Funship Dollars

Calkacky

It doesn't defeat your argument here. If I was trying to and didn't, that would be one thing, but I wasn't trying to. I wasn't asking for, nor do I care about your (or anyone else's) opinion on how I'm spending my money. This was my post with MY questions. Not yours! I never had a question of what the point of FS $ is. If you want to know what the point of FS $ is, start your own post and leave it out of mine. Geez!!!

Thank you to those of you who did answer my questions. I really do appreciate it.

Well stated Calkacky. I'll never understand why people on here respond to folks who ASK questions regarding a topic related to cruising with opinions or advice of what they'd rather do, or not do, and provide no answers. Questions like yours regarding on board spending and setting up S&S accounts, I've seen answered with financial advice, and not surprisingly, "judgement calls" on how people manage their credit cards. Stuff is unbelievable sometimes.

Not that anyone should care, but we are going on the Breeze TA/Relocation cruise next month, which of course sails out of Barcelona Spain. We've planned to spend a few days before the cruise seeing what we can of Barcelona. We decided for this cruise, we wanted to setup as much OBC as we could to our S&S account before boarding. We've cashed in some Funpoints, a couple of FCC's and yes, have purchased FS$'s using some of our "disposable" income and paid for with my bank credit/debit card. So as of today, we have nice "stash of cash" heading into our cruise. We may even receive additional OBC from ES price drops that we are waiting for. But for this cruise, we wanted a prepaid onboard account, and that's what we have, cause thats how WE wanted to do it!!!

"I personally don't like carrying around that much cash."

why would you need cash on the cruise? other then a few bucks for room service and bar tips

another weird quote " when people use a credit card, they spend 12 -18% more"

Did you know you can pay your balance in full every month? 0 interest

I did end my original post with "to each their own", so go ahead and do what you feel comfy with, but that said, personally I will not hand over my cash until I have to. That was my point why I do not understand FS$. Sorry.

Simple, really.......;)

"I personally don't like carrying around that much cash."

why would you need cash on the cruise? other then a few bucks for room service and bar tips

another weird quote " when people use a credit card, they spend 12 -18% more"

Did you know you can pay your balance in full every month? 0 interest

I always use cash or debit, but I will not use my cards in another country, my choice. I take money off the ship with me to spend in port. I always tip my steward well.

Credit cards are what has gotten the people in this country in financial trouble in the first place. People rely on them way too much, most can't pay theirs off at the end of the month or if they are late/miss a payment, banks raise their interest and its almost impossible for people to catch up and end up spending thousands in interest. We taught our kids how to budget, pay cash and do not get in debt. I will never have another credit card.

Why do you asks so many questions? Why do you judge?

Calling people statements weird is just plain nasty, you should really focus all your energy on something a little more productive because you seem to know it all. ;)

Well, except how to answer an OP's question, you still need a little work on that.

Happy Sailing,

Thank you for asking this question, I was trying to find the link for that. I myself have some FS$ to apply to our upcoming cruise. Our cruise is paid off, I have purchased 2 different shore excursions and I will be trading in my Carnival Mastercard points for OBC in another few weeks and that will pay for our tips. I use that CC to purchase groceries, gas, fuel for our house and I use it to pay for our cruises and anything carnival related. We get 2/1 points when purchasing from carnival so I buy the FS$ ahead of time and apply them to our booking. FS$ are also great stocking stuffers!

For those on here who think they know more about how to manage other people's finances.....I have credit cards and I pay them off in full each month paying zero in interest. AND, I pre-buy Funship Dollars. I have $100 per month figured in my budget to purchase them; therefore, I gain 100 credit card points each month (1200 per year).

When I step on the ship, my cruise is paid in full, my tips are pre-paid and I have at least $600 in OBC....AND, a zero balance on all my credit cards. Yes, I could just put it all on my credit card with the intention to pay the balance in full as I do every month. But, what happens if something unforseen happens on the cruise? What if I have a medical emergency? What if I have to make emergency arrangements to return home? Yes, I have cruise insurance, but you have to pay upfront and then get reimbursed later. I like to get on that ship and head out of the country knowing full well that every penny of my credit lines are available if I need them. And, yes, I could easily take that $100 and stick it in an envelope under my bed, or a seperate bank account, but it would be doing exactly the same thing sitting there that it does in the form of Funship Dollars. The monthly purchase helps with the excitement of cruising....I know I am one month closer to my vacation.

So, if you personally don't see the point in buying them, then don't. Next time you see a thread asking about Funship Dollars...just keep on scrolling because "personally" you have no interest in them.

Now, as to the OP's original question, I've wondered how they keep them seperate when there are seperate S&S accounts in one cabin. Carnival is known for getting stuff confused, so I just have them mailed to me and take the physical certificate to Guest Services on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise (never go at the beginning or the end when they are crazy busy) and have them applied.

Personally, I didn't ask for comments about how or why I'm purchasing FSD. However, that being said, I don't plan on purchasing them with a credit card. I plan to use my debit card. I like to "prepay" for as much stuff as possible and buying FSD to pad my account will keep me from having a credit card bill afterwards. For those who don't think this is a good idea, that is your opinion. For me, it is the right thing to do.

Thanks to those who answered the questions I asked. I really do appreciate it!

Well said!! Prepay is how i look at it too!!!

Archived