family death, refund ?

gene g

If you use it one time in 15 cruises you will get your money back..we have had to use ours twice and made money on the first one when my wife had a appendicitis attack at 50..We rebooked our flights for $50 after the insurance company repaid us in full....Dennis

True, and that's nice to have if you need it, but it's not the main reason to get travel insurance. Unless you are one of the few whose health insurance is going to cover them abroad, including medical evacuation if needed, that is the big reason to get it. Getting your money back on the cruise itself is certainly welcome, but that's penny ante stuff compared to medical evacuations and overseas medical care.

True, and that's nice to have if you need it, but it's not the main reason to get travel insurance. Unless you are one of the few whose health insurance is going to cover them abroad, including medical evacuation if needed, that is the big reason to get it. Getting your money back on the cruise itself is certainly welcome, but that's penny ante stuff compared to medical evacuations and overseas medical care.

Very true..very often missed because of rarity of when it does not hit...my mom's issues started 12 hours after getting back from Alaska cruise this summer...I made them get ins..was a little car drive argument..what transpired sure could have started on cruise..needing expensive evac.

Where I live med evac needed for some issues..from home ...sadly learned that this summer..2 air trips 2 different hospitals for one soul...one within state was around 40,000 and state to state around 45,000....and then flying deceased home..and all the rules came through one mortuary..good to know they can often orchestrate a state to state..but that was about 2500 out of the final arrangements..Sarah

I'm wondering if the travelling companion of the person who passed away (assuming there was a travelling companion) and that person still intends on going, wouldn't he/she have to pay 200% now (assuming they can't find someone to go with and Carnival allows a name change)? So the only money due back would be the deceased person's taxes?

I also remember reading about a horrible family fire and loss...horrible..a double whammy..and the remaining family were helped and cruised with Carnival.

My mom had just bought and taken delivery on eyeglasses before her recent passing...at 700 bucks...which gave us all a pause..just the price..but they refunded about half the amount...people usually work with a death right before or after something, that is a sure way to gain loyalty..though with how things have gone downhill lately..don't know..

It is always darkest before the next dawn..I hold faith for this family and all...Sarah

I'm wondering if the travelling companion of the person who passed away (assuming there was a travelling companion) and that person still intends on going, wouldn't he/she have to pay 200% now (assuming they can't find someone to go with and Carnival allows a name change)? So the only money due back would be the deceased person's taxes?

The op said "Family is still sailing in April"

My friend passed away six days before we sailed. Carnival refunded both he and his Widows fares. She needed to fax a copy of the death certificate.

Soo good to hear..condolences..I know now with my mom going Aug 2nd..it will never be over..just better..a friend close enough to cruise with is like family...sarah

We had 2 friends that were going on our upcoming Dream cruise in 3 weeks. They booked Early Saver with us, & it was to be their 1st plane ride, 1st cruise, & we were all so excited! 2 weeks ago, he passed away . We were all in penalty phase to the point that if we cancelled, we'd lose 50%. Needless to say our friend.called & cancelled their trip. Carnival did offer to let her bring someone else without charging for a name change. She declined & cancelled. She's getting back 50% of what they paid, plus taxes, the prepaid gratuities. She had to send a copy of the obituary. They did send her a condolence letter as well. The airlines, upon receipt of a copy of the death certificate, are going to give her a full refund. We're still going, but it won't be the same. :( Hope this helps someone.

We had 2 friends that were going on our upcoming Dream cruise in 3 weeks. They booked Early Saver with us, & it was to be their 1st plane ride, 1st cruise, & we were all so excited! 2 weeks ago, he passed away . We were all in penalty phase to the point that if we cancelled, we'd lose 50%. Needless to say our friend.called & cancelled their trip. Carnival did offer to let her bring someone else without charging for a name change. She declined & cancelled. She's getting back 50% of what they paid, plus taxes, the prepaid gratuities. She had to send a copy of the obituary. They did send her a condolence letter as well. The airlines, upon receipt of a copy of the death certificate, are going to give her a full refund. We're still going, but it won't be the same. :( Hope this helps someone.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. :(

It does and thank you, so very sorry for your loss...sarah

If your cruise is payed in full and you have a death in the family do they give you a cash refund for that person? Family is still sailing in april.

Sure, as long as you purchased insurance.

Or, if not contracted under early saver, you can do a name switch for a fee and bring someone else.

My brother and his wife had a cruise booked and paid in full when he passed away. Carnival refunded both of their cruise fares. Carnival is not heartless.

This is so nice to hear (about the refund), but I'm sorry for your loss as well as the OP. I hope the family still has a good time on their cruise.

The op said "Family is still sailing in April"

I know but that doesn't say how many cabins are involved or whether the deceased person was travelling solo or with someone. So if there is a travelling companion involved and Carnival refunds the deceased person's fare then the travelling companion will have to pay the single supplement, unless he/she can find someone to go with (and making that change will be allowed by Carnival).

Sorry, but that 'it's a business and the money is their's' attitude is a little disgusting. They can resell the room. Hopefully he had insurance. To the OP, I'm really sorry for your loss.

They can resell it if he was traveling in a cabin by himself-but if they were traveling with someone other person and they refunded for the deceasedperson and now, there was only one person in the cabin. wouldn't they have to pay a single supplement?

I just read the comment above and you can see, we had the same thoughts.

And we don't know when the brother passed away. They could have been outside the penalty phase, so the policy would dictate they'd get all money back regardless of the reason for cancelling.
Nope. It was only a few weeks before the cruise. So inside the 100% penalty phase. My SIL had to send in a copy of the death certificate. Carnival refunded...not paid by insurance. The others in the group still went on their cruise.

Archived