docking in Cozumel

rockinmlb

We were on Paradise this past May and they pulled into Cozumel, while me and my husband were drooling over Oasis of the Seas. Elation was on the other side of the Carnival dock and it was also pulled in.

do they back in or pull into the dock at Coz ... I booked a specific room on the Triumph and now Im second guessing my choice not knowing how we will be in port

Who cares; you're on vacation !!! :)

while your smart alleck answer is right, I do have a reason for asking. :D

Thanks .. last time we were there we were pulled in also. I didnt know if they did each time or not. Not that it matters, but I wanted my kids (6 & 8) be able to watch from our balcony, vs up on deck.

We have been in Cozumel 4 times and I believe we were parked like the picture above. Only difference is when we had a ship on the other side, twice I believe. We usually go to the MDR and eat breakfast in there while pulling in. You can request the land side to sit at, too, if that helps ya.

We booked port side because we would like to see the ports from our balcony. I have since learned that it can dock on either side. So I guess we will get to see some ports & then we will miss some. Oh well. I do understand your question tho, hopefully your kids will get to see docking from your balcony. Smooth sailing

Oh and we booked port side ... 1060 on panorama

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Not wanting to create debate' date=' but when we book we have always booked starboard side and have been looking down at the piers in the different ports, sometimes pulling in and other times backing in. It will just depend.

[/i']

Oh and we booked port side ... 1060 on panorama

And here's the view from the Panorama Deck on the Dream which will be close to what you will see on the Triumph. And believe me, it's a long, long walk to the end of that pier! If you've been bar hopping on the island, I suggest you take a bathroom break before heading back to the ship. :o http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2208833290030186251CPfjDM

Understand your principle behind wanting to see docking form your balcony.

We have done balconies the last 4 cruises and I still like the views better from the secret decks. That way you can watch the Pilot boat coming towards you.

That might be interesting for your kids to see that and how they (pilot captain) get on the ship.

JMO Have a great cruise, you will love the balcony.

@rock---There are several things that will determine how the ship will approach the dock. # 1 is the wind factor #2 dock availibity. no tugboats at Cozumel ship uses thrusters only Some dock positions will require a forward approach some others will require an aft approach (backing into dock) The only way to know in advance which dock and what approach to that dock is to ask a deck officer the night before by that time they will know what dock the ship will be going to. Have a great cruise.

It seems to depend how many ships are in port that day. If you are the only ship in port, the ship should pull into the outside of the pier like in the picture above. But if there are 2 ships, the bigger ship docks on the outside, the smaller ship pulls in and then backs out on departure. That has been my experience.

Last week, on the Imagination, we docked at Puerta Maya with the port side towards the island.

cozumel1.jpg

IF your ship is docked at this dock they seem to always pull in. I say this lightly because that's my experience in the two times I've been to Cozumel and I've never seen a ship backed into this dock.

However, from the vantage point of the person who took this picture, there is another dock off to the right that some of the smaller ships use and I have seen them backed in on this dock. I think they were the fantasy class ships that I have seen backed in. I will try and find a photo.

Ok here's a pic of what I'm taking about. On the left side of this pic is the main dock in cozumel, but to the right is the smaller dock. In this picture you can see one of the fantasy class ships backed in.

DSC00857.jpg

Thanks a bunch :-) we really are happy either way .. just a few thoughts to ponder on until we leave. I would also enjoy the pier runners lol :thumbup::beer:

Yeah, we always enjoy watching the runners ( stumblers) ...we call it the "fat tuesday's memorial run"...lol

We had a port side balcony on the Triumph in May, pulled in as the picture shows where you look straight down on the dock. Then last month we pulled in on the opposite side of the dock, we had a port side balcony again but you could still see the first part of the dock from shore, so was able to see the "runners" as they left the shopping area. Not that they were in any hurry, even though it was past the all aboard time and the ships horn had sounded several times. I'm not sure why it pulled in on opposite sides, we were the only ship in port both days. Have a great cruise, your kids will love it.

Archived