Prices of Celebrity Mediterranean Cruises

Why do you think the price for the 11 night mediterranean cruise on Galaxy (Civitavecchia, Italy; Mikonos, Greece; Rhodes, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Istanbul, Turkey; Kusadasi, Turkey; Piraeus, Greece; Naples, Italy; Civitavecchia, Italy--starting at $1350 for May 22nd) is so much less expensive than the 11 night cruise on the Millenium (Barcelona, Spain; Villefranche-sur-Mer, France; Florence, Italy; Civitavecchia, Italy; Naples, Italy; Mikonos, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Piraeus, Greece; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Venice, Italy-starting at $1800 on May 14th and $1950 on May 26th)?

Is the Galaxy not as nice of a ship? Or could it be because of the ports? The Galaxy cruise appeals to me more because it goes to more places that I haven't already been, but if it's not a very nice ship, I wonder if it's worth it. Thanks very much for your help!

We are booking on the Galaxy Mediterranean Cruise for next June. From what I've heard, the Galaxy is older than the Millenium and not quite as nice, but if you go to Celebrity's website and look at the online tour of the Galaxy, it is still a beautiful ship. I don't think you can go wrong either way. :)

Laws of supply and demand...

$1350 for an 11 night Med cruise on ANY ship is a great deal...

The prices tend to drift up and down INDEPENDENTLY on all cruises depending on how they are selling...and sometimes there are bargains to be had...

The M-Class ships (of which Millennium is one) typically go for a little more than the older, smaller ships...like Galaxy...Doesn't mean the Galaxy isn't nice...it just doesn't have the demand there is for the Millie...more people seem to want to cruise with the bigger, newer ships (of course, there is a certain group that actually prefer the smaller, more intimate ships)...

I would never have a problem sailing with ANY Celebrity ship...The service and food are great, the ships are well maintained and luxurious...and I choose my cruises by the itinerary...

If the Galaxy itinerary appeals to you, by all means go for it...

And, at $1350, consider yourself to have gotten a steal...

We agree with Steve...we've been on the Galaxy 3 times (Alaska, Southern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, etc.) It's a very comfortable ship and the crew was great. Try the Thallaso therapy pool in the spa...well worth the extra charge...we usually do the week's pass (but you may not have much ship time to use in the Med.). The ship is definitely older and in some places it shows. Food was excellent and room attendants terrific. We'd go again in a heartbeat. We're sailing the Med. on the Millennium because of the itinerary and to try a different type of ship. I'm sure you'll love the Galaxy.

The cruise lines will have an awesome itinerary on the older ships because they will sell the itinerary and not the ship, they put the "cookie cutter" itinerary on the newer ships because they are selling the ship. They have been doing this for as long as I have been selling cruises (28 years) Steve is right ANY Celebrity cruise is a wonderful experience.

ENJOY whatever you choose.

The prices will probably go up, and it sounds like a very good price to me. An older Celebrity ship is probably nicer than some of the other ships sailing the area, so if I liked the itinerary and it was in my price range, I would book it. We care more about the itinerary than the ship, and if you are like us, you will be off the ship in port as much as possible.

Hope you have a great time.

Donna

The Millennium cruise is 12 nights vs. 11 for Galaxy, but even with an extra night, the cost is significantly more. I recently sailed on Zenith, also an older, small ship - and for the most part it was in terrific shape ... we had a wonderful time and Celebrity lived up to their good reputation and high standards.

The Galaxy is a great ship. We have been on it a couple of times. Our most recent cruise was on the Constellation, one of the M class ships and found that it sailed a lot rougher than the Galaxy. We heard that this is true of all the M class ships. It moved a lot.

Galaxy is a beautiful ship, albeit slightly older and smaller than its fleetmate Millennium. Looks like you've found an great itinerary for a really good price. I say book it. You can't go wrong choosing a Celebrity cruise.

Enjoy.

Today I priced the 10-day Galaxy 6/23/06 sailing r/t Civitaveccia. Stops in Villefranche, Livorno, Messina, Mykonos, Santorini, Naples. I was quoted $2,814 pp for a balcony cabin and $1804 pp for an inside for my kids, including all port charges and taxes. I don't think this is any great deal, because I've been quoted almost the same for a 12-day on the Golden Princess, leaving from Venice and ending in Civitaveccia. Princess is about $200 more total, but with an extra 2 days on board.

I agree: we paid $1,750 each (including all fees,etc.) for a 12 day Med cruise on the Brilliance, inside cabin on Deck 9.

Princess is usually more expensive from what I've been able to price.

The OP's cruise for $1,350 for 11 nights is a really good deal, IMO.

We paid $1750 for a 12 day Med. cruise on Celebrity Millennium - but we paid for it back in January. I think, for some reason, European cruises, have become increasingly popular this year, thus the high prices. There seem to be many more completely booked cruises and less last minute very good prices. We've sailed Celebrity for a long time and have found amazing prices by booking late for the past few years but not this year. Given the terrible US$/Euro exchange rate, I wonder what we're all thinking????

Archived