NCL secrets they don't tell you about

dfilacch

In the past, I read on a post that it is a good idea to make extra copies of your documents, passport, or other ID, insurance coverage, etc.. Secure these in a baggie and put one in each piece of luggage.

:)

Its a good idea to put some type of ID in your bags, but I would not put a lot of detailed information that might be used if stolen.

Best recommendation is to simply slip a business card in each bag.

This is a great thread. We sail next week on our first cruise. I will look like a pro. My girls were just asking me last night if they get tired of foo foo food could they get a plain cheese sandwich? Is this something we could ask for? Also when I signed up my girls for the kids club I asked about the soda/smoothie card and they told me it was just for kids. Do I need to ask someone else when we get on the ship? Thanks for the great advice!

Re: cheese sandwich

You can ask for anything that you feel like having. They will try their best to accommodate you. DH asked for feta cheese on his salad at Impressions. The waiter said that they did not have feta at Impressions but he would see if he could get it. We told him to please forget it. It was not necessary. Within a few minutes he returned with a plate of feta cheese.

We did learn at the "Digital Photo Tour", which was really quite interesting, that some of the restaurants "share" a kitchen. So don't be afraid to ask for something that is not on the menu of the restaurant you are dining in. It may still be in the kitchen.

Re: soda card

You can purchase at any bar/lounge/even at the pool. Just tell your waiter that you would like a soda card. It's not really a card, they just put a sticker on your keycard and you show the card whenever you order a soda. You only pay the gratuity on the initial $40.00 charge for the card. After that, since you don't sign for the soda, you do not pay additional gratuity.

Have a wonderful cruise. You will love it :)

Balanceok:

Thanks for the info.

Like I said, this is some information which I had previously read on one of these boards.

I didn't follow up to see what sort of response was given to it.

Maybe someone else has some idea about this.

Being a first time cruiser, I am looking for all of the help which I can get here.

Re: cheese sandwich

You can ask for anything that you feel like having. They will try their best to accommodate you. DH asked for feta cheese on his salad at Impressions. The waiter said that they did not have feta at Impressions but he would see if he could get it. We told him to please forget it. It was not necessary. Within a few minutes he returned with a plate of feta cheese.

We did learn at the "Digital Photo Tour", which was really quite interesting, that some of the restaurants "share" a kitchen. So don't be afraid to ask for something that is not on the menu of the restaurant you are dining in. It may still be in the kitchen.

Re: soda card

You can purchase at any bar/lounge/even at the pool. Just tell your waiter that you would like a soda card. It's not really a card, they just put a sticker on your keycard and you show the card whenever you order a soda. You only pay the gratuity on the initial $40.00 charge for the card. After that, since you don't sign for the soda, you do not pay additional gratuity.

Have a wonderful cruise. You will love it :)

How much for the soda card for kids.....??11 years old.

How much for the soda card for kids.....??11 years old.

Here's the info that's posted on NCL's web site:

Unlimited beverage program: $16.00*

*Price based on a 7-day cruise. Available only to kids up to 12 years of age.

In the past, I read on a post that it is a good idea to make extra copies of your documents, passport, or other ID, insurance coverage, etc.. Secure these in a baggie and put one in each piece of luggage.

Also, when ordering soft drinks, ask for Mega Bloody Mary Mug - it won't blow over in the wind, and holds more!

Lastly, it seems from what I have read here and else where, if you want something, ask politely,( with a few bucks) and most likely, your desires will be met.

Being a new cruiser, I will be testing all of the suggestions soon. Hopefully, the good hints will keep rolling in.

I do make copies of everything. I do not put it in luggage that is leaving my sight. My DH carries the originals and I carry the copies in my purse. We then place them in the safe in the room.

I don't know where you are traveling to. If out of the US, carry the copies with you in case you miss the ship at a foreign port. If travel is within US, you don't have to worry.

Don't know about the Mega Bloody Mary Mug?

We have never tipped when requesting anything. I'm not into "greasing" someone's palm. The staff are truly trained professionals. Great people and wonderful to talk to. They have such interesting lives.

We have ALWAYS received excellent service.

We bring thank-you notes with us and give them (+tip) to room stewards, butlers, consierge on the last day.

