trip insurance

land lover

situation...I am Joe Cruise I have booked by cruise thru princess and have found out I can do my air and pre or post stay less expensive...... so I book them on my own. But the great rates I got are non refundable....does trip insurance cover these non refundable purchases...I think not....So I guess it would make sense not to insure any of my trip because I only have $2500 that I could get a refund on and I might as well take the risk since I have done it on my other purchases.... What would you do?:confused:

$2500 is nothing to sneeze at. some insurance will cover when vacation begins including driving to the airport. see how much is it and then decide. my inlaws are looking at $250 to insure a trip worth $1400 just the cruise. I think thats nuts but if they need to be airlifted to a hospital it would pay. It just depends, I have gotten cruise insurance about half the time, the one time my luggage was lost it would not pay off because the airlines covered it.

Just keep in mind that the insurance will cover more than what you paid for your trip. If you can afford $20,000-$50,000 and up for a medivac helicopter then by all means don't buy the insurance. Injury can occur or illness at any time and for some, this could wipe them out financially if it should happen.

So, think above and beyond just the cost of the trip.

I bought travel insurance through an insurance company other than Princess. Mine covers the cost of flights, pre-paid hotels and pre-paid excursions as well as the cruise. Inasmuch as the airfare was over $2K, I didn't think it made sense to just insure the cruise portion. The additional insurance premium was peanuts (I think it cost @$125. for us both). That said, I don't think I would insure a portion of the trip--at any cost. Either go for it all, or don't buy insurance. If you can asborb the total cost of the trip, don't buy the insurance. If you can't....buy it so it covers your total outlay of expenses. BTW, the non-buy option does not consider the liability you might incur as a result of an accident or medical emergency on your trip. If it is any concern of yours, then the insurance might be a good bet, even if you can easily asborb the lost.

situation...I am Joe Cruise I have booked by cruise thru princess and have found out I can do my air and pre or post stay less expensive...... so I book them on my own. But the great rates I got are non refundable....does trip insurance cover these non refundable purchases...I think not....So I guess it would make sense not to insure any of my trip because I only have $2500 that I could get a refund on and I might as well take the risk since I have done it on my other purchases.... What would you do?:confused:

insurance I buy covers all you mention. I don't know why yours doesn't. :confused:

You can also purchase your cruise cheaper by booking with a travel agent most of the time. :)

Bill

Archived