Why does the price keep rising?

I have been looking at the Thomson Majesty for the end of November but the price has gone up 3 times in the last two weeks, why does this happen, anyone know out of interest? Like anyone else I am after the best price and really fancy this cruise.

I have been looking at the Thomson Majesty for the end of November but the price has gone up 3 times in the last two weeks, why does this happen, anyone know out of interest? Like anyone else I am after the best price and really fancy this cruise.

Prices are really hard to predict with Thomson these days. It used to be a month or so before the cruise, prices would drop considerably, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I think, as long as the cruise is getting a lot of interest and hits on its website, and has a lot of people still booking, the price can still rise. I know Colourful Coasts itinerary is particularly popular. It's usually in the top 3 of the most searched cruises with Thomson (or that's what Thomson tell us anyway :rolleyes:).

I'm afraid it's supply and demand! And unfortunately none of us can predict that. We may have had experience of what tends to happen historically - but that's no guarantee that this pattern will hold for the up-coming season.

I must say we have often done quite well out of late deals (as well as sometimes paying top whack for something we have really wanted to do) but have also fallen foul of this strategy and missed out altogether on a cruise I'd been tracking.

Clearly either:

- they are still selling this cruise fairly steadily,

- they have few cabins left,

- there are few seats still available on the flight from your choice of airport (have you a choice of airports which would suit? If so try the alternatives there can be a surprising difference between the same holiday from a different airport)

- or else they're playing psychological games (prices going up - must jump before they rise any further!)

or a mixture of all these and some I haven't thought of! And as we don't have crystal balls it's impossible to predict what the bottom price will be.

Have you gone through a 'mock' booking (don't go as far as entering your credit card details!! :eek::D:D) you will see whether they are tagging specific cabins as 'Only 5 left' (they bother if it's more than that) or 'Only X seats left' (on the plane - think they start recording that when it gets down to 9). When it gets to that stage with still 6/8 weeks to go it may be there isn't too much availability - hence higher prices. But if it's not showing limited cabins/seats there is a hope that if that doesn't change they may bring prices down a bit - although they seem more reluctant to do that than they used to.

Our recent trip had two cabin categories which never dropped to 'Only 5 left' right up to the day before departure and yet they didn't knock those (minimum of 10) cabins down at the last minute. I was surprised to be honest. Perhaps they have adopted a different marketing strategy to try to beat us at our 'waiting game' and prepared to take a temporary 'hit' to get us out of the notion that by waiting we'll get a better deal. Who knows?

Anyway, good luck, hope the price drops a bit for you. :)

we booked ours for January, Dream flying from Gatwick January coming. We paid £3,630 and booked in a shop. i keep looking on the internet about every month to see, and never seen it any cheaper than what we paid. Today, it £4,280 for exactly what we have without the onboard credit so i'm happy with the deal!

On a sadder note, we just came back from Florida and went to book Dream for september next year, price gone up and no all inc anymore. Teaches me for waiting doesn't it!? Should have justed booked before we went like we were going too! Oh well, win some, loose some!

A few weeks ago I priced our chosen week up, then 2 weeks later it went up by £500 and priced us out of the market, so today just out of interest I did the same.

It's now gone up by a staggering £1000,I know the drinks packages were added yesterday but they were£ 172 for us 3. So at £4000 for one weeks cruise (compared to this year of £3000) we won't be going at all in the distant future never mind near future. I can't see how in 4 weeks it can go up by so much, it's quite disgusting that they do that. :mad:

We booked last week for Celebration next May we had drinks package included now you have to pay,this year we where lucky last year waited and had to pay.

wolf7

UPDATE ....

Just booked it, the price has gone up and down 5 times in the last few days so seized the opportunity whilst it was cheaper, but what a ball ache, spoke to 7 different people due to the online booking not working properly, even though it had taken my money the page was saying error, a call centre in some distant land were no use and could not refund my money, had to speak to different departments in the UK in the end but all booked for 24th november on the majesty, hope it turns out better than my experience trying to book it !

UPDATE ....

Just booked it, the price has gone up and down 5 times in the last few days so seized the opportunity whilst it was cheaper, but what a ball ache, spoke to 7 different people due to the online booking not working properly, even though it had taken my money the page was saying error, a call centre in some distant land were no use and could not refund my money, had to speak to different departments in the UK in the end but all booked for 24th november on the majesty, hope it turns out better than my experience trying to book it !

Hopefully it will - as many of us on here can tell you, the glitches in the admin side are legendary BUT the good news is - once you arrive at the airport (specific airport organisation/chaos to one side! :eek:) Thomson has a very well oiled machine in terms of transfers, service, systems on board and return arrangements. I'm sure you'll have a great time - and well done getting a lower price in all the fluctuations.

UPDATE ....