We do, however, add addl., cash tips to the wait staff in the restaurants after our meal.

Relax and enjoy your trip. You will love it.

Blue Lagoon Pound Cake = YUMMMMMMMM!

Another tip: money is always good for getting special treatment. However' date=' the staff also loves to talk about their families, etc. Don't be shy about making conversation with your room stewards, waiters, etc. We have the whole world sailing with us and it is so interesting to find out about other cultures, etc. Makes the world a very small place ....:)

~Dianne[/quote']

So TRUE! We were tabled with 4 real whiners and wanna-be snotties on our cruise in 2003(Carnival). We asked our waiter one night after the snotties left if he ever got a break. He was from Sumatra and about our age so we were wondering if he had family, etc.... He couldn't sit down but his face lit up as we asked questions about him, his wife, if she got to come visit, who paid, how long was he on the ship, did he get to call home, kids, ..... It was very clear we were not part of the whiners and the snotties. He always treated us like royalty. My sil and I hugged him at the end of the cruise. After the Tsunami I tried to find out a little about him. I stink at geography so I have no idea where his family was. But I really wondered about him. If he was able to contact his wife, how long did it take....I never found out anything. You're so right-the world is a very small place.

I hope our kids will get to have the same experience when we take them on their first cruise in Jan. They'll realize the pictures of people in far away places on the t.v. have real lives like ours. The international crew on the ship has always intrigued me.

My dh is like a big kid - he's a picky eater and on our first NCL cruise he found out he could get steak, chicken breast, baked potatoes and salad every night at dinner. From that moment on he was a happy camper :O)

He also learned he could get a baked potato as an appetizer if he wanted and that even though they had never heard of Western salad dressing, they tried to accomodate with a dressing that they thought he would like. When he gave a thumbs up on it they made sure it was available for him at each dinner.

From my experience they will try their best to accomodate requests.

Di603, keep checking out threads here on CC. There are plenty of helpful ones. Also, you might want to start a new thread and ask some specific questions if there's anything in particular that concerns you.

Have a great cruise!

Don't want to start an argument here but if you miss your ship in a foreign port, "copies" of your passort will not do you any good. Make the copies, carry the original, and you'll have the copies in your stateroom if you ever lose your passport and need to get it replaced (at a U.S. consulate etc.)

are there robes in the rooms?.is there additional charge for room service? any tips on the restaurants.is the additional charge worth it?.blow dryers in rooms or available?is iced tea included or additional? can I bring my own wine?.geez I have so many questions.these are all for the Dawn.thanks so much?.Diane

are there robes in the rooms?.is there additional charge for room service? any tips on the restaurants.is the additional charge worth it?.blow dryers in rooms or available?is iced tea included or additional? can I bring my own wine?.geez I have so many questions.these are all for the Dawn.thanks so much?.Diane

I don't think you will get robes automatically in non-suite cabins, but others have reported that your steward will bring you robes upon request.

No additional charge for room service, but a tip would be nice with the amount depending on the size and complexity of the order (e.g., $1-2 for a continental breakfast, $4-5 for a complete dinner).

I have enjoyed virtually all of my meals in the main dining rooms, but I also enjoy indulging in some of the surcharge restaurants. On the Dawn, I would recommend Teppanyaki (a Benihana-like restaurant), Le Bistro (great filet mignon and a wonderful chocolate fondue), and Cagney's Steakhouse (excellent steaks). Are they worth it? Absolutely (IMO).

There are blow dryers in all cabins.

Iced tea, coffee, tea, milk, and a variety of juices are included.

I believe the ever-changing liquor/wine policy is that you are allowed to bring your own wine, but if you declare your wine or if they find it during embarkation, you will charged a $15 per bottle corkage fee.

It's ok, Di603, don't worry.

Are you on a roll-call for the 6/3? I don't want to repeat what you have already read.

I understand that if there are no robes you can ask you cabin stewards for them.

No additional charge for room service...just a tip. You can order room service any time you like.

Restaurants and tipping..if you think a tip is warranted- you will know if it is...just leave a tip.

