Newer Wine Package (Over) Analysis--aka Version 3

woof22

Thanks to Critterchick posting the newest wine lists (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1128829) I was able to update my over analysis of the Wine and Dine packages.

Just like before I went overboard.

None of the prices include the 15% gratuity.

If you would like a copy of the spreadsheet just shoot me an e-mail at kappel 202 at yahoo dot com (no space between kappel and 202). I'll send it to you. It's an Excel 2007 file, so if you need the file saved as an older version of Excel just let me know and I'll save it that way before I send it to you.

For reference here are the original messages (I'm feeling lazy and don't really want to copy down the notes from there.):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789821

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805524

RCI-WineDine-v3.pdf

Nicely done! Conundrum and the Ferrari-Carano Fume are 2 of our favorite whites, so we purchased a Diamond package for our next trip on Rhapsody because I'm confident that we can consume a few bottles of each over 14 nights.:D

I had a chat with a C&A rep on the Diamond Plus desk yesterday to advise her of the new wine list - when I ordered my amenities for Mariner last week they were still offering wines off the old list and the red I had chosen was no longer available (they substituted the Trumpeter Malbec, which I found quite acceptable). She said that all of the ships should have the new list onboard by now and that they've changed the amenity choices, too. My experience was that they didn't have many of the new wines on Mariner, though. With any luck that will change quickly.

• 1 month later...

Wonderful info. Am I reading the charts correctly and see that some wines are actually MORE expensive to purchase as part of one (or more) of the packages package?

We rarely get the package as most of the wines are mediocre at best, or we fear that the wine we want will be “out of stock”

I like the suggestion of some sort of rating, in case there is a good find in the bunch. Any takers?

M

Wonderful info. Am I reading the charts correctly and see that some wines are actually MORE expensive to purchase as part of one (or more) of the packages package?

We rarely get the package as most of the wines are mediocre at best, or we fear that the wine we want will be “out of stock”

I like the suggestion of some sort of rating, in case there is a good find in the bunch. Any takers?

M

We'll be sailing March 21 and have the 5 bottle package...I'd gladly rate the 5 we choose!

M

I can tell you that DH loves Conundrum (Diamond package only). I find it to be a bit sweet, but it's pretty drinkable.

We both enjoy the Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc. As far as price/retail in the US, we usually pay just under $20 for Conundrum, so 2.5x retail is fair, IMHO. We can get the Ferrari-Carano for $11.99 on sale, so I think that's a little pricey at over 3x retail.

The Castle Rock Chardonnay (which is also the least expensive wine on the bar menus at $6.95/glass; no more La Terre in the bars) is pretty drinkable, too. It's not really oaky and is also a wee bit sweet. I recall paying about $8 for it a few years ago in the store. I haven't tried their reds, but may pick up a bottle or two to try before our upcoming Radiance cruise. Just for market research, you understand.:D

Oh, and I received a bottle of the Trumpeter Malbec as a DP amenity. Somebody else described it as "nasty," but I thought it was fine, if unremarkable.

I am happy that Conundrum is on the list. One of MY favorite wines. It is the main reason for me to order the diamond package on our upcoming Radiance MR cruise (aside from the fact that I love saving money!) The Arubamoose tolerates it (a little too sweet for him). Last time I bought a case it was $18 a bottle. The Spy Valley Pinot is also another favorite. I know DH will be ordering that one.

The first time I tasted Conundrum was on my 02 Explorer cruise. A delightful young couple at our table ordered it every night (@$53 a bottle!) and shared some with us. I was smitten ever since. It is my special occasion wine.

Thanks to Critterchick posting the newest wine lists (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1128829) I was able to update my over analysis of the Wine and Dine packages.

Just like before I went overboard.

None of the prices include the 15% gratuity.

If you would like a copy of the spreadsheet just shoot me an e-mail at kappel 202 at yahoo dot com (no space between kappel and 202). I'll send it to you. It's an Excel 2007 file, so if you need the file saved as an older version of Excel just let me know and I'll save it that way before I send it to you.

For reference here are the original messages (I'm feeling lazy and don't really want to copy down the notes from there.):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789821

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805524

Hi - the wine package costs seem to have gone up as well, with the introduction of the new wines .

This is what my booking shows:

Gold 5 $155

Gold 7 $205

Gold 10 $281

Gold 12 $315

Plat 5 $165

plat 7 $225

Plat 10 $305

Plat 12 $345

Diamond 5 $205

Diamond 7 $275

Diaomond 10 $380

Diamond 12 $455

Woof 22: Thanks for your very comprehensive analysis, it seems that there aren't really great savings to be made by choosing the wine package, it is a couple of bucks more. I think we may just go for the flexibility of choosing a bottle.

Last year, we selected individual glasse as we each choose different wines, never did the analysis, but I'm sure that was more expensive.