Sounds like a lot of work that booking! :eek:

At least its now done and booked, and can now start planning your cruise! ;)

Thomson’s prices go up and down from week to week sometimes day by day, Special offers creep in and out at random intervals?

there has been endless speculation as to why the prices change so frequently and sometimes so dramatically....there doesn’t seem to be any discernable pattern to it at all?

some cruise lines offer a refund if the price drops after booking but not Thomsons

depending on itinerary and for a basic cabin & no AI a good average figure to keep in your head is about £50 - £70 PP per day anything that deviates considerably from there is either: an utter bargain or a complete rip off!

maybe factor in a 'little' more for school holidays or long haul flights and likewise for no fly ex UK

I've been endlessly looking for patterns in Thomsons fares (OCD Kicking in here) and there just isn’t one!

I guess this is how they keep us on the hop:(

Thomson’s prices go up and down from week to week sometimes day by day, Special offers creep in and out at random intervals?

there has been endless speculation as to why the prices change so frequently and sometimes so dramatically....there doesn’t seem to be any discernable pattern to it at all?

some cruise lines offer a refund if the price drops after booking but not Thomsons

depending on itinerary and for a basic cabin & no AI a good average figure to keep in your head is about £50 - £70 PP per day anything that deviates considerably from there is either: an utter bargain or a complete rip off!

maybe factor in a 'little' more for school holidays or long haul flights and likewise for no fly ex UK

I've been endlessly looking for patterns in Thomsons fares (OCD Kicking in here) and there just isn’t one!

I would gladly pay £50 - £70 per day, my current cruise, though its in august outside plus is currently £190 per day. I can't see it halving in price at all :( so fact is we will have to wait until August 2014 to get a decent price that is unless it comes right down in price, which I doubt.

You are joking?

My Majesty cruise next February is costing £141 per day :mad:

Checkout the Thomsons website:

Escape Med Adventure 9.10.12 £66pp Outside cabin

Majesty Agean 12.10.12 £95pp Outside plus

Spirit Med Highlights 13.10.12 £66pp Outside cabin

Celebration Holy land 15.10.12 £76pp Outside cabin

Dream Colourfull Coasts 19.10.12 £69pp Inside

Checkout the Thomsons website:

Escape Med Adventure 9.10.12 £66pp Outside cabin

Majesty Agean 12.10.12 £95pp Outside plus

Spirit Med Highlights 13.10.12 £66pp Outside cabin

Celebration Holy land 15.10.12 £76pp Outside cabin

Dream Colourfull Coasts 19.10.12 £69pp Inside

No wonder they are all within 2 weeks and the weeks prior to half term!

A little more for school holidays, I think you're looking at doubling the price!!!

Many of the prices for next year seem to have gone up- maybe they are concentrating their discounts on the autumn/ winter cruises.

Our fjords cruise next July on the spirit has gone up 12.5% since we booked it in August.

(It will probably plummet down after Christmas, then I won't be so happy!)

kate

Prices are really hard to predict with Thomson these days. It used to be a month or so before the cruise, prices would drop considerably, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I think, as long as the cruise is getting a lot of interest and hits on its website, and has a lot of people still booking, the price can still rise. I know Colourful Coasts itinerary is particularly popular. It's usually in the top 3 of the most searched cruises with Thomson (or that's what Thomson tell us anyway :rolleyes:).

Booked my first Thomson cruise ten days ago, Colourful Coasts. The price has gone down by £176 pp since then. When I booked it said " Only five seats left " This has now disappeared. Naturally I am a bit miffed and very disappointed in Thomson's tactics.

Booked my first Thomson cruise ten days ago, Colourful Coasts. The price has gone down by £176 pp since then. When I booked it said " Only five seats left " This has now disappeared. Naturally I am a bit miffed and very disappointed in Thomson's tactics.

Which is why I never look after booking, a few years ago sadly our holiday was £700 checked when I next checked, so I learned not to!

Not just about the money, more to do with the web site saying " Hurry only five seats left" to spur people into booking. I checked again today, putting in the maximum nine passengers. No problem..... nine seats available !!!!:(

Indeed, the old hands are cynical about online sales techniques. Only 3 cabins left!. On my cruise next Feb it has been saying that for months.

Apparently the price varies according to the day of the week, more expensive at weekends because more people book then.

I think that when they say 'Only.. cabins left' it will be true (as if it could be proved otherwise it would be quite a trades description gaffe which could be very bad press).

However, I think whilst Thomson may only have a few available, there are probably allocations of cabins which are 'sitting' with other T.A., on-line booking companies and TV and press promotions waiting to be sold. At some point I assume that these will go back to Thomson if they haven't been sold - hence available cabins from Thomson are suddenly many more than they had been (this may not be the case - just a possible explanation).

But 6/8 weeks out from departure when the balance of the cruise cost is due for a number of reasons there may be quite a few cabins which previously had been held on deposit become available again.

Then there could be some cancellations too which can increase cabin numbers again.

I agree the number of cabins can be quite misleading as it appears one minute there is some pressure on a given category then a little while later with no 'Limited number' indication there are clearly more available.

It is very unusual though to find significantly more flight seats becoming available - if any at all. I've tracked quite a number of holidays and usually when a flight sells out no more cruises are offered from that departure airport. Of course an odd cancellation would make more seats available but whilst I view the cabin situation as a moveable feast - my experience makes me concerned when plane seats start to dwindle!

Archived