2014 Panama Cruises

oz61

Considering cruising from New York to LA by doing a Panama cruise (or vice versa). The only cruise like this is for April 2013. When would the 2014 cruises be released? If we are planning to do a few days in NYC and a few in LA, is this a good way to get to one from the other as part of a US holiday for Australians? Are the ports on these cruises worthwhile? Any thoughts, ideas on the various ship options appreciated!

Considering cruising from New York to LA by doing a Panama cruise (or vice versa). The only cruise like this is for April 2013. When would the 2014 cruises be released? If we are planning to do a few days in NYC and a few in LA, is this a good way to get to one from the other as part of a US holiday for Australians? Are the ports on these cruises worthwhile? Any thoughts, ideas on the various ship options appreciated!

With the Breakaway coming to NYC in May 2013 I would not expect a repo from NYC thru te Canal in 2014. 2014-15 itineraries will be released in December.

MANY Oz people do the Panama Canal from NY to LA and beyond depending on the Jones Act, however, I believe that Spring, 2013 will be the last time that NY is in the picture as Fall, 2013, the Jewel will homeport in New Orleans.

That isn't to say, that there won't be a future one; but none for the foreseeable future.

We are doing the cruise next April. I would assume that the cruise dates for 2014 will be released soon maybe even by the end of the year.

As for the port cities, they are what you make them. We have family who live in LA so when the ship docks in LA we will be spending a few days with them before taking the train back to the eastern US.

I would research the cities to see what the highlights are and whether or not you think staying a few days before and/or after the cruise is worth it to you.

Either way, I hope you have a great time if you sail the Panama Canal.

Thanks for your responses. Can you please advise what the Jones Act is?

Not a simple answer but the general rule is an internationally flagged ship can not under the Passenger Service Act transport passengers from one US port to another without going to a distant foreign port first. So to go from NY to LA they have to hit South America. Just a stop in the Bahamas would only be a foreign port not a distant foreign port. I know it is crazy but the intent is to protect US workers and US flagged ships.

Archived