NCL secrets they don't tell you about

dfilacch

Hi Di603:

On these boards, somewhere, is a long list of things to bring along.

I don't believe I would try to bring everything listed, ( packing space becomes a problem).

But, some of the things are listed below just to give you an idea of previous suggestions.

I do apologize to all of you who have seen this list before - but this one is for Di603! ;)

Small Power Strip, Lighted Face Clock, Room Freshener, Several Clothes Pins, Downy Wrinkle Release, Hangers, Zip Lock Bags, Small Flash Light, Steamer (No Irons, Please), Sanitizer Wipes, Sticky Notes, Zip Lock Bags, Large Insulated Mug, Duct Tape-??, Binoculars, Camera, Film, Extra Batteries, Sun Glasses, Sunscreen, Medications in Original Containers, Bonnie or other Seasick Med, Paks of Crystal Lite or Preferred Drink, Highlighter, Small First Aid Items, Cold Meds.

Plus, A great sense of humor, and a determination that you will have a wonderful cruise - even if everything isn't 100% perfect. What in the world is??

:) SailAways

The Dawn has guest laundry rooms which have irons and ironing boards. Free washers & dryers, you need to buy detergent $1 or bring your own.

Only two ships have self serve laundries in NCL's fleet, the Dawn and the Jewel..... Therefore, the Pride of America does NOT have a self serve laundry.

However, NCL does offer laundry and cleaning services. Towards the end of the cruise NCL will have a special, one laundry bag for $20. Its amazing how much you can squeeze into that bag....

They do a great job and even press everything including underware and sox and hang polo shirts on hangers. Make sure you get everyting back. I got someone else polo shirt and since they put #s on all shirts to correspond with yur order, they delivered the shirt to the rightful owner and found my missing shirt. It was wonderful. Fit everything in the one bag. Stick your socks in the bottom in the corners.

On our Dawn cruise in February, we found out it was a crewmember's birthday who had gone out of his way to make us feel special. So while we were eating dinner in Impressions, we asked our waitress if we could order a cake for him. She said, "No problem!" and our cake was delivered at the end of our meal. He was very surprised! ;)

Dawn that has to be the nicest thing I have heard so far. They work so hard and that was very thoughtful of you!! :) By the way I am from the Bronx, which is very close to you. :D

Stardust Theathre - it's a bit tight, but there is 1 row in the middle with extra space. Aisle seats are good too.

Seems like hte popcorn in Red Lion Pub is only available late afternoon.

Chocoholic buffet - 40 minutes ahead should be enough to get near the front

Cookies/cake in blue lagoon is usually there and usually quick if your on decks 8/6.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a secret about the NCL website. You know how frustrating it is to try to look at a deck plan and only be able to view a small window that covers maybe 1/4 the length of the ship? Well, if you use Mozilla (Firefox) instead of Internet Explorer, you can drag the window to the entire height of your screen and (depending on your screen size) view 1/2 the ship or more.

You can also open two separate windows and compare side-by-side. I did this because I wanted to see what was directly above my cabin and it was much easier this way.:cool:

Here is a secret about the NCL website. You know how frustrating it is to try to look at a deck plan and only be able to view a small window that covers maybe 1/4 the length of the ship? Well, if you use Mozilla (Firefox) instead of Internet Explorer, you can drag the window to the entire height of your screen and (depending on your screen size) view 1/2 the ship or more.

You can also open two separate windows and compare side-by-side. I did this because I wanted to see what was directly above my cabin and it was much easier this way.:cool:

With Internet Explorer, you can press ctrl-n to get a new full window with the same page that can be adjusted to the size of your liking.

Thanx Jackie!

We are on the Dawn - Suite 9006!

2 bathrooms? I thought there was one - cool!

Thanx for the info!

Jewelfine,

Hope you're having a great time on the Dawn and enjoying 9006. You'll have to tell us all about it when you return.

Jackie

I finally took the time to read through this thread (well most of it anyways). Some great tips! Thank you!

I saw reference to these quite a few times, so I just wanted to comment:

Dawn/Pearly Kings Popcorn - They HAVE the popcorn machine. On our earlier cruises, the popcorn machine was right out in the open where everyone could help themselves. Then on another cruise, it was missing. We playfully harrassed the Food & Beverage Manager about it (even though the bartenders at Pearly's denied it was around). Much to our delight, the popcorn machine was back where it belonged the following day. The same thing happened on our last cruise in June '06 - no popcorn machine. Again the bartenders denied it was there; said it was broken. We didn't bother to push the matter this time, but one day coming in from our port excursion we could smell the distinct aroma of popcorn. Off to Pearly's we marched. They had it in the back and were making popcorn for the teen center. Nevertheless, we went back to our rooms with a couple bags of popcorn! It's terribly silly that they play this little game!

Bring liquor onboard (embarkation or from the ports) - Beware! They may not catch everyone, but they DO confiscate liquor and/or the luggage it's found in. We managed to get some to our stateroom once, that we bought at port. (We had it in our backpacks and they went through x-ray without an issue.) But we've also seen & heard of it being taken.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm asn early booker for a cruise in January with my parents. Who specifically should I call about onboard credits as cabin prices fall, and when and how often should I call? Did you call every time you found a lower fare or did you wait until you believed the fare was as low as it would go?

The cheapest trip that I have heard of is 5 days before sailing with vacations to go. You may have to settle for a cabin that you don't want. Inside cabin oposite our outsid cabin on the Spirit 6/06 went for $400.

Wonderful tips!!:)

... will be on the NCL wind on Aug.20. I understand that this is an older ship, but will the owner suite and penthouse has the same extras as the one on Majesty and the Dawn? Fruit baskets, wine, robes,and slippers will be very nice. I will ask for the feather pillows and mattress pads for sure.

