Golfing in Bermuda

DisGeebs

My husband and I are all booked on the Explorer of the Seas for a 5 night to Bermuda. Since we will be in Bermuda for 2 days we are thinking about golfing there. Has anyone booked golf through RC? any experiences? good/bad? We know we have to get our own transportation to the golf course... but other than that, any info? Do you need to be really good golfer to play? Thanks for any info.

Last year we went to Bermuda on Carnival. They did not offer any booking of golf, so we did it on our own. We contacted Port Royal by phone. It was very easy to set up a tee time directly with the course. Since transportation isn't included there is no real benefit of scheduling it through the ship. To make sure I got there in time I set a time with one of the local taxi drivers to take me the next morning. When the round was done the pro shop called a taxi for my return.

Was great, we actually had the course to ourselves that morning. Oh you just need to be a golfer. The view spectacular and the one shot over the water is intimidating but have to take the the shot. It is only one ball if you miss. My favorite was the one tee where you sent it over the edge of the fort. Even for an occasional golfer it is an experience not to miss.

Just got back...

On RCI you must carry your clubs on board...(You cannot check them they will not be resposible for them)

Depending on how you golf...

PGA course that is closest to the ship is Port Royal

RCI does NOT book this course you can go on the web and book it yourself. Twilight I think starts at 3pm and it is 110 for 18.

There is also a 9 hole executive course Southampton Princess Hotel

and you can also book that online.

The Belmont course is the RCI course that you can book thru the cruise line at 150.

You will have to taxi to ALL of these courses....

A WARNING...taxis are EXPENSIVE pick a course close to the dock...

if you are a decent golfer Port Royal is your best choice!

Just got back...

On RCI you must carry your clubs on board...(You cannot check them they will not be resposible for them)

Depending on how you golf...

PGA course that is closest to the ship is Port Royal

RCI does NOT book this course you can go on the web and book it yourself. Twilight I think starts at 3pm and it is 110 for 18.

There is also a 9 hole executive course Southampton Princess Hotel

and you can also book that online.

The Belmont course is the RCI course that you can book thru the cruise line at 150.

You will have to taxi to ALL of these courses....

A WARNING...taxis are EXPENSIVE pick a course close to the dock...

if you are a decent golfer Port Royal is your best choice!

You can email Port Royal for reservations. It is $180 pp including cart.

Here is their address: prgc@bermudagolf.bm

There are no deals on the island. Golfnow.com can be used to book in advance, but they do not get any discounts.

The Fairmount (Southhampton) Princess is $85 as it is a par 3, but make no mistake, it is a tough par 3 and beautiful.

All other courses are further from the Dockyard, and a costly taxi ride. Mid Ocean (if you can get an invite), Riddell's Bay and Tucker's Point all are more expensive, but don't add more value than Port Royal. Belmont is only OK, but is close to Hamilton of you dock there.

Just be aware that Port Royal will be closed weekend of Oct 14 for the PGA Grand Slam.

Another course to consider is Riddell's Bay. It is a private course, but they do welcome visitors. IMO, it is a little more friendly for new golfers, and the views of the harbor are fantastic! Port Royal has beautiful ocean views, but is a bit more difficult especially if it is windy. We enjoyed both courses and would recommend playing both if you have the time.

Archived