On our last cruise a mother and daughter had a package and indeed their favourite wine ran out. The daughter made a issue of it and there was much back and forth between waiters until it was resolved to their satisfaction.

Hi - the wine package costs seem to have gone up as well, with the introduction of the new wines .

This is what my booking shows:

Gold 5 $155

Gold 7 $205

Gold 10 $281

Gold 12 $315

Plat 5 $165

plat 7 $225

Plat 10 $305

Plat 12 $345

Diamond 5 $205

Diamond 7 $275

Diamond 10 $380

Diamond 12 $455

The one thing I noted for our Radiance cruise last month was the new pricing per bottle was dependant on number of bottles order in a package. The 12 bottles gold pkg gave a price close to the old package price per bottle which was the same (within pennies) no matter what number of bottles package was order. It is now advantageous to share larger # of bottles package with another couple/person rather than order two lesser bottles packages.

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm reading that list correctly, the most I could save is about $20 and that is only if I get the 10 or 12 bottles Diamond package and then have them all be the most expensive wine in the package. :eek:

If I choose any of the cheaper wines (which I would as the most expensive is red and only drink white) then my savings decrease.

This is not enough of a savings for me to order a package, I'd rather pay the few extra $ and chose from the entire wine list.

Thanks for putting the list together, you're hard work has my decision much easier.:D

Lois

Just to make sure everyone realizes the prices indicated do seem to include gratuity. I just purchased the 7 bottle platinum and the total was

Subtotal: *195.00 USDGratuity: *29.25 USDTotal: *224.25 USD

Someone tell me if my math is off. If I order a 39.00 bottle of wine off the platinum list, the cost to me, including gratuity will be 44.85 which represents a savings of 12.81 per bottle. 7 bottles with a similar price would net a savings of almost 90.00.

I am happy that Conundrum is on the list. One of MY favorite wines. It is the main reason for me to order the diamond package on our upcoming Radiance MR cruise (aside from the fact that I love saving money!) The Arubamoose tolerates it (a little too sweet for him). Last time I bought a case it was $18 a bottle. The Spy Valley Pinot is also another favorite. I know DH will be ordering that one.

The first time I tasted Conundrum was on my 02 Explorer cruise. A delightful young couple at our table ordered it every night (@$53 a bottle!) and shared some with us. I was smitten ever since. It is my special occasion wine.

Well, you and my DH can share a bottle and I'll try the Spy Valley with yours! Meet you in the Champagne Bar!:D

Apologies if this is a silly question.

Are these the only wines that can be purchased on board or is there a wine list with other wines that are not included in the packages?

You can see the full wine list by following the link in my signature.:)

Just to make sure everyone realizes the prices indicated do seem to include gratuity. I just purchased the 7 bottle platinum and the total was

Someone tell me if my math is off. If I order a 39.00 bottle of wine off the platinum list, the cost to me, including gratuity will be 44.85 which represents a savings of 12.81 per bottle. 7 bottles with a similar price would net a savings of almost 90.00.

That's a good point.

Originally Posted by debmarie viewpost.gif

Deb,

Both the numbers on the document and your numbers are correct. The document says platinum 7 bottle package is $195 (pre-gratuity). That's 27.85 per bottle. On a $39 bottle (pre-gratuity) you save $11.15 (pre-gratuity). If you factor in the 15% gratuity, you save more, $12.81 because your "taxable" amount is less... you pay less gratuity on the total amount (your gratuity on a $39 bottle X 7 would be $40.95 instead of $29.25 on the package amount)

Now the part where you said the doc included gratuity is wrong (I believe).... the prices on the sheet do not include gratuity... $195 for 7 bottle platinum is pre-gratuity.

Sally

P.S. Thanks for the great analysis. Will be buying the 12 bottle platinum package and choosing the MOST expensive wines!

Now the part where you said the doc included gratuity is wrong (I believe).... the prices on the sheet do not include gratuity... $195 for 7 bottle platinum is pre-gratuity.

Sally

Thanks Sally. The reason I mentioned that is because I saw the price quoted earlier in this thread as $225 for the 7 bottle package and I wanted to make sure everyone realized that posted price seems to include the gratuity. Makes a big difference in the bottom line. I think it really comes down to whether or not you can find bottles that you will be happy with. The platinum selection isn't fabulous but we are usually ok with it especially since we have at least a bottle every night.

I'm not the wine connoisseur in the family (Hubby is) so I'm going to review the list with him. If he likes the 35-39 bottles, then the 12 bottle package will be worth it... saving approx. $12 per bottle, like you said.

Our cruise is on the Mediterranean...so not sure if there are any new selections or different prices for the European clientele, or if its all the same.

I understand the wine packages can be ordered on arrival at the same price. This is probably what we'll do on embarkation day after checking things out.

Sally

Archived