NCL secrets they don't tell you about

dfilacch

I foumnd this post with the search feature. Thought it would be a good one to bump up. Sooo much great information on it...
Please do not bump posts. It's agains the board guidelines. Thank you.

Not sure about the other ships, but my nephew ordered Caesar salad with dinner every night on the Dawn. No questions asked when he requested a double, either. Just ask politely and they are so eager to please.

Not sure about the other ships, but my nephew ordered Caesar salad with dinner every night on the Dawn. No questions asked when he requested a double, either. Just ask politely and they are so eager to please.

Yup! Caesar salads are in the "Always Available" portion of the menu. Baked potatoes are there too, and since we know that a baked potato and all the trimmings go with most everything, it's nice to have the option to order them.

Enjoy!

Hikini:D

First time cruiser here going to Alaska 8/27 on the Star with wife and two 15 year old girls. Anyone have any secret thing that the teens might be interested in?

Even if they have no interest in doing so, "make" them join the teen program. They may not do any of the activities but it's a great way to meet other teens.

Cruisenwithkids is right.... "make" them join. I "sent" my teens on the first day. Told them to hang out and play cards if no one else was there, as other teens popped in they were to invite them to play. They made lots of friends like this and really enjoyed all the teen activities. I think the digital scavenger hunt was the activity they enjoyed most.

Also, buy them each a teen passport which is a booklet of 20 frozen drinks for $34.50. The pina colladas were awesome!

Plan any rules before the cruise (curfews, family meals, dress code etc.) this will allow everyone to have fun without any onboard family fights.

m.

A agree completely about forcing your teen to attend the first night orientation. My daughter went to a few teen events but did find a couple of great buddies to hang around with (and with whom she still corresponds).

Also the passport coupons can be used on other cruises. We have leftovers from our cruise last summer that we plan to use in July on the Star.

Another tip (not really only related to NCL) is from the current issue of Budget Travel. These are some great "ah ha" ideas from fellow cruisers:

http://budgettravelonline.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2006/05/01/AR2006050100503.html?referrer=email&referrer=email

I went to wellwishers.com and couldn't find any information about alcohol other than wine. Is there a specific website where they have that?

Thanks!

Kelly

I just called to get pricing and they told me that cannot bring liquor or wine on board any NCL ships.

Is this new?

I just called to get pricing and they told me that cannot bring liquor or wine on board any NCL ships.

Is this new?

People started taking advantage of their service by ordering cases of beer and many bottles so NCL stopped allowing the deliveries. If people had only used the service for what it was intended, there would be no problem. I think the talk of it on this board is what lead to the abuse of service and why it stopped.

Only 2 1/2 weeks left! - any other secrets I should know about????

We are in an owners suite - so please if you have any info or secrets - do share!

Jewelfine,

Which ship will you be on? We've been in the OS on the Dawn, and the Majesty. You don't get the same perks on both of them. Both have 3 bottles of liquor included, concierge, full room service menus, VHS (Majesty) and CD (Dawn) movies available for in your room.

Butler, 2 bathrooms, cell phone, priority seating at shows only on the Dawn.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll be happy to answer.

Jackie

Jewelfine,

Which ship will you be on? We've been in the OS on the Dawn, and the Majesty. You don't get the same perks on both of them. Both have 3 bottles of liquor included, concierge, full room service menus, VHS (Majesty) and CD (Dawn) movies available for in your room.

Butler, 2 bathrooms, cell phone, priority seating at shows only on the Dawn.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll be happy to answer.

Jackie

Thanx Jackie!

We are on the Dawn - Suite 9006!

2 bathrooms? I thought there was one - cool!

Thanx for the info!

Thanx Jackie!

We are on the Dawn - Suite 9006!

2 bathrooms? I thought there was one - cool!

Thanx for the info!

