Can we wear Flip Flops to dinner for Cruise Casual??

momtoty2001

It is not just Carnival that has gone more casual--It is happening all over. Remember all the hoopla over flip flops with the soccer players in the White house? This world is becoming more casual with everything. Can't say I love it, but I am not going to let others afffect my cruising experience. Other lines are known to be more formal and if that is what you cruise for then I guess you need to check into it. I do miss the old ways--I have been cruising since the '80's, but then again I miss the gentleman opening the doors for women(my hubby still does!) but i am not going to stress out about it.I say follow the rules put across now and go with the flow. If you want a tux wear one for tyourself or your wife--if you want ot be more causal then do so in the confines of the house rules!!

And as far as thongs go--I am reminded almost daily( I work around teens everyday) that they are flip flops now not thongs. But then again I am also chastised because I call a soft drink, pop. Guess some things can not be taught to old dogs!

Bingo. I lost all respect for the Carnival dining room when I saw this video.

I wouldnt wear anything like a tank top or a speedo to the MDR, but clearly just about anything else goes. ;)

Wow! I am no prude, but I would not have stuck around in that dining room. Only made it through 19 seconds of the video. I've never seen the waiters dance though, are they just as obnoxious?:confused:

I wouldnt wear anything like a tank top or a speedo to the MDR, but clearly just about anything else goes. ;)

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that since this was Richard Simmons, it was a special group cruise and those around him were part of that group. At least that is what I am hoping......:eek:

That's Richard Simmons. He did the same thing when he came to pitch his new salad dressings to us. He ended up prancing on our conference room table.

I am NEVER going to be able to "unsee" this!! Thanks, I am scarred for life now. lol. ;)

• 1 year later...
I was reading a previous Fun Times from the Destiny and saw that you are not allowed to wear flip flops in the main dining room?

I am wondering how much this is enforced? My husband was planning to wear cargo shorts and golf shirts to Cruise Casual dinner but was going to only bring a pair of flip flops and a pair of dress shoes to wear to elegant night.

I also was planning to wear nicer flip flops with a sundress as was my daughter.

Hoping someone can give some insight on this as we leave in 6 days and want to make sure we don't look silly walking into the dining room with the wrong shoes... LOL! :)

The simple answer is no. That being said many have and nothing has been done about. Of course with the number of people entring the MDR each night hard for the staff to see everyones feet. So feel free to wear them just do us all a favor and if you, your daughter and/or husband does get asked to go put on different footwear, don't come back after and claim that Carnival took away all your fun by not letting you wear flip flops in the MDR.

You can wear just about anything on a Carnival ship. They (carnival) pretty much has given up. They removed all items that cost money, changed menus to match Denny's style eating, and will do just about anything to keep you happy, so you can rebook.

However, flip flops, not matter what you paid for it, is still a flip flop, and as a guy, you just need to put on sneakers, and show some respect. Just because Carnival gave up, you don't.

Both DW and I wear nice slippas in the dining room except on formal night. The ones I wear are leather and the ones DW wears are embellished, so they are definitely not beach or pool wear.

Doc

You can wear just about anything on a Carnival ship. They (carnival) pretty much has given up. They removed all items that cost money, changed menus to match Denny's style eating, and will do just about anything to keep you happy, so you can rebook.

However, flip flops, not matter what you paid for it, is still a flip flop, and as a guy, you just need to put on sneakers, and show some respect. Just because Carnival gave up, you don't.

Sorry... that's not happening. Even on Princess, I'll happily wear flip flops to the dining room and I won't "put on sneakers and show some respect," simply because of some random post on Cruise Critic, especially after your last thread of input ;) In fact, I don't even own sneakers and haven't worn them in over ten years after moving to Florida and I don't plan to start anytime soon.

If a Maitre d' on Princess wants to say something to me, I'll happily point out their gender discrimination and lack of enforcement of the dress code on Formal Night and request they take care of that first. You see, women aren't allowed to wear any pant-suits or anything that has pants on formal night and yet, the Maitre d's are all too scared to confront any one of them and request for them to abide by the dress code.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Edited by Disconnections

That is scary as hell.

Was Richard Simmons a Maitre d or just a normal waiter?

Im guessing he no longer works for CCL?

I have worn some nice shoes that could be considered flip flops because they have no back and a strap or whatever you call it, between the toe. But they do not "flip" or "flop" when I walk and I would never wear them to the pool, beach, amusement park, fair, or zoo. They have a thicker heel (almost wedge) and the middle toe strap has beads on it. These I wear as my dress shoes because: I have major water retention and my feet swell like balloons when traveling, especially a cruise and because I cannot walk in heels. I have another pair of nike sandals/flip flops that I wear around the ship, lido, and in port that are comfy, but not dressy. I would not wear those to dinner. So if yours are dressy, then you are probably okay.

For men, I don't know. I personally don't like men in flip flops. Mainly because a lot of men (at least my hubby) have yucky feet and I don't want to see them. And its harder for them to look dressy. DH will wear a closed toe sandal (sling) type of shoe or deck type of shoes for casual nights. But that part is JMO. Others may feel differently.

I agree with those stating it depends on the type of flip flop you are wearing.

If they are rubber beachy looking ones from old navy or the like I would not wear those to old navy. But I have seen people wear more dressy looking ones that have beads and a thicker sole on them that appear to look nicer and for a dressier occasion that you would clearly not wear to the pool. I think that would be fine. Especially on causal nights.

LOL put on sneakers? With big white tube socks too? The same problem you have with my flip flops, I have with your sneakers. You think I shouldnt wear flip flops and I think you shouldnt wear sneakers with anything but athletic gear.

To answer the question, yes, you can wear flip flops. Every night on a cruise I wear flip flops, with the exception of formal night. I do wear a nice pair of black or brown shoes, depending on the clothes.

John Heald has addresses this many times and does a VERY GOOD job at it.

Originally Posted by Havingfun2010 View Post

I agree right here.

I hate flip flops. HATE THEM.

I don't care they are annoying, and I hate seeing peoples ugly feet, and listening to the clomp, slap, clomp, slap, clomp, slap.

My wife wears them and it embarrasses me sometimes listening to her walk in them. So annoying.

A nice pair of Tennis shoes, or low key dress shoes are the only acceptable thing to wear.

I do not wear flip flops to the MDR. I do not care at all if you do. I don't care if they're Versace or Old Navy. I'm not looking at your feet anyway.

I see so many complaints about Carnival "lowering their standards" and not even trying to enforce the dress code. There are lots of other lines that take the dress code very seriously. Let us have this one. I prefer to have FUN on my FUN SHIP. Let Carnival be Carnival.

Nobody says you CAN'T wear your tuxedos and ball gowns. Just let the rest of us be comfortable as we "ooh and aah" over how fabulous you look.

And for the record, my wife is one of those people who likes to dress up and occasionally point out the people who failed to meet the minimum recommended requirement for elegant night. And I tell her to just relax and enjoy her vacation. (Which usually gets me a dirty look)

If I've offended anyone, I blame it on too much coffee.