We do find that the restaurants with a cover charge are worth it...but...we do not travel with young children anymore. We may have opted for the main restaurants if our kids were with us. Just because of faster service, less "ambiance".

I believe hair dryers in all rooms? anyone can help with this question?

I believe the Garden Cafe has unlimited water, juice, iced tea, coffee, tea, and milk all day/night. I only stop there for a cup of coffee/tea but you can check it out the first day when you board.

I believe you can bring your own wine with a $15.00 corkage fee per bottle.

We haven't done this..you may want to do a bar set-up in your room.

Don't be afraid to ask you questions. Someone will answer them:)

I response to the question about the specialty restaurants, I would have to say that I didn't think that the meals were worth $40 that the two of us had to pay. The food in the main dining room was very comparable and had wonderful choices each evening. We chose to eat at Endless Summer on Thursday night because we felt like the menu in the main dining room was the least interesting of the week. We were on the Star last week. Just arrived home today!

thanks.this site is so helpful..........more questions for the Dawn.Should I bring my own soap........shampoo?.beach towel?hubby is diabetic.........will they let me keep juice and snacks for him in the room?.Diane

There's a mini fridge in the rooms. I'd recommend buying some juice and snacks and carry them with you on the boat, that is fine. Yes, you can keep your own snacks. I learned to kind of keep things out of the way so stewards don't think they are trash (in a drawer, in the fridge itself, etc.). Don't know about your first question, read they have soap but not shampoo. I personally am bringing all of those things - even a beach towel as I will use it on my beach excursions off the shore.

thanks.this site is so helpful..........more questions for the Dawn.Should I bring my own soap........shampoo?.beach towel?hubby is diabetic.........will they let me keep juice and snacks for him in the room?.Diane

Should I bring my own soap........shampoo?.beach towel?

The Dawn has liquid dispensers for both soap and shampoo. If you have a favorite soap or shampoo, you might want to bring them along. Beach towels are provided.

Hubby and I will be sailing on the Dawn 6/5. 1st time cruisers.Any info would be appreciated.Thanks.Diane:eek:

Hi Di603:

On these boards, somewhere, is a long list of things to bring along.

I don't believe I would try to bring everything listed, ( packing space becomes a problem).

But, some of the things are listed below just to give you an idea of previous suggestions.

I do apologize to all of you who have seen this list before - but this one is for Di603! ;)

Small Power Strip, Lighted Face Clock, Room Freshener, Several Clothes Pins, Downy Wrinkle Release, Hangers, Zip Lock Bags, Small Flash Light, Steamer (No Irons, Please), Sanitizer Wipes, Sticky Notes, Zip Lock Bags, Large Insulated Mug, Duct Tape-??, Binoculars, Camera, Film, Extra Batteries, Sun Glasses, Sunscreen, Medications in Original Containers, Bonnie or other Seasick Med, Paks of Crystal Lite or Preferred Drink, Highlighter, Small First Aid Items, Cold Meds.

Plus, A great sense of humor, and a determination that you will have a wonderful cruise - even if everything isn't 100% perfect. What in the world is??

:) SailAways

That is a pretty complete list, but I'll add one thing to it. I bring along an empty one quart plastic bottle. I order extra juice in the morning on the continental breakfast card that you put on the door at nite. If you have a juice preference that is NOT on the card...write it in. (I like pineapple juice and it's not offered but I got it everytime I ordered it.) I then pour the juice into the plastic bottle and store it in the fridge for use during the day when it is NOT available. It's great for a quick pick-me-up during the day or for a mixer should you happen to have a bottle of spirits. We did this last cruise and it worked out great.

Happy cruising!

Hi everyone. This thread is about secrets and tips on NCL. Please keep responses on that subject. The tips are realy valuable to members and every time there is a new post, you think there's a new tip but it's now turned into a thread about the Dawn and what to bring. That's a great topic and worthy of it's own thread so other members can benefit from the information too. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. It just helps to keep information organized and easy to find if the topic doesn't stray too far off topic. Thanks!

I always bring a lanyard (particularly for my daughter) for the sign & sail card. Just ask at the desk to punch a hole in it and you don't have to worry about pockets. Learned this trick from a kid's club on Carnival when my daughter was 8. :)

Archived