DIY Day from Salerno to Amalfi/Positano

swcruise

Hello cc'ers.

I am doing some early advance planning for our Med cruise end of May 2013. As we will be one of the 1st of the 2013 season hitting Salerno, I wish to gather the experiences and any pitfall/gotchas from those of you who have already done this as a DIY day.

I have looked at the following website and will check back when they publish the 2013 schedule:

http://www.amalficoasts.com/amalfi/english/bus_ferries.html

My questions are the following :

1) We will be on RCI and from what I read you get bussed out of the port. Could someone give me directions ( to save time etc ) on how to get from there to a)Pzza Concordia for the ferry and b) Via Vinciaprovia for the bus ?

2) At this stage my throughts are to aim for the 8.40 am ferry, trying to guage by what time we would need to leave the ship to catch this ferry ?

3) We should be in Amalfi by 9 and will spend the morining there and pick up the 11.30 ferry to Positano getting there for 12 noon. We will most likely aim to get the 1.30 ferry back getting us back to Salerno by 2.30 pm. Do you think this is doable, or would we be better of picking one of these towns and exploring more in the time we have. Which would you pick if selecting one and why ?

4) Do the ferries work to time, anybody got experiences otherwise ? I will have the bus timetable as a fallback plan.

Looking at the RCI excursions for this year they do not offer these towns and as we have been to Sorrento/Pompeii before we thought this would make a nice change for a day out. Many Thanks in advance on pointers/tips you can give.

• 3 weeks later...
As long as weather doesn't impede them, the boats run quite close to the timetable, in my experience.

Is there a reason you want to cut your day so short? It seems like you are heading back to the ship rather early.

Hi Eurocruiser,

Tks for your feedback. We like to be up and out early, we even managed last year to be on the 7.30 am train to Rome and the ship just docked at 7. I guess my reasoning is leaving to go back early allows for any unforseen mishaps and the option of getting the bus if the ferries weren't running...

We just got back from Carnival Breeze in Sept. we ported in Salerno. It was my most favorite day out of our 12 day cruise.

We took Carnival shuttle out ( you are not allowed to walk). We were dropped off by the ferry. (we just told them we wanted to go to the ferry). We bought our tickets to Amalfi (English was not a problem). We were on the first ferry as we got off the ship at 8:00. Once we got to Amalfi we bought tickets to go to Ravello on the local bus. They sell the tickets at the little corner store across the street from the pier. Buy your return tickets there. Its the BLUE bus. Then you walk across the street and towards the beach to get the bus. I think it runs every 20 mins.

Ravello was beautiful and not crowded at all. We went up to the top to Cambrione Gardens. Breathtaking is all I can say. Well worth the 6 or 8 euros to get in! Then on the way down we had a fantastic lunch over looking the coast at villa Maria restaurant. After lunch we took the bus back to Amalfi, walked around, checked out the beautiful church, and the took the ferry back to the bus drop off location. It was the cheapest of all days and the most enjoyable.

Hope this helps.

We just got back from Carnival Breeze in Sept. we ported in Salerno. It was my most favorite day out of our 12 day cruise.

We took Carnival shuttle out ( you are not allowed to walk). We were dropped off by the ferry. (we just told them we wanted to go to the ferry). We bought our tickets to Amalfi (English was not a problem). We were on the first ferry as we got off the ship at 8:00. Once we got to Amalfi we bought tickets to go to Ravello on the local bus. They sell the tickets at the little corner store across the street from the pier. Buy your return tickets there. Its the BLUE bus. Then you walk across the street and towards the beach to get the bus. I think it runs every 20 mins.

Ravello was beautiful and not crowded at all. We went up to the top to Cambrione Gardens. Breathtaking is all I can say. Well worth the 6 or 8 euros to get in! Then on the way down we had a fantastic lunch over looking the coast at villa Maria restaurant. After lunch we took the bus back to Amalfi, walked around, checked out the beautiful church, and the took the ferry back to the bus drop off location. It was the cheapest of all days and the most enjoyable.

Hope this helps.

That sounds wonderful! Was Salerno the regular port stop, or was it changed from Naples? We are on the Breeze in October and our port stop is Naples. I would much rather it be Salerno! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello cc'ers.

I am doing some early advance planning for our Med cruise end of May 2013. As we will be one of the 1st of the 2013 season hitting Salerno, I wish to gather the experiences and any pitfall/gotchas from those of you who have already done this as a DIY day.

I have looked at the following website and will check back when they publish the 2013 schedule:

1) We will be on RCI and from what I read you get bussed out of the port. Could someone give me directions ( to save time etc ) on how to get from there to a)Pzza Concordia for the ferry and b) Via Vinciaprovia for the bus ?

2) At this stage my throughts are to aim for the 8.40 am ferry, trying to guage by what time we would need to leave the ship to catch this ferry ?

3) We should be in Amalfi by 9 and will spend the morining there and pick up the 11.30 ferry to Positano getting there for 12 noon. We will most likely aim to get the 1.30 ferry back getting us back to Salerno by 2.30 pm. Do you think this is doable, or would we be better of picking one of these towns and exploring more in the time we have. Which would you pick if selecting one and why ?

4) Do the ferries work to time, anybody got experiences otherwise ? I will have the bus timetable as a fallback plan.

Looking at the RCI excursions for this year they do not offer these towns and as we have been to Sorrento/Pompeii before we thought this would make a nice change for a day out. Many Thanks in advance on pointers/tips you can give.

We're hoping to do almost exactly as you have suggested, so I am pleased you have asked the questions. In fact, we're also looking at the end of May 13. I have only just started looking, but will share information if I stumble on anything.

Cheers,

Mark

• 6 months later...
Hello cc'ers.

We would like to do this exact plan when we are there in June, I would love a report on how your day went!

Archived