Something Different to do

crisp1

Our first time in Belize we went to Bannister Island. This time I'd like to see some of the country. All the 'regular' excursions don't appeal to us- the closest thing to what we're looking for is Altun Ha and city tour. I could skip the ruins. have been to Tulum and Chacchoben. Does anyone do a city and country tour.

Thanks

PS. not into zipping, tubing, snorkeling, beaching, the zoo, chocolate etc ;)

I've looked at Coral Breeze, only thing different than others is the 'Taste of Belize' food excursion

I think you are probably not going to find what you are looking for. We have been to Belize many times and what you are looking for simply doesn't exist within driving distance of tourism village. That is the big issue with Belize. We did extensive research after our last cruise because we had already done the main things (cave tubing, Caye Caulker, ruins, city tour on the way to cave tubing, the zoo). The few interesting things I wanted to do would require a small plane ride and a few days to do.

I am glad you posted about Coral Breeze's Taste of Belize! This is something I would consider for our next trip (We cruise out of New Orleans and a stop in Belize is hard to avoid.) Sounds like this may be your best option. I didn't know they offered this tour. If you do go, please post when you return.

World,

Since this is our first time 'on solid ground' in Belize, we'll probably book the Altun Ha and city tour that includes lunch. Decent price and will give us a 'taste' of the real Belize. The 'Taste' excursion with Coral Breeze also sounds good- maybe on our next visit.

Thanks for your input- it was a big help.

On one of our cruises that ported in Belize, we chartered a boat to take our family of 5 to Gale's Point, to the Maroon Creole Drum School. It was definitely not a typical tourist excursion. I understand that they have move the drum school to Punta Gorda now. Emmeth Young makes Djembes from locally harvested wood & teaches drumming. His wife Jill Burgess is an artist. They were wonderful to meet & it was a memorable excursion for our boys. They did some drumming & we were able to purchase handcrafted drums & prints of Jills artwork, best souvineirs ever.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX4Npr0UVAc

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the Belize City and Zoo tour offered through Carnival. This allowed us to see some of the country and our guides offered a ton of interesting information about the country.

The zoo itself is really well done in the jungle and only has animals native to Belize.

We really enjoyed the day!

Archived