Packing mistakes

ncshp955

Birth control. Nine months later little Destiny arrived at the pier.

Lol!! Too funny!

I agree, the ziplock bags are great, especially for wet bathingsuits, another thing i want to remind the ladies traveling with teenage daughters, though we may not need them anymore, make sure your daughters bring "feminine products" (sorry men) i once paid 15.00 for a box 0f tampons in bermuda!!!

Been there done that, now I bring them no matter what. Rather have them than not and then need it.

I'm making my packing list right now. I usually don't forget anything. My DH however forgot our formalwear for our honeymoon cruise. He was in charge of grabbing that the morning of our wedding before heading to the hotel where we were getting married. In the stress of getting married, making sure you have the tux and ring, etc. he forgot the formalwear. We about forgot my dress heels (in thinking we had the formalwear), but turned around and got them before leaving town. It wasn't until we were onboard getting our luggage that I asked "Where's the formalwear?" The look on his face was priceless. He made it up to me by getting me a swarovski gold dipped rose from the gift shop. And thankfully a purser worker had a dress that fit me perfectly that she let me borrow, and we rented him a tux.

I get $100 in two dollar bills for each trip.

You would be surprised at the responses I get from staff members etc. Most have never seen one. :eek:

I have read on here that the crew may have a hard time using them since many places do not recognize them as real US currency.

• 1 month later...

I've never forgotten anything major, but for some reason, every time I have a cruise booked I have a nightmare in which I've forgotten my bathing suit. Every.Single.Time. I have no idea why that is such a persistent fear of mine! :confused: Lol

Not sure if it has been mentioned but a highlighter. Someone mentioned on another thread, so I brought a couple on our last cruise. Every night before turning out the lights my better half and I would go through the Fun Times and highlight all activties and entertainment we wanted to do. Was very handy!

I sure miss perusing the Fun Times and thinking about all the cool stuff ahead the next day.:(

I always travel with a can of Lysol spray,Linen and Sky scent. I spray my clothes each night before I hang them in the closet. They smell nice and fresh the next morning so you can rotate clothes and wear them more than once.

I guess I better unpack. some stuff ( my pack mule will be so upset he won't be going ) :D

But I am ex airforce.. and have always been taught to take it all with you.. but I pack all the meds I may need. plus even have some liquid skin for a cut at the beach ... Tums, nose spray, bandaids, chapstick, seasick pills, antacids, sun screen, neosporin,

Then I got those cheep pool rafts that are flat when new.. I can blow them up and when its time to leave I just give it to some kids on the beach ... got them at the dollar store and cheeper then renting one..

Guess the mules back in :cool:

"Empty" plastic water bottles come in handy - since we have no problems with drinking ship water and prefer not to purchase bottled water as needed.

Fill from the tap (or pour from a cup at the dispenser) and you have shore excursion bottled water at no additional cost. Great for a take along to the pool to prevent dehydration. My shoulder bag has a holder area and I even walk on the ship with an empty (easier through checkin) in place.

Toss the empties the last night and you now have space in the suitcase for your purchases.

We always pack clothes in zip-lock bags; use the pop-up laundry hamper to hold dirty clothes and no longer take hangers as the room steward can always bring extras.

Ours wasn't brand new, in the package and I half expected it not to be in the suitcase when they arrived. However, it was... but we never even plugged it in. I am trying to decide whether to take one on my next trip as this time I am going with friends.

We took a brand new, still in the package strip. I wonder if that makes any difference? Sure don't want to be without it. We'd manage but it made for alot less hassle.

I used to pack too much stuff, but figured that out after 2 or 3 cruises.

The worst thing I forgot once was my flip-flops. Thank goodness the first port was Key West. Got a good quality pair for much cheaper than on the ship!

I forgot my flip flops to ... when I got back home they were sitting next to my closet .. thankfully the ship sold some really cute ones .. : )

I guess I better unpack. some stuff ( my pack mule will be so upset he won't be going ) :D

But I am ex airforce.. and have always been taught to take it all with you.. but I pack all the meds I may need. plus even have some liquid skin for a cut at the beach ... Tums, nose spray, bandaids, chapstick, seasick pills, antacids, sun screen, neosporin,

Then I got those cheep pool rafts that are flat when new.. I can blow them up and when its time to leave I just give it to some kids on the beach ... got them at the dollar store and cheeper then renting one..

Guess the mules back in :cool:

I did the cheep pool rafts on our cruise to Freeport. The kids we gave them to before we left had a blast with them. :)

Bungee cords and wire ties ...for ? not saying its a bad idea .. but not sure what you used them for :rolleyes: ?

One thing for the bungee cords is sometimes when I have my balcony partition opened, it opens to where it blocks my door, so I use the bungee cords to hold it open in away it doesn't block my door. Since you are not supposed to lock you 're suitcases, I use zip ties to hold the zippers closed while bags are being handled. Just a couple uses

Forgot to pack the wifey one time - left her at home. Biggest dullest cruise ever. Went with family and wifey had to wrok so she couldn't take the time off [school teacher]. To make matters worse it was a 7 day out of San Juan. Last time I agreed to cruise without her.

May not be popular but, where you parked your car. Every bus stop in the long term lot after a week looks the same. After 1 cruise I spent an hour at Dulles airport looking for my car because I got off at the wrong stop. The sad part is I wrote down where I was parked on the ticket and then proceded to leave it in the car :-)

I take my own first aid kit, small sewing kit and individual wrapped toothpicks that you get at restaraunts. They have come in handy when the screw came out of my glasses, just jammed a toothpick in and was good to go.

I pack water shoes and formal shoes. i wear my comfy ones onboard. I try to go with one color combo, ex black/tan or navy/tan. Then all shoes can be same color. I have a long reversable skirt & take 2 nice tops. Some shorts, a pair of capris, 2 swimsuits, coverup and a nite gown, several t shirts.

Brush, sunglasses, rain poncho, suntan lotion, tolietries (small ones from hotels) Pill a day dispenser for meds, but I put in extras like Excedrin, benedryl, tylenol PM.

Small drawstring bag for Lido deck or shore. Extra batteries for camera. Insultated mug to keep drinks colder longer and hold more.

Always take too much reading material because I spend all my time people watching or talking

What is the one thing you really wish you had packed and didn't? Might get some good ideas from this. I have started a list (don't sail till next May) so I can hopefully not forget to much.:rolleyes:

Throw a highlighter in with your stuff. It is a great help to highlight the things that you want to do on your "FunTimes". The print is small and the highlighter makes it so much easier to see when you need it. Took me about 3-4 cruises to figure that out.

May not be popular but, where you parked your car. Every bus stop in the long term lot after a week looks the same. After 1 cruise I spent an hour at Dulles airport looking for my car because I got off at the wrong stop. The sad part is I wrote down where I was parked on the ticket and then proceded to leave it in the car :-)

As we are waiting for the shuttle bus, I send a text to my daughter with the car location. Very handy.

Archived