtown - bit of a walk, easy drive, easy bus from downtown. The climbing "wall" (really a pinnacle) is very cool. It's one of those retail "destinations" that are getting scarcer nowadays, like the original Tiffany's or Harrod's.

If you have a car, you can make a very fun day out of it - visit Seattle Center and the EMP, then back to the REI building (locally REI will forever be the "co-op" and having a low - meaning old - membership number is something of a status symbol hererabouts). Then you can loop around Lake Union and see the houseboats a la Sleepless, then to the UW - beautiful campus well worth a drive-through, then over to Fremont, the Center of the Universe, to see the troll under the Aurora Ave. bridge, along with the local rocket and Lenin's statue in front of the Burrito shop. Funky and hip Seattle at its best - the kids (and their folks) will love it. Finish at the Ballard Locks, where the oceangoing boats get access to the Ship Canal and Lakes Union and Washington from Puget Sound. Check out the fish ladder observation windows at the locks to see if any sex-crazed salmon are making their fateful return trips.

If you get a car you can stow your gear while you tour.

OK, here are my suggestions. We just did Seattle in September (just me and DH). When we were there, I kept saying, "We have to bring the kids back here!" These are the things I kept thinking my kids would love. First off, I found the lunch at the top of the Space Needle to be AWESOME! I thouht the food was great and I thought the view was amazing. I truly enjoyed myself and I think my kids will love it, too. (We will be there on June 5 for brunch before we sail away to Alaska on NCL Star) We will also take the kids to the fish market, just because I think they will totally get a kick out of fish flinging. My son is also a music fan, so I plan on taking him to see the EMP. I also heard that the price was steep and that if you can get past that, then you will have a great time, but if you base your fun on price value, you will be ticked. LOL! Some of the other things I would like to fit in are a trip to the Air museum, a personal tour around Microsoft (my college roommate is a VP of something there), and I would love to take my kids on the boat cruise, but I know the only thing they would want to see is Bill Gates' house, which is interesting. I personally LOVED the boat tour along witht he commentary but I think it would be boring for the kids. I think the little jaunt through Chinatown mentioned in a post above sounds like fun too! Have you thought about a baseball game? My daughter and I are going to try to fit in a trip to the first Nordstrom's store, just to say we went there. I really need to see the shoe section. We won't buy anything (yeah right!). And is you have to eat dinner in Seattle, and don't have any idea where to go (although there are a million wonderful restaurants), one fun place to go is Bucca di Beppo's, which is an Italian chain restaurant, decorated super funky! My kids would love that place, but we won't be able to visit. So good luck! I think your kids will love Seattle. I do!

You can also take the water taxi over to West Seattle - have lunch at Salty's or get fish and chips right at the little pier. It's a great view of Seattle. Then you can catch the water taxi back - go to the Ye Ol' Curiousity Shop (south) - it's a great place for kids. The Omnidome theater at the aquarium is wonderful. A waffle cone at a shop on the waterfront, I can't remember the name of it but you can smell it before you see it!

The Underground Seatle Tour, Klondike Museum, Pike Place Market to see everything there and buy a bouquet of flowers for your cabin, Duck Tour, Lunch at Ivars or the Crab Pot, shopping at Westlake Center and that area (Macy's, Nordstroms, Pacific Place, Sephora...) - lot's to do. Use good judgement when walking around - the area walking between "the market" and the Westlake area looks a little shady but if you are mindful of your environment it's only a few blocks and you are in a nice area again. Westlake Center also has a nice food court on the top floor. This is also where you can get on the monorail to go to the Seattle Center/Space Needle. There are a lot of things to do to fill up a day without exhausting yourself.

Enjoy! We loved Orlando when we were there in 2003 - the heat, the access to 'real beaches', the palm trees, the people....ahhhhhh.

We too will be in Seattle noon the day before we sail. Planning on Pike Market and the needle. Not too interested in shopping (I'm from Scottsdale, AZ - land of upscale shopping!) What about those Duck tours? Are they worth while? We're also looking for someplace special for dinner. Just the two of us in our late 20's. Any suggestions??? No chains, please.

No chains, please.

You sound just like my husband and I! Our rule is that if we can find it in the DFW area, we don't eat there on vacation. While in Phoenix last weekend, we made sure to hit two favorites that we don't have here in Dallas.:)

Try the Pink Door on Post Alley in the Pike Market for dinner if it's nice. Their outdoor roof terrace is one of the best places in town for a couple's dinner. Italian, not terribly expensive. Look for a pink door (duh) on the alley - no other signage.

Plan B for a nice, intimate restaurant is Place Pigalle right off the main arcade in the market. Try for a window table where you can watch the ferries sail into the sunset (which will be behind the Olympic mountains - very scenic) - plus the food is pretty good, too. Pretty tiny place so advance booking is a good idea.

Elliott's Oyster House gets my vote for seafood - on the central waterfront commercial strip (just down the hill from the Market) - not exactly undiscovered but extremely good.

Or delve into one of the many great Asian places in the Chinatown/International district. Probably the best place for fish in a fish-crazy town, but a ton of variety too.