Wonderful tips!!:)

... will be on the NCL wind on Aug.20. I understand that this is an older ship, but will the owner suite and penthouse has the same extras as the one on Majesty and the Dawn? Fruit baskets, wine, robes,and slippers will be very nice. I will ask for the feather pillows and mattress pads for sure.

We haven't sailed on the Wind, but the owner's suites on the Dawn and Majesty are very different. They were both fantastic, but the Dawn OS offered much more in the way of perks.

It looks as if the OS's on the Wind are in the perfect location. I am sure you will love it and would love to hear about it when you return.

Jackie

BTW, you won't have to ask for the feather pillows or the duvet. They will be in the OS, and will be very comfy. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are pics of the Dawn 9506 & Majesty 901 OS's in my webshots albums if you'd like to look.

Jackie

Check the price for the "photo package" on your ship - you have to purchase this the first day of sailing but includes EVERY photo taken by the photo staff, of everyone in your cabin. I think it is $140-190 ?

Especially if you are a first time cruiser and intended to pose for formal pictures, buy the boarding pics and photos taken disembarking at the ports etc., this will be a substatial savings considering the photos are $10-$20 EACH! So the photo package averages about $20 per DAY. ;)

We did this for our family of 3 on our 12 day repositioning cruise. Then every day after dinner we posed for 2 or more casual or dressy portraits, including ones w/ our CC group and w/ Captain. We perused the entire photo area for candid pics of ship activities we might have been in (like our hula lessons) and brought them to the photo desk where they kept a big envelope for us (keeping them safe until we disembarked). We even asked if we could take a few general pics we were not in - a rainbow over sea & the Hawaiian ambassador at work.

Don't be shy about ASKING the photographers to take your picture when you see them floating around the ship - sunset background at the rail, casual pics of the whole fam around pool or with ship artwork/staff when waiting for dinner, etc.

And budget for a tip - drop it off in a thank you note @ the photo desk when you pick up your envelope night before disembarking.

If you intend to do this - pack a large padded envelope to bring them home.

SAY CHEESE! :D

I was on the POA for my honeymoon and the photo package worked out GREAT! They made it seem like it was only offered the first day so I asked the people in the photo gallery. Found out I could get it any time during the cruise. SO AGAIN, DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS. The staff is a great source for info. We waited till the last day to buy the package to see how many photos we liked. The package for the two of us was on like $125 and we got every photo. We made sure to go out of our way to take photos at every opportunity. (Great memories of our honeymoon)

Does anyone know if they offer the package on the SPIRIT? I have the dailies for two weeks ago and I didnt see it?

Sorry if this is already posted. Im trying to catch up reading the forum but here are a few tips:

-Ask for alcohol drinks w/o the specialty glass (its cheaper).

-If you looking to do a certain activity or wondering if they are doing it again during the week ASK THE ENTERTAINMENT STAFF. My husband I knew exactly when the drinking clinics were and they also gave us tips about the brest activities.

-If you like to drink look for the clinics. (Pub Crawl, martini clinic, wine tasting ect) They are usually about $15 for a couple drinks. Well worth it.

Hi there! I have read about your one day cruise...jealous! Looks like a really great time. Hope you are working hard to do it again! I have a question...I noticed that Royal Caribbean offers registration for Cruise Critics and sets things set up on board automatically for the get-togethers. How would we get NCL do this? If a phone call would do it, who would we call?

Apologies again if someone answered this. You can arrange for a meet and greet on NCL. I just arranged one for my spirit cruise. You have to send an email to the ship coordinator. I sent it to shipcoordinatorspirit@ncl.com

I would "assume" if you were on another ship to just change the "spirit" to the name of the ship you are on. They will need the following information

-Name of Group

-Group Coordinator (your name)

-Approx. # of People

She was unable to tell me what if it includes refreshments. But, from what other posters have written they usually give you coffee, tea, and cookies. Also they try to arrange some of the ship officers to be there.

Hope this helps.

Recipes: My husband & I sailed on the Dawn in July '05, and loved so many of the dishes, that we asked for recipes. They were more than happy to give us them. They send them directly to your cabin. We came home with about 7 different recipes. Also,

Thanks really a great tip!! I dont know why I never thought of that. On the Dawn one of the bartenders, Gusti, in the star bar made this awesome drink called a bikini martini. He gave us the reciepe. Should have thought to do the same with meals. THANKS!

When is the meet and greet? What do you do there? Sorry but I am new to this.

Thanks

NCL does not have a formal meet and greet for cruise critic members. It has to be set up by someone going on the cruise. Check the roll call and see if anyone has done it for your sailing. If not you can set it up by emailing the ship coordinator at shipcoordinatorspirit@ncl.com (just substitute your ships name where spirit is. Tell them your name, approx how many people are attending and the groups name. They will email you back the info. Then you can post it on the board and meet some members.

Sorry I forgot to mention. Its just a chance for you to meet some members. Maybe have find people to hang out with during the cruise. Depending on the ship coordinator they may serve cookies and coffee. Also they try to have some of the ship officers there so you can meet them as well.

This will be our first cruise, we're leaving from Houston then on to Cozumel, Progresso, Playa Del Carmen and Belize City.

Does anyone have any tips/info for this specific ship?

Also, where do you get the roll call, and how?

Thanks in advance for any info.:)

This will be our first cruise, we're leaving from Houston then on to Cozumel, Progresso, Playa Del Carmen and Belize City.

Does anyone have any tips/info for this specific ship?

Also, where do you get the roll call, and how?

Thanks in advance for any info.:)

This link will take you to the Dream roll calls....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=350

The roll calls are on the first page. Scroll down click on Norwegain Cruise Line to find yours if the link doesn't work.

Have a great time.

Jackie

Archived