Wine Packages on Rhapsody of the Seas

Hello, We are Elite cruisers with Princess and are trying RCCL for the first time - leaving in a couple of weeks. Can any regular RCCL cruisers tell me if you are better off pre-purchasing a wine package on the website before embarkation or waiting until you board and choosing then, or buying a bottle as you go? I'm confused! Thanks in advance for any advice.:confused:

Hello, We are Elite cruisers with Princess and are trying RCCL for the first time - leaving in a couple of weeks. Can any regular RCCL cruisers tell me if you are better off pre-purchasing a wine package on the website before embarkation or waiting until you board and choosing then, or buying a bottle as you go? I'm confused! Thanks in advance for any advice.:confused:

Pricing is identical whether purchacing in advance or onboard. If you are very specific about the wines you want, then it's better to wait until you are on board and inquire about availability. Sometimes they are temporarily out of stock of certain wines.

Here is a link to a pricing analysis thread. This should help you decide if the package is worth it to you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1129043

We noticed that the pricing is higher in Europe than it is on the U.S. sailings, at least when you buy on board. I wonder if the same price is charged if you order in advance. As I recall, the 7-bottle Diamond package was about $25 more on Brilliance than is shown on the RCI website (the generic pricing, not the or icing for ths actual cruise). And they did add 15%, so it wasn't to compensate for tipping conventions abroad.

Thanks for the info. We're cruising from Australia and the prices seem a bit extreme from what I'm used to but I think that I'll leave it until I'm aboard and choose as I go.

When we sailed on Rhapsody from Sydney, the prices were higher than on the website, but that was because they were including the 15% gratuity. On VI and BR they had the higher price AND added the gratuity.

Thanks Jean. It's good to know. I'm just finding it a bit difficult to adjust from Princess to Royal Caribbean I suppose. Our daughter chose this line this time and it's all new to us. We're trying to be organised so we know exactly what to expect before we board with two little girls as well as two couples.:confused:

Thanks Jean. It's good to know. I'm just finding it a bit difficult to adjust from Princess to Royal Caribbean I suppose. Our daughter chose this line this time and it's all new to us. We're trying to be organised so we know exactly what to expect before we board with two little girls as well as two couples.:confused:

LOL, now that IS a problem! We just got off a Princess Mexican Riviera cruise yesterday and they didn't even look at the case and a half of wine we walked on with. That's a nice policy they have there ;)

LOL Greg & Francesca! I KNOW!!! I really appreciate Princess' policy now that I've investigated another cruise line :)

:) Alcohol policies aside, you will have a wonderful time on RCI! We sailed on Freedom last February and saved a little by buying our 10-bottle wine package in advance, but I don't know much about pricing on non-US sailings. We hope you have a great journey!

The wife and I are not big wine drinkers and are quite happy with the Korbel Brut or the Beringer White Zinfandel as an alternative to a beer during dinner and some nights will carry over half a bottle or just be happy with mineral water

Add in the fact that booking in advance means paying in GBP and the exchange rate we got our dollars for this comes to $138 (Well done RCCL I have seen much worse exchange rates from hotels and other lines)

you have helped me decide that it definitely isn't worth our while pre-ordering a package and to wait and see when we board on the first day.

Excellent work thanks for taking the time.

Thanks Greg & Francesca - I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time - we are very excited and eager to experience RCCL for the first time!

Aboutface - I'll speak to my husband and see how we go. This is our first cruise with our daughter, her husband and our two granddaughters so I'm not sure if we'll have much time for meeting and mingling - if it was just the two of us we'd be there like a shot! I note that you're from Sawtell - we have a home at Korora so we're nearly neighbours although we're living in the Southern Highlands at the moment.

Timbom- I rang RCCL Australia and was told NO liquids of any type to be brought aboard which I thought was a bit tough. Particularly when we're used to Princess and P&O's policy of allowing soft drinks and water etc and Princess's policy of allowing a bottle of wine each.We have two little girls travelling with us - one of whom will only drink raspberry and apple cordial- I've bought a water package, 2 soft drink packages, and now a wine package so it's been a bit more of a hassle from what I'm used to but I've accepted it, we're now organised and ready to relax and enjoy the new experience.:)

Archived