Packing mistakes

ncshp955

Just remember that when you are packing that nothing goes into your suitcase empty. Fill your mugs and insulated glasses with all your "baby" med bottles' date=' shoes are full of socks, belts, underwear, hats are great places to fill with swim wear. Use a fold on itself fabric jewelry bag, invest in a "hanging" toiletry case (find these at Target), put a small bottle of eyewash in your glasses case along with a glasses screwdriver where the screws fit in the handle, get perfume and cologne samples from your local cosmetic counter, [b']use a twice daily medications box instead of taking your prescriptions separately,[/b] find some mini ziplock bags 2" x 2" (craft stores) and fill with over the counter meds. Lastly buy real dogtags at your Army/Navy store (probably under $3 with 4 lines of info) and attach to all your luggage, camera, lap top, beach bag, purse.

However! Take a complete list of the names of the medication and why you are taking them, dosage strengths and times, and add your prescribing physician's name and phone number. If heaven forbid, an actual health emergency arises, you will have the full list of what the medications are rather than just the medication boxes or bags, and a physician anywhere can contact your personal physician. Also, if you are traveling with any narcotics or other controlled substances (pain pills, etc) you should have them in the original prescription containers.

That is all!

Oh, and I do love the post about forgetting to bring enough cash. I am right there with you!

Whenever we travel I ALWAYS pack stool softeners and Imodium. We are prepared either way.

And don't forget tums for in between!

As far as meds go...just bring the original bottle. I'm blessed that I only have one prescription med, DH has two.

DW is an excellent packer and I must give her credit very, very rarely forgets something. The only time was she forgot my dress socks and I wear burks the rest of the cruise, so we had to buy a pair. The only other thing we needed once was extra batteries. But I guess that's my fault cause I'm in charge of the electronics. ;)

In addition to a couple of large ziploc bags, we also bring two large trash bags where we store our dirty laundry to bring home.

Also, a couple of packets of travel sized Tide can be used to rinse swimsuits in the sink and then hang to dry and if you run out of undies, can be used to wash these as well!

Never in my wildest dreams did I believe that this thread would generate so many great responses. I really do appreciate everyones input and have really added to my list. I would have never thought of some of the suggestions seasoned cruisers have thought of either through mistakes or experience. Once again thank you all very much and if anyone is sailing on the Dream 5/18/13 hope to see you there.

I am a light packer. But I pack the OTC meds to cover a family of 5 adults (kids are grown but lucky to remember their own heads still). One of them got a cold on a trip and it was 13-14 bucks for cold medicine. NEVER AGAIN. I'll blow $500 on a flipping excursion, but ask me to pay 3x the price for cold medicine and I feel like someone lit me on fire and stomped me out! :D

Likewise for any feminine products. Don't forget them.

Other than the otc meds we travel super light and don't drag much with us. A watch is a necessity if you are doing ports on your own.

We've done laundry once or twice. I'd rather do laundry than pay for heavy bags.

I am a light packer. But I pack the OTC meds to cover a family of 5 adults (kids are grown but lucky to remember their own heads still). One of them got a cold on a trip and it was 13-14 bucks for cold medicine. NEVER AGAIN. I'll blow $500 on a flipping excursion, but ask me to pay 3x the price for cold medicine and I feel like someone lit me on fire and stomped me out! :D

Likewise for any feminine products. Don't forget them.

Don't get me wrong, we do our best to bring all toiletries with us and are annoyed when we have to pay 2 or 3X prices on board.

BUT aren't we,and half the posters here being petty and cheap? I mean so what if you have to buy antacid or whatever at rip-off prices.

What % of the total cruise cost is a 10 or 20 dollar container of suntan lotion, deodorant or whatever.

What's really crazy is doing without because you don't want to be ripped-off and I have done that too.:o

Needed sunglasses and refused to buy them until on shore and wasted time looking for them.

Yes we try to remember to bring everything we need but should also remember to relax and not sweat the small stuff (you cheapskates :p).

Also, I would bring a mesh bag for dirty clothes. The cabins aren't huge and there isn't really a space for them anywhere else.

