Packing mistakes

ncshp955

What is the one thing you really wish you had packed and didn't? Might get some good ideas from this. I have started a list (don't sail till next May) so I can hopefully not forget to much.:rolleyes:

After many cruises I've found that the biggest mistake you can make is bringing all the items on those ridiculous packing lists. When it comes to cruising, less is definitely more. I've learned to pack very lightly and I don't miss what I don't have. For a week I can live without carrying everything and the kitchen sink with me.

On one of my cruises I forgot to pack a pair of long pants/jeans. I guess I was not thinking of hitting any cooler temps, but at night it did get cool. Now, no matter where we go, or what time of year, I always make sure I have one pair of pants with me.

I have gotten a lot of great tips from this thread! Thanks for starting it, next May will be here before you know it! I've made a list of things NOT to forget in my "Date With Destiny" journal I'm doing in a hopes to be able to write a review when I return.

PS-the chocolates for the crew was an AWESOME idea! And seeing how I'm a couponer, I can get those for freeeee :D

I am surprised the number of folks on Carnival that took power strips as ours got nabbed and labled as a not allowed. It was returned at the end of the cruise.

We took a brand new, still in the package strip. I wonder if that makes any difference? Sure don't want to be without it. We'd manage but it made for alot less hassle.

First cruise I forgot my prescription sunglasses. Had to be at the airport at 3:00 am so they got left in the glove box. Miserable! Now I always make sure they're in my purse.

Last cruise as we're boarding the ship DH turns to me and says he forgot to pack swim trunks! Ship prices were ridiculous so he had to wait for our first port so we could buy a cheap pair. Gave him grief all week long! ;)

After many cruises I've found that the biggest mistake you can make is bringing all the items on those ridiculous packing lists. When it comes to cruising, less is definitely more. I've learned to pack very lightly and I don't miss what I don't have. For a week I can live without carrying everything and the kitchen sink with me.

We have usually cruised with a group. Every single cruise, without exception, we've come to the rescue for one of our group who forgot it, thought they had it, assumed the ship provided it, didn't think they'd need or want it, or just plain knew that I'd have it. We either saved their bacon or saved them money. We also manage very nicely with stowing all this stuff in a small cabin. We don't bring huge amounts of anything, just a good variety.

So...to each his/her own. Less is more, but more is better for me.

I am surprised the number of folks on Carnival that took power strips as ours got nabbed and labled as a not allowed. It was returned at the end of the cruise.

Instead of a power strip I bring one of these - works great in the cabin (and for other travel as well!)

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348667363&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin

What is the one thing you really wish you had packed and didn't? Might get some good ideas from this. I have started a list (don't sail till next May) so I can hopefully not forget to much.:rolleyes:

On one cruise it was pouring rain in Miami, and our suitcases got soaked, I assume when in the baggage carts that the porters use . Consequently, when we finally received our bags late that afternoon, all of our clothes had been wet for a long time -- soaked and smelly!.

Now I line the bag with plastic, and cover clothes with it.

I pack a tooth repair kit (very small 2x2) and a tube of oragel.

A few years back, my MIL had a toothache, she was treating it with wine and vodka. I bumped into a dentist on board and he said he would check her out to see if she needed to get it tended to before we were home...7 day cruise, pain on day 1. He tried contacting her room a few times, but she never answered. I thought that was very nice of him to offer that while on vacation.

Never forget air freshener. You will be in a small space with another human being. :cool:

Ziploc bags and lots of them. They come in handy for all kinds of stuff!

I pack some of the jumbo zip loc bags to stash dirty clothes in. I hate opening the closet door and smelling sweaty clothes and smelly socks. Many years back I would pack each swimsuit in a 1 gallon bag and stuff the bags with dirty socks etc for the trip back. Now I just take 2-3 of the huge jumbo bags to seal up the smelly dirty stuff until we get home.

Great thread. Lots of good ideas.

I am of the carry-on belief. We take a two week cruise with a few days added on either end with a carry on and a small bag. Since I stopped checking luggage, it has not been lost, misplaced, soaked, or late in arriving.

The trick is to take small sizes of everything (to be airplane proof).

It is impossible to carry enough clothing for a month's travel, so you get used to washing things out and wearing them more than once.

Since we live in Las Vegas, I carry about 10 or 15 "gambling chip"magnets with me that I hand out to desk clerks, helpful locals, etc. They seem to like the idea, but for ship stewards and waiters, they like that the chip is wrapped with real money.

I agree, the ziplock bags are great, especially for wet bathingsuits, another thing i want to remind the ladies traveling with teenage daughters, though we may not need them anymore, make sure your daughters bring "feminine products" (sorry men) i once paid 15.00 for a box 0f tampons in bermuda!!!

i always bring an assortment of zip closure bags. They are great for keeping small things together, and for making sure shampoo and conditioner, tooth paste don't get squished out and all over clothes. Use them for your wrinkle release and febreeze stuff as well.

Also they are great for keeping dirty clothes in.

I second the lip sunscreen and moisturizer tubes, i always take several now after losing one on the beach somewhere.

Archived