Internet package with 2 devices?

Familygoboston

I did a quick search but didn't see an answer to this. Is is possible to use 2 devices with one internet package? Does it work by a password? Or does the package "recognize" a device (and then wouldn't allow a second to connect)? In other words, would 2 people be able to be using the same package at the same time?

We don't expect to use much, but we are leaving teens home with a house sitter, have elderly parents and have to check in. And DH thinks he'll be able to share some photos via his new Iphone, but if we can only use one device we have to decide which one we want to use for facetime, since that's the priority!! We don't want to buy two packages because we don't expect to use that many minutes. Thanks for any help!

I think you have to use your room number and name to sign in so I dont see how you could sign it at the same time using two devices. This is something that you could ask. If you get the package to apply to both names - if that is possible - then you may be ok.

We get free internet for a fixed number of minutes each and so with our names and room number we can each sign in at a different computer but each of us has a different sign in and different allocation of minutes.

Thanks! I expect we will be spending most of our time with eachother "offline" which is the whole point of the trip;) But we need to check in and DH would like to send the family a photo or 2, it's great to know we can do that at the same time and spend less time going on line!

I need to make sure DH turns the phone off, tho- in my searches, the cost of cell service there is crazy!:eek: My research also noted that some people had good luck with service on Deck 6 in their cabin (specifically room 623) Our cabin is v close by there on 6, so I'm hoping we can use our cabin rather than use facetime in the public space; that feels like it would be disruptive! Tho with my kids and their drama; other passengers might find it entertaining:rolleyes:

We turned our iPhones to airplane mode so we could still facetime with the kids and use it for a secondary quick camera. The internet cafe is on Deck 5 if I recall. We were on Deck 4 and it worked really well and we could Facetime easily in our room. I would think 6 would be similar. Can't wait to see your review when you get back!!

Thanks ladies! Neither of us are really "phone" people, thankfully! My DH uses his for work, but when he's on vacation, hes very good about letting it go...of course he's not a physician! We recently traveled with 3 physcians in Ecuador and they shared how difficult it is to disconnect when you have relationships with sick, scared people, they want to hear from you:o Whether the new software releases (or not) is just not a life or death issue!;)

I can't wait to review...you know how much I enjoy reading them, so looking forward to my turn!

Two suggestions:

1 - Make SURE that your phone is in airplane mode and THEN turn on only the WiFi switch. You don't want to be doing cellular data over the ship's connection.

2 - The pool bar is the best place to use WiFi. That's my story and I am sticking to it!:o

My iPhone worked 1000 times better/faster on board than the computers in the internet room.

We would be unlikely to go that route, since we have devices we are carrying for other reasons anyway. It's very simple to FT from iPad to iPad, we've done this a lot, and if the connection is slow you can always turn off the video and just use the audio as a "phone"

Two suggestions:

1 - Make SURE that your phone is in airplane mode and THEN turn on only the WiFi switch. You don't want to be doing cellular data over the ship's connection.

2 - The pool bar is the best place to use WiFi. That's my story and I am sticking to it!:o

Yes, we realize that you have to go to airplane mode or things with push notifications can happen even without your knowledge! DH has some kind of international plan- but even that is expensive compared to using the Internet. And Motu, are you sure the the appeal of Internet at the pool bar isn't just the pool bar;)

Thanks everyone, we can't wait to sail- if only we didn't need to fly first:rolleyes:

For the record, we were occasionally able to access the Internet from our room (615), but sometimes the WiFi connection would get dropped. I tried using it our first morning on board, and ended up calling the desk in a panic because I lost the connection before I could properly log out...I wanted to make sure my minutes weren't ticking away when I no longer had a connection. Apparently it logged me out automatically when the connection got dropped.

After that, I made sure to connect in public areas that had a better WiFi signal. The computers in the Internet room were faster than my iPad for checking email; but if you're using FaceTime or Skype, then you'll need to use your own device. My husband and I were able to share the Internet minutes on two different devices, but I don't think we ever tried logging in at the same time.

Does the PG offer an unlimited Internet package? If so, what is the cost?

I don't believe they do; I didn't see that as an option when I logged in to purchase my Internet plan. These are the only three options I'm aware of:

• Time Plan #1: $62.50 for 250 minutes ($0.25 per minute)
  • Time Plan #2: $35.00 for 100 minutes ($0.35 per minute)
  • Pay As You Go: $0.55 per minute

Be aware that that it's not a super-fast connection; so if you're trying to upload photos or anything like that, you'll run down your minutes pretty quickly. That said, we purchased Plan #1 and didn't even use up all of our minutes - we were too busy enjoying the ship and excursions to spend much time on the Internet!

Family,

I dont think Motu and wife are in the PG library as they dont have one!

I think its a library in one of the Regent ships!

I was being cheeky! I knew he wasn't in the library! And since I'm leaving in a week ( one week!:D) I've already studied my deck plans and know there's not a library! ;) Lets just say learning these plans didn't take as long as learning the Oasis deck plans!

Oh, they do have an unlimited package...you just need to have sailed enough (was 20 nights, now is 4 sailings, I think) to get free internet.

Emdee - that IS my library...seated at the pool bar on the PG. :o

Love it! :D

Motu this smacks of favouritism - I only received 2.5 hours for each of us! I will fight to get the same benefits as you.

Canadians only get 2.5 hours :p

I have been wanting to discuss this topic (frequent passenger perks) offline with you. I will send you an email tomorrow.

The internet connections are SO SLOW. I had one small chore to do that would have taken 3 minutes to do at home but took 10 minutes on the ship. The biggest problem was that the computer kept pausing to warn me that the site to which I was connecting might be a security risk (which it wasn't).

Archived