A Majestic Adriatic Cruise

Just back from Adriatic Explorer on Majesty. Just some basic thoughts to get info to you .

What a wonderful time we had. A lovely ship and what wonderful ports of call, every one a gem. Usual Thomson flight out and back and quick transfer to the ship. The check-in however seemed to take ages. But we got aboard in before 1p.m. Delyth was convinced she would suffocate and die when we got to the cabin as we'd never had an inside before. But what a lovely surprise it was. Plenty of room and lovely cool air coming from the A/C unit. We had an inside plus on deck 4 midships. Luggage arrived before us . Our cabin stewards Mashuri and Julia were excellent, cabin always spotless and tidy. In the cabin the bathroom is the main place you can tell her age, The small square floor tiles that have been replaced. The bathroom is not big but large enough to shower and dry in.

Public areas were nice, lovely bars and lounges. Everywhere spotless including the toilets in the public areas. It was a bit of a shock going to the one in Airport on our return.

Food was good to excellent, they did have problems at times in the Cafe Royale buffet with temperatures. Cool baked beans not nice 1st thing in the morning. Also there was not enough room inside to sit when busy. On Venice day everyone and his dog was up early and we found people were going downstairs to the Royal Observatory lounge to eat, including the staff. There are stairs down to it inside the buffet. Other times we ate in the 2 waiter service restaurants and service was prompt and food hot. We went to the A La carte Bistro on the Tuesday and it was excellent. So good infact we booked it again for the last night. Had a lovely time both times. We were in there 2.5 hours the 1st time. And that was not because service was slow but because we were having such a good time.

Entertainment was good, but the theatre lets the showteam and audience down. The ceiling is low both over the stage and the audience and makes it feel closed in. The circular stage does not seem to be such a problem but I think it's the backstage facilities as they did not seem to nip on and off and do as many fast costume changes as usual. Also the floor in the place is almost level so if you have someone large in front of you, you have difficulty seeing. Steve, the pianist who played in the Polo Club and Rendezvous Lounge was excellent and we spent many evenings listening to him and missed several shows.

Problems :- Apart from occasional food temperature problems and the theatre space , already mentioned, we had none. But we spoke to several who had cabins at the rear on deck 4 and were getting a lot of vibration. We could feel it on sea day when they did the port talk in the theatre and that was on deck 6. We could not feel anything particular in the rest of the ship. there apparently was a queue at reception complaining about cabin sizes from some of those in standard cabins.

As has already been reported the pool area was busy and overcrowded, especially on sea day. But it did not bother us as we don't do pool. It was also busy on the top Sky deck with the sun worshippers.

Also if you are in both the Polo Club and Redezvous bar and are sat too close to the Royal Fireworks or Jubilee Lounge and there is something going on in them you do get interference with the sound carrying through.

Berwyn

Welcome back Berwyn. What a quick review thank you! I would endorse everything you have said. The one thing I would add that I don't think I have already mentioned is regarding the vibration factor. One night as we sat at the side of the stage in the Jubilee Lounge, we noticed the stage floor was also vibrating but it didn't seem to every night.

Last week, DH who was quite 'cool' about the conditions and the food on board, was looking on the Thomson site with a view to doing the Adriatic part of the cruise as we just did the Aegean. So fingers crossed. :)

So pleased you had such a good time - and enjoyed the Bistro! ;) I knew you would.

Thanks for your review - your opinions chime well with our impressions; there is much to like about Majesty but a few issues like the showlounge and v small cabins (if you don't book a 'Plus') are issues which sadly can't be changed.

But for that itinerary...................... you can forgive an awful lot!!!!

Thanks, I missed the vibration as it didn't bother us. Forgot it. People who had booked last minute that we spoke to were in rear cabins on deck 4 said it was really bad. Also we felt it in the Seven Seas restaurant and in The Jubilee Lounge when the ship was moving. Dinner and show on sea day. As we were late in most ports until 9 or 10pm it didn't really bother us during the shows or dinner. The further forward you were you didn't really feel it

Berwyn

So pleased you had such a good time - and enjoyed the Bistro! ;) I knew you would.

