Thoughts about Xcaret

We were at Xcaret last April, though from land, not a cruise. Thought it was a wonderful, wonderful experience. Take your walking shoes and bathing suits, you can tube through the cenotes and caverns, they have live jaguars, a butterfly farm, and recreated Aztec villages. It is a monster of a place...very family friendly, lots to do...

Here is a recent thread on Xcaret that I contributed to. We were there at the end of April on Explorer. Amazing place, especially for children. Contained in the thread is the web address for Xcaret.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=174663&highlight=xcaret

I highly recommend this excursion, when we are back in Cozumel, we'll probably go back.

Also, if you are also going to Belize and thinking cave tubing, this is a great alternative because of the underground river. From what I have read and heard about the cave tubing, it's a pretty long hike into the jungle to get to the river, there are parts that are quite dark, and it seems that low water levels have been an issue. At Xcaret, you gently swim/float through the underground rivers and caves. There are several outlets along the way to get out if you or the kids get tired, but my 5 and 8 year old had no issue making it all the way through. The water is refreshing, not cold and not warm. It is crystal clear. The swim the whole river takes roughly 45 mins, so this is a very good value compared to Belize.

Enjoy your trip!

the only down side is that from Cozumel, it is an approximate 45 minute ferry crossing over to Playa Del Carmen. Then it is another 20 minute or so bus ride to Xcaret. And remember, you have to do this in reverse at the end of the day. We probably had 4 hours in the park.

Wishing we had just stayed on Cozumel and beached it there, or done Channakab (sp?).

Archived