Mistake to only walk on side of DRF's?

GrammaJo128

Dh and I want to see the falls, but neither of us are particularly interested in making a human chain to actually climb them with everyone. Can the falls be just as enjoyable by walking on the side line and just going in a couple of times to feel the cascading water and take a few photos? In other words, is it worth the money to just do it that way? Any opinions from others who may have chosen to not do the physical climb?

Also, I thought I read that they will assign you a guide even if you are not climbing. We do not want a guide! Do they 'make' you take a guide to walk along the viewing sideline? I can't imagine what purpose they would serve. Thanks for any information. These boards have helped us newbies immeasurable! I can't wait to one day be one of the people who can actually contribute with answers. ;)

You do not need a guide to walk up and down the path beside the falls. You can stand in the water at the bottom and get great pics looking back up the falls and there are several overlooks along the walkway for watching and taking pics. Just say no thank you to any guides that approach you and continue walking. They might want your camera to take your pic but just say no thank you. They all want tips for doing anything for you.

Google drf on YouTube.

And....about 3/4 of the way up there's a platform and entrance to a flat level of the falls. It gets really steep after that point so some people decide to stop climbing there and exit the falls, but you can enter there, take some nice photos, splash around a bit, and go back out. That's what we did a few years ago since we didn't want to climb the whole thing. Enjoy :)

Thanks so much!

Now we can go knowing that we don't have to worry about falling on slippery rocks......

I broke my hand walking up the gangway in Greece a couple of years ago so I am so paranoid about breaking something again, not taking any chances. Having that cast on sucked!!

We travelled with a group of friends about 4 years ago and my husband and I attempted to climb. About 5 minutes in, we decided that we couldn't do it and decided to do the stairs off to the side but the rest of the group continued to climb. We had so much fun just watching our other friends climb the falls and decided that it was best that we didn't continue on the falls. Although we didn't exactly climb the falls, we enjoyed it.

And....about 3/4 of the way up there's a platform and entrance to a flat level of the falls. It gets really steep after that point so some people decide to stop climbing there and exit the falls, but you can enter there, take some nice photos, splash around a bit, and go back out. That's what we did a few years ago since we didn't want to climb the whole thing. Enjoy :)

That sounds like a good option. A big part of me wants to climb, but I'm with Waverly in that I'm just so afraid of slipping and breaking something! I'm also pretty shy and hate the thought of holding hands with total strangers. It seems like a lot of money to spend to walk along the sideline, but I imagine we can still appreciate the beauty of it all. DH has no desire to climb, but I'm hoping when we get there he decides he'd like to do it then the money the go to the falls would make more sense to me. Thanks to all!

Archived