Thanks for your review - your opinions chime well with our impressions; there is much to like about Majesty but a few issues like the showlounge and v small cabins (if you don't book a 'Plus') are issues which sadly can't be changed.

But for that itinerary...................... you can forgive an awful lot!!!!

Hi Kruzseeka, glad you had a lovely time too. What an amazing itinerary, such beautiful ports of call. We'd been to Venice and Dubrovnik before, but what gems Split and Kotor were. We preferred Kotor to Dubrovnik.

Bistro was great, 1st time we've done the a la carte. And 2nd too :D

The steak was not the best I've had, but 5 courses and coffee for less than you'd pay for a steak at home it was excellent.

Berwyn

Hi berwyn glad you had a great holiday i agree with everything you have said,i don`t think the majesty is quite as bad as some folk make out but there are some issues with the ship.The vibration was very bad in the seven sea`s restraunt when we ate in there in fact it was a bit off putting if i`m honest.I think the suprise of the week for us was split as we had`nt known anything about the place but we were pleasantly supprised and really enjoyed our day there,the only poor thing about the holiday was check in at corfu airport on the return flight:(.Del.

Hi berwyn glad you had a great holiday i agree with everything you have said,i don`t think the majesty is quite as bad as some folk make out but there are some issues with the ship.The vibration was very bad in the seven sea`s restraunt when we ate in there in fact it was a bit off putting if i`m honest.I think the suprise of the week for us was split as we had`nt known anything about the place but we were pleasantly supprised and really enjoyed our day there,the only poor thing about the holiday was check in at corfu airport on the return flight:(.Del.

Hi Del, we agree, that check in was crazy and on top Delyth got pulled aside and had a pat down search and went through her hand luggage too :eek:

Vibration didn't bother us too much in the restaurant. But with late sailaways in some ports it was steady in there when we ate there. We ate 2 nights in the Bistro a la carte and felt no vibration there

Split and Kotor were beautiful. We had been to Dubrovnik before and preferred Kotor.

Berwyn

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed the ports. It really is a gem of an itinerary! :)

I think it is definitely advisable then to go for the 'plus' sized cabins instead of the Standard ones!

Time for you to start planning what to do in the ports for your 60th birthday cruise now! ;)

Hi Berwyn

So glad you've had a great time and many thanks for your review. The Majesty is something to think about for the future after our cruise on the Dream next year.

Margaret

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed the ports. It really is a gem of an itinerary! :)

I think it is definitely advisable then to go for the 'plus' sized cabins instead of the Standard ones!

Time for you to start planning what to do in the ports for your 60th birthday cruise now! ;)

Hi Margaret and Sailaway,

Yes it was a lovely ship. Delyth was not so impressed with the buffet restaurant selection as I was. But rest of ship was lovely, including the cabin.

Already planning the excursions and D.I.Y. ones for next year as well as trying to work out if we can squeeze in another cruise next October on Majesty.

Berwyn

So glad you enjoyed it berwyn its a great itinery isnt it one i hope to repeat in future. Did you prebook your cabin. we have booked inside plus but not prebooked a specific cabin number. am i right in thinking there are no inside plus cabins right at the back. ps isnt kotor absolutely beautiful. did they play classical music on the sail out. they did on the spirit and i had a big lump in my throat.

So glad you enjoyed it berwyn its a great itinery isnt it one i hope to repeat in future. Did you prebook your cabin. we have booked inside plus but not prebooked a specific cabin number. am i right in thinking there are no inside plus cabins right at the back. ps isnt kotor absolutely beautiful. did they play classical music on the sail out. they did on the spirit and i had a big lump in my throat.

Wonderful itinerary, definitely a must do again. Kotor is gorgeous. One of the loveliest places we've seen.

All the inside plus cabins seem to be forward of the rear stairwell. We had 4040 just forward of the central stairwell and liftshaft. Very handy as they mainly used that one for disembarkation in ports. And only 1 deck up to waiter service restaurants and bars.