Hope this helps! :)

I just designate one suitcase as the dirty laundry holder. For the family cruises I start with a large one, stood upright with the "top" unzipped so everyone can drop dirty clothes in. For a girls getaway cruise I use a medium sized one, unzipped and stored under the bed--easy to pull out and drop dirty clothes in.

During the cruise I pack away anything that I will no longer need, before that last night at sea. I hate spending so much time packing to leave when I could be enjoying those last minutes!

I pack a ziploc bag with things I might need but hope I won't: the already mentioned over the counter meds, small package of duct tape strips (Walmart), glasses repair kit, sewing kit, etc. I never take this bag out of the suitcase unless I need it--one less thing to unpack/repack. I keep an index of the contents inside the bag, facing out where you can see it, to prevent DH from dumping stuff out to see if I have an item packed in it.

On one cruise I used one of those "maybe" items and was SO grateful for it. I sprained my ankle on Labadee (and the medical staff was great!). Two days later the hot patch I'd packed really helped my arm/shoulder area--from the use of crutches.

I keep a detailed packing list complete with my outfit combos (no, not anal, just old and forgetful!). I put a copy of the list in my luggage for quick reference, and update it when I'm home unpacking from the cruise (this helps me to not pack too many shoes when I see how many I never wear!).

Hope this helps.

I'm a packing neat freak, organized nut with a packing list made from many things suggested on the boards.

I once thought I forgot something (dh's ties) turned out I really didn't forget them, they were in a zipper pocket that I missed while unpacking onboard. So dh got a couple of new ties while on the cruise. I found them while unpacking when we got home. :rolleyes:

I'm one of those who takes everything I want or may think I want/need. I usually appreciate everything I bring.

One thing I can suggest, lots of $1 bills and back up memory for your digital camera and change them out so if your camera is lost/stolen, you don't lose all of your pictures.

If it makes you feel any better several years ago I packed an expensive hat, but couldn't find it once on the ship. When I got home I tore the house apart looking for it, and decided it must have been stolen. Having had melanoma I had to buy another hat. One year later, when packing for another trip, ta-da, there my 1st hat was in one of the suitcases. My DD was very happy to get a new hat!

Regarding pictures, I'm a photo nut and carry several smaller MB memory cards. This way I can switch out during the trip, so if something happens to the camera or card I won't loose all of the photos I took.

If it makes you feel any better several years ago I packed an expensive hat, but couldn't find it once on the ship. When I got home I tore the house apart looking for it, and decided it must have been stolen. Having had melanoma I had to buy another hat. One year later, when packing for another trip, ta-da, there my 1st hat was in one of the suitcases. My DD was very happy to get a new hat!

Regarding pictures, I'm a photo nut and carry several smaller MB memory cards. This way I can switch out during the trip, so if something happens to the camera or card I won't loose all of the photos I took.

Extra memory cards to switch out. EXCELLENT idea!! I am going to do that for sure!

But last cruise I forgot to put the rain ponchos in the "excursion bag" and yep - we got soaked that day, but the ponchos stayed nice and dry in the stateroom.:rolleyes:.

I pack my excursion bag when I'm packing for the trip. A few things are duplicates--like chap stick--but it's easier than trying to remember to get what I need when leaving for an excursion. Chap stick, cheap ponchos, individual packages of sinus/headache pills, rain proof cover for my camera, a little cash (yes, I do have to add my ID and credit card before leaving the ship), sunscreen, off wipes, small pen & pad, a few snacks like peanuts, and so on.

I always pack a zip bag with an assortment of all kinds of meds. I did not take a rain coat to Europe----Bad mistake. Or a jacket for eastern caribbean. Last year we went in January and I was constantly cold. Who knew, we went the year before at same time and it was great!!I need the power strip!! travel alarm.

I get $100 in two dollar bills for each trip.

You would be surprised at the responses I get from staff members etc. Most have never seen one. :eek:

I thought that was a great idea, too, along with the $1 coins. Unfortunately, someone on CC told me some foreign banks have never seen them either and may not take them. Not sure how widespread it is, but the poster got her info from a tour guide in Australia. :confused:

Archived