Housesitter Question

MJC

Hi -- For what it's worth, I will share DD's experience. She has 2 active Jack Russel Terriers and uses a pet service when she is gone for more than a couple of days. The people she uses are bonded and insured. They come twice a day for feeding and poop clean-up and also check the house for water leaks, etc. The one person I know about brought her roller-blades for taking the dogs for a run (she lives across from a park). These dogs need lots of exercise and loved it. She has never had a problem with these people coming into her home. She also has a house cleaning company that comes into her home when she is not there, so she is very careful about what she leaves out. She has not had a problem, but I know of others who have had thefts from cleaning staff.

How do others handle cleaning service people, maintenance workers, etc. when they cannot be home?

Margee

Thank you everyone for your excellent advice so far. I have a meeting scheduled with a bonded pet sitter. It's her full-time business, she has been around a long time, and I have references to check from people IN MY CONDO COMPLEX, so I am very happy. She was a referral from my vet's office.

We boarded our first cat once long ago at the vet's, and she went on a hunger strike. Since then we have always had our neighbor do pet duty, but as I said before he is not feeling well so we are in a bind.

Our kitty is a very active 18 month old, and very social. She goes into a funk if I have a long day at work! So, I am hoping our interview works out because I would love to have someone who will play with her in the mornings besides just feed and water her. It also gives me some comfort to know that if there are problems with our place she can contact the management.

As for letting people in our home and security issues: we have a safe deposit box at the bank for our valuables to go in, and we lock our file cabinets and our computer. I don't expect someone who's been in business for 15 years to steal the little stuff, who would bother?

We are very lucky. When I retired from a northern cold state we moved to a warm western state.

Our cruises are usually over the winter. We have a dear friend from our old state who comes and house/dog sit for us. Costs us a plane ticket and is chaper than a kennel.

She is happy to get out of the snow and we like it that someone is watching our house and the dogs don't get sent to 'Doggie Prison."

DDWW

I guess I'm lucky, I found a family that watches my dog for $15 a day at their house. I actually pay $20 just because I want to be remembered as the generous one. My doggie/baby seems to really like going.

I've tried for years to find someone to "trade" dog sitting services. I've put ads up on Craigslist and in supermarkets. The replies I get are from people with too many dogs or from people who live in apartments that don't instill a sense of confidence that they'll be there when I get back.

OP, you didn't say how long you would be gone.

If your cats are indoor cats you can set down multiple bowls of water, multiple bowls of food and multiple litter boxes...the cats will be fine, unless they need medication or you're going to be gone several weeks.

Maybe a friend or family member could check on your cats once or twice while your gone but not daily, (depending on how long you are gone of course).

Perhaps we should have used the house sitter instead of our daughter. She watches our cat for us while we were on a cruise early this year. She refused to give our cat back. She also watches our African gray bird. This bird is very talkative and very fast learner. When we picked her up, the first thing she said "what the f...ck happend". For weeks, she kept saying that, finally she stopped. Now she says "I love you in my voice" and "anyone call in my husband's voice" and "Oh God...Oh ****.. in my neighbor's voice" :eek:

M

This made me laugh so hard. My 3 year old grandson stayed over and said to his mommy something I had said on the phone that was rather:o Not bad just not one of my better moments:p especially in repeat mode.

Most cats prefer to be at home

Find a pet sitter that will come to your home once or twice a day to feed and play with kitty. They will collect your mail, papers etc.

Check with your vet techs, friends, and the volunteers at your animal shelter

We have quite a few in our small town - all bonded and insured

Most cat boarding, at the vet, or even kennels. keep all cats caged during their stay......not good

I am a pet sitter and have many wonderful clients! I also use a fellow pet sitter when we go away to care for our 3 kitties. I always meet the family and pets before my first visit to make sure we are both comfortable with the situation and offer references. I've been in business 5 years and love it!

There are many, many people who trust professional house/pet sitters to come in an look after their homes while they are away.

I have had this type of business for 8 years, and so many of my clients have now become like friends.

Some people think "Oh -- I'd never have someone come in my house" but honestly, it's no different than having a

cleaner, or even a real estate agent come in. If someone didn't

trust me 100% -- believe me -- I wouldn't even WANT to go there!

Find the right person and then you can relax, and get away whenever you want or need to.

As stated above, if anyone thinks of hiring a pet sitter, make sure the person or company is reputable -- that is insured, bonded and with plenty

of references. You can find accredited pet sitters in your area by checking

out a website like Pet Sitter International (I'm not affiliated with them ---

just trying to be helpful.)

Some kennels are fine and a perfect alternative (especially for dogs) but cats can get stressed out and do better at home. I always tell clients that their kitties also go into "vacation mode" when they are away. They are simply relaxed, and sleep a lot while they wait for your return.

Something I personally do is a daily diary, and phone/email updates when folks are away. They can phone me every day to check on their fur kids if they like. Find your own comfort level, and take advantage of the different services out there. Most professional pet/home sitters simply LOVE pets and are more than trustworthy. :)

~Barb

We also have utilized a pet/house sitter and absolutely love it as do our fur babies. They are not stressed and, with 3 cats and 1 very active border collie, is much more affordable.

Several years ago we boarded the BC at a pet resort. Cost as much as the cruise:eek: however he loved it:) Cats were at home with someone checking on them. They also loved it. no BC::D

Now we have a sitter who sends photos to our iphones of the furbies, and takes care of our home. We feel much better having someone at the house and with the pets as one cat is 19 and one has had his jaw pinned and now has a broken tail. He is very needy, requiring a lot of attention. The third one thinks he is a BC so he has issue problems:p

Archived