Bringing Food on a Ship

ckfred

I would gladly swap Symphony bars for Flake any day!!! I used to be able to get my Flake fix at our World Market but last summer there was a sign that for some reason (I don't remember now) they were not importing them anymore :( Even had a friend go to Ireland this summer and got some for me but she hid them so her boys wouldn't eat them and has yet to find them :(

I don't know what Flake is, but I miss Irn Bru soda from my 2 visits to the UK! If someone could get me some of that I'd gladly trade Symphony bars for it!

LOVE Curly Wurlys!! (And Double Deckers). For the uninitiated -- and I am dating myself here a bit -- Curly Wurlys are similar to our old Marathon Bars.

Marathon Bars are now Snickers if I'm not mistaken!!!

Curly Wurlys are ....."curly", "whirly" shaped chocolate covered toffee bars.

:D Methinks DH and I will be taking some Galaxy chocolate on IOS soon.

For some reason, we went nuts for our last cruise and carried candy and chips all the way to Europe from the US.

We had only stopped to buy a few candy bars and...

well, you know how it is. :o

This large bag of candy, chips, cookies and a couple of apples went on the plane and onto the ship with no problems at all.

We did not take any fruit off the ship through customs. Heck, there was hardly anything left.

We blame the kids :D

EDIT - I should clarify - we sailed on the Carnival Breeze out of Venice, Italy. My comment probably only holds relevance in regard to international travel and airlines. Don't actually know how RC will treat food. OOPS

omfg curly wurly is one of my absolute faves. mint aero is my favorite. my local stop and shop carries them (and charges almost $3 a bar, so it's a special treat). i know in florida they sell TONS of uk candy. even publix shops carry aero, curly wurly, wine gums, lion bars, flake, and more. flake dipped in cappuccino is delicious.

We have the same issue, I love Hershey symphony bars but you cannot get them over here (UK) unless you want to pay a fortune for them so I usually try and stock up on them, sailing into Houston in november and really hoping I can get them on the way to the airport -or at the airport. I've got all the flakes and aeros here, maybe we should do swapsies.

You will pass a lot of stores between port and either of the airports, hopefully you will have time to stop and stock up on Hershey Symphony bars. :)

My DH always takes 2 1-lb. boxes of hand selected chocolates every vacation we go on. We always go for at least two was, so he has a lb. each week.

He thinks See's is the best chocolate--bar none.

He sends his family (Canadian) chocolate every year.

He always shares his chocolate with our room steward.

:-)

What's a coffee crisp?

http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands/coffee_crisp/index

As for flakes, I've never seen them here in Toronto, but they might have them on the east coast.

Funny what you take for granted, there are so many things I like to get in the US becuase we don't ahve them here. Grass is always greener, eh?

BTW: Our chocolate is different from the UK, so you might find if you've had the UK versions, ours might taste a bit different.

As for me when I go to the British shop, I like Jelly Babies and Jaffa Cakes

Coffee crisps are very similar to Toffee crisps, they used to sell them in the UK but no longer.

Each time we visit the US I take a supply of Cadburys chocolate for my son and his family - far superior to the Cadburys available in the US.

When I lived in England... I just LOVED that I could get Cadbury creme eggs year-round, unlike in the US, where you can only get them around Easter time.

Cadbury Dairy Milk is another good chocolate bar that I haven't seen in the US, but it's delicious!

There is more of an issue with taking food off the ship. Candy in a wrapper shouldn't be an problem at all.

It can be.

Some have posted they had a Hershey Bar with almonds confiscated when trying to bring it on shore in Australia. Australia has some real tough restrictions about nuts.

How would they find "candy bars" anyway?

They don't search everyones body or luggage...

True that they don't search everything, and as far as I know they aren't even concerned about candy bars, but I feel confident that they could train one of the USDA [Agriculture] dogs [usually beagles] to sniff out chocolate even if in a wrapper. I have had a USDA dog sit by my suitcase, because days before there had been a roast beef sandwich in there [long since consumed].

Agricultural restrictions are not arbitrary, but rather are in place to prevent the introduction of diseases, pests and invasive species [i'm guessing that almonds must be considered an invasive species in Australia]. There are even agricultural inspections within the US, as anyone who has driven into Florida or California may have noticed.

Thom

What is RC's policy for bringing food on a ship? We're taking the Jewel out of Boston on October 7th and call at Halifax and St. John. Having been to Canada a number of times, my wife likes to buy candy bars that she initially tried in England, but can never find in the U.S, including Flakes, Coffee Crips, and Aero bars.

I know that Customs is more concerned with meats of any kind and fresh produce. We haven't had problems bringing packaged chocolate bars from Canada to the U.S., but that's been either via air or car.

She should also try Caramac bars Buttersnap bars ,finger of fudge and Topic bars:D:D:D

You just cant beat English candy bars:)

I travel a lot and packaged confectionery products are usually exempt from world customs and border security because of the high percentage of sugar, except Honey products,which brings me to Crunchie bars and rollos and Toffo,s and sherbet lemons and Ruhbarb & Custards and and and lol:)

Den

My carry on luggage is full of british candy/sweets for our meet and mingle - may even give the Capt a bar. Taking a large tin of 'Heros'

I have got permission to take on some IRN BRU from RCCI - hubby likes it with vodka ( can place behind the bar we don't mind) and I like to drink it flat as it settles my stomach/sea sickness/motion

while in SF a few years ago I came across a shop selling Irn Bru:D

Archived