Nice and quiet and roomy.

Berwyn

Hope you can help - I am seriously considering a cruise on Majesty next year. But, having been spoilt with the launderettes on Celebration I worry about taking tons of clothes. Is there a 'bulk-buy' of dry cleaning rather than individual items (which soon add up)?

Might sound strange to others but this could be a show-stopper for us.

Hope you can help - I am seriously considering a cruise on Majesty next year. But, having been spoilt with the launderettes on Celebration I worry about taking tons of clothes. Is there a 'bulk-buy' of dry cleaning rather than individual items (which soon add up)?

Might sound strange to others but this could be a show-stopper for us.

Hi, they never left anything in the cabin to say about it like we've had similar laundry offers in the past. but we were only on for a week and didn't need it.

You'd think they would as many cruisers were on for 2 weeks or doing a cruise and stay and could have benefited from it.

Berwyn

Wonderful time Happy. Glad you like pics. Will get port and excursion pics up in next couple of days.

Berwyn

Always nice to be back Berwyn :eek::eek:....:D

Seriously, glad you had a lovely time on Majesty, may give it a go too in the future.

Hi Gelbel,

I think I can answer your question as we were on the Majesty in August, and like you I was concerned about laundry since we were having a week in Corfu before coming home. I think on about day 4 we had a card left in our cabin offering to do a bag of laundry for about £20 or £25 if ironed as well. It sounds a lot but you'd be amazed how much I crammed in! I opted for the non iron and in fact it all came back looking great with much of the stuff on hangers too. My advice would be to ask your cabin boy early on in the cruise if this is going to happen - sending individual items looked pricey. I did enquire at reception in the first few days of our cruise but they didn't seem to know what I was on about! Like you I was spoilt by the launderette on the Celebration but don't let that put you off.

Always nice to be back Berwyn :eek::eek:....:D

Seriously, glad you had a lovely time on Majesty, may give it a go too in the future.

LOl, ploughing through the washing and freezing to death. Brrr:( Sniffles started too from the plane back. Oh they joys of flying. :)

Lovely ship apart from the minor things I mentioned which did not spoil it for us.

And staff wonderful and friendly, most ex-Destiny.

Berwyn

Hi Gelbel,

I think I can answer your question as we were on the Majesty in August, and like you I was concerned about laundry since we were having a week in Corfu before coming home. I think on about day 4 we had a card left in our cabin offering to do a bag of laundry for about £20 or £25 if ironed as well. It sounds a lot but you'd be amazed how much I crammed in! I opted for the non iron and in fact it all came back looking great with much of the stuff on hangers too. My advice would be to ask your cabin boy early on in the cruise if this is going to happen - sending individual items looked pricey. I did enquire at reception in the first few days of our cruise but they didn't seem to know what I was on about! Like you I was spoilt by the launderette on the Celebration but don't let that put you off.

We used to get those offers on the Spirit & the Celebration but got no such offer this year on the Celebration so it may not necessarily continue.....:(

LOl, ploughing through the washing and freezing to death. Brrr:( Sniffles started too from the plane back. Oh they joys of flying. :)

Lovely ship apart from the minor things I mentioned which did not spoil it for us.

And staff wonderful and friendly, most ex-Destiny.

Berwyn

All that ironing/packing to go away then unpacking.... then packing again to go home, then unpacking and washing is a real drag, getting to the point now where I may chuck it back in the suitcase for next time :D could just add a couple of new things next year.

p.s got a cold too since yesterday

All that ironing/packing to go away then unpacking.... then packing again to go home, then unpacking and washing is a real drag, getting to the point now where I may chuck it back in the suitcase for next time :D could just add a couple of new things next year.

p.s got a cold too since yesterday

Delyth has already packed up her dresses and stuff she won't be wearing till the next cruise in a suitcase.

Berwyn

Sudafed, Paracetamol and plenty of fluids

Archived