You're very welcome. You will also have two balconies, 3 flat screen TV's, 4 phones (one you can carry around the ship to call your room or the concierge or anyone you want)

We were in 9506 twice and just loved it. You will be totally pampered and spoiled. Breakfast, lunch, snacks and/or dinner on the balcony or in the dining area. Cocktail parties, L'Occitane products in the bathroom, pants presser in the dressing/vanity area, all the soda and water you want, mixers to go with your liquor (you have to ask for them). We got Bloody Mary mix, tonic water, lemons, limes, etc. I brought my Magic Bullet last week, but only used it twice. You will have fresh fruit and flowers, an umbrella, soft, wonderful robes, slippers, and a shower that is 'to die for'. You also have priority seating in the balcony, front row for shows, your concierge will make all of your reservations for the restaurants and give you priority tender tickets, invite to the VIP Captain's cocktail reception, etc.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, so ask if you have any questions.

You're going to love it.:D

Jackie:cool:

Another hint for people who book their cruise months or a year in advance only to find the price on the suite you booked has gone down a lot since you made your final payment.

while it isn't possible or even logical to get a refund on your purchase 45 days or less prior to sailing, NCL will give shipboard credits to you if you ask politely but persistently. Another hint is to be sure & be specific. They won't volunteer the information. A question such as "is there anything you can do to help me? or What kind of compensation is there? did not elicit any positive response from them. When I asked specifically, "Is a shipboard credit possible?" The answer was " Yes, I can give you $100 shipboard credit "

I'm asn early booker for a cruise in January with my parents. Who specifically should I call about onboard credits as cabin prices fall, and when and how often should I call? Did you call every time you found a lower fare or did you wait until you believed the fare was as low as it would go?

I'm asn early booker for a cruise in January with my parents. Who specifically should I call about onboard credits as cabin prices fall, and when and how often should I call? Did you call every time you found a lower fare or did you wait until you believed the fare was as low as it would go?

Call whoever you booked the cruise with. I call as soon as I see a reduction. My next trip I got an upgrade and 2 reductions and now the price has gone up. No, I'm not going to call and ask to pay the increase! ;)

We were on the Sun to Alaska May 20. It was absolutely wonderful. Many of my tips and secrets have already been posted here. However, why does everyone say they search for alcohol? If my luggage was searched I do not know it. They certainly never looked at our carry ons. After paying $5.50 for each tiny glass of good white wine, we finally bought some wine and beer on shore (at exorbitant prices for the shore) and carried it back on board. I am sure it was seen in the x-ray machine, but noone ever mentioned it. My parents also brought on some pepsi. I am sure they do not want people getting drunk and falling overboard, but responsible people won't do that. We were discreet and kept it in the fridge.

Also, I stressed over "customs" - especially in Prince Rupert. I assumed it would take a long time and cut into the shore time. But it was nothing. They barely looked at us, just checked our cruise cards.

My biggest hint is to be sure you flag your luggage with a wild colored ribbon for disembarcation. Once you are in that warehouse searching for your luggage you will see how many people have the same set you do :-) We were lucky enough to get a skilled porter who seemed to have an uncanny ability to find our luggage. He was well tipped!!

does anyone know what discounts you get with your card on the Majesty ?

Members only cocktail party where they gave away prizes, and......

Mandara Spa: 10% discount, not valid with any other promotion.

Digital Seas Internet Cafe: 15 minutes free with 100 minutes purchased or 30 minutes free with 250 minutes purchased.

Bingo: Present your Latitudes letter at any of the regular bingo sessions and receive 3 free jackpot cards with any purchase of any bingo package. This does not apply on progressive or final jackpot bingo.

First, I must confess that I ripped off this thread title from another forum ( substituted NCL for another line). So, tell us all you insider NCL cruise secrets. Information that is not normally given out by NCL.

I'll start: You can get anything you want for breakfast from room service. If it's not on the breakfast door card, then just write in what you want.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but that's not true. Or was not in my case. I sailed on the Star, 6/4-6/11. We tried ordering room service and wrote in a simple request, bagel with lox and cream cheese. They called in the morning and advised they could not provide it. We went to the market cafe and there was plenty of lox to go around.

Archived