You sound just like my husband and I! Our rule is that if we can find it in the DFW area, we don't eat there on vacation. While in Phoenix last weekend, we made sure to hit two favorites that we don't have here in Dallas.:)

Where did you eat while in Phoenix? As I said in my post, we're from Scottsdale, but we're forced to live in Texas!! I think I could be hung for it that... We live about an hour north of the metroplex. Funny how it's just as hot here as it is there...but at least they have a DRY heat.

Thanks everyone for the input. I really wanted a water view, so I'll be sure to check out those places. Any need reservations??? It will be a Friday night...

Where did you eat while in Phoenix? As I said in my post, we're from Scottsdale, but we're forced to live in Texas!!

You're going to laugh... but... In-N-Out Burger (had that as soon as I left the airport!) and then Z-Tejas. This was a very quick trip out (Fri AM and came back Sat afternoon) We always go to the Z-Tejas in Tempe and sit outside. The Drift in Scottsdale was closed Sat for lunch :( so we'll go back there next time. Curt proposed while we were in Phoenix one year and then we went back for our one-year anniversary (Scottsdale) - plus little trips inbetween. He used to live there but transferred to Dallas. He would move us back in a heartbeat if he could! (I've never lived there) This time we were out in Chandler at Wild Horse Pass. He played golf, and I spent the day at the spa! Looking at the golf course in the heat of the day, all the girls relaxing out by the pool figured WE got the better end of the deal!! :D But yes- Phoenix last weekend was much more bearable than Dallas this weekend. Where in Texas are you?

You're going to laugh... but... In-N-Out Burger (had that as soon as I left the airport!) and then Z-Tejas. This was a very quick trip out (Fri AM and came back Sat afternoon) We always go to the Z-Tejas in Tempe and sit outside. The Drift in Scottsdale was closed Sat for lunch :( so we'll go back there next time. Curt proposed while we were in Phoenix one year and then we went back for our one-year anniversary (Scottsdale) - plus little trips inbetween. He used to live there but transferred to Dallas. He would move us back in a heartbeat if he could! (I've never lived there) This time we were out in Chandler at Wild Horse Pass. He played golf, and I spent the day at the spa! Looking at the golf course in the heat of the day, all the girls relaxing out by the pool figured WE got the better end of the deal!! :D But yes- Phoenix last weekend was much more bearable than Dallas this weekend. Where in Texas are you?

Mmmmm Z-Tejas. Good 'ritas...STRONG 'ritas!! It's hard to believe how much the Valley has grown in the past 15 years. When I first moved there I was only 12, and Shea Blvd in Scottsdale was the end of the earth!! Now it's non-stop to Anthem practically!

We've lived in a teeny, tiny town called Whitesboro for about 6 years now. It's up 35 between Gainesville and Sherman. My husband's parents got a crazy idea that they wanted to start a big equine breeding facility, and this area north of Hwy 380 is filled with horses, specifically the type we raise. So, we moved with them.

Took us a year to figure out that the only people making money in horses are the trainers, so we went back to what we know, and have been building custom homes in N. Texas and S. Oklahoma for about 5 years now.

My family is still in Scottsdale, and I get back there several times a year. I'm going in about a month. Can't wait for my "dose of the 'Dale"!

Next time you're there and up north, try El Encanto in Carefree. Wonderful mexican food. Or Element in Scottsdale. Very cool. For fabulous Japanese go to Saporo. Ugh, I'm dying. Here in Whitesboro, we have so many places to choose from...DQ, Sonic, Golden Chick, Subway or a mexican food restaurant. That's it. Jealous, aren't you?

This thread has been great of coming up with different ideas for Seattle. I had figured we would go to the Museum of Flight, but in phone calls to parents this evening, looks like Curt and I will save airplanes for a future trip. Leaning more towards downtown area stuff for precruise.

sredish - I've heard of Element - not sure where/why though. Curt's old roommate's parents still live there but just move north a little ways. He is always telling us where to go eat, yet we never have enough time!! But I know where you're talking about - a friend of mine just closed on a house in Savannah off of 380 this week and we're envious of her being able to move away from the city a little bit. But at least you have a Sonic! It could be a lot (okay - a little!) worse!! Looks like we'll be cruising at the same time almost - we're on 6/12 NCL Sun out of Vancouver, but flying to Seattle the 11th. Here's my email if you ever need to vent about this Texas weather offline!! mandygirltx at yahoo dot com

Deesouza,you are the only person that Ive found that thought the food at the top of the space needle was good! Everyone says go there but NEVER eat...interesting that you loved it..I had planned on going for drinks and the view,but decided not to eat there since all the locals said no...

What about doing the Spirit of Washington dinner train? Anyone done this? We get into Seattle around at 12:15,staying at a hotel d/t (which we wanted to go to first) and the train leaves at 6:30.The lady I spoke with didnt seem to think we would have enough time to get there.My hubby says "do you really think their traffic is WORSE that Houstons???" So,I callled them back,talked to a 2nd lady,and she said the same thing the 1st one did.Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also,I want to take the ferry over to Bainbridge or(??) Island.I read in one post a long time ago that most posters thought one island to be better...Which island by ferry would be best for walking around and maybe a lunch?

Thanks for any help,Dot

Archived