Cruise Bashing?

mj

I have been on 11 cruises to date and have been fortunate enough to take 2 cruises a year over the last 4 years. My very first one was on the Sovereign of the Seas in 2000 and have been hooked ever since. I have taken 6 on Carnival and 5 on RCL. But as I have taken more cruises, I have found to be greeted with stuff like Aren't you tired of taking so many cruises? I don't know why you go on so many. Wouldn't you like to go somewhere else for a change?

Just the other day, I was discussing with a co-worker about going to London next year. There was no discussion about cruising at all. Half-way through the conversation, she blurted out I would rather go to London than take a cruise anyday. After getting back from the Glory, a co-worker asked how was the trip and after I stated that I had a good time. She stated that my brother just took a cruise and he hated the nickel and diming and she would never go on one.

Do any of you all have any similar experiences? I love cruising and will continue to cruise as long as it is affordable and provides a good value.

If I had a dollar for every time a co-worker said "you're going on a cruise again???" I'd be able to cruise more often. :p I think the reasons for saying that varies - some I think are jealous because they never do a big vacation, and others just don't understand why you would cruise every year - they just don't get the addiction.

It gets to the point where you don't even want to tell them. But I don't let it lessen my excitement - it's their issue, not mine. :D

I get far more positive feedback than negative. But there are people who must say something either to deflate the other person (who needs folks like that?) or express some bad experience that someone in history actually had on a cruise ship. Rarely, however, is it actually that person who had the bad experience. This causes me to think that there are very few people who've ever had a bad time on a cruise...those few are just bound and determined to tell everyone, everywhere...

We've cruised twice and are hooked. We also get the "wouldn't you rather go someplace and stay for awhile?" from friends. But there's just nothing else like cruising. As for nickle and diming, what you spend is pretty much up to you after the initial fare and gratuities. Someone who says they would never go on one without having tried it first is really losing out! She puts far too much faith in what she's told by her brother-in-law!

We love unpacking once and the wonderful ambiance of a cruise. We love all the great people you meet on board, including the staff, who for the most part, seem to be happy to be there and happy to serve you. The ships are beautiful. There's so much freedom and fun to be had. Who could hate cruising. Although, my next cruise is with my sister. Her husband would definitely be a "fish out of water" on a cruise :D I guess it takes all kinds. As cruising becomes more popular, prices will probably go up due to demand, so as far as I'm concerned, stay home. Keep the prices low for those of us who know better!

Happy cruising!

Some people just genuinely don't like the sea, so for them it wouldn't be an enjoyable vacation. I never take it personally, if someone is not a cruise lover. My brother and his wife travel a lot and prefer land vacations to cruises. I just see it as 'Different strokes for different folks'. It's great to have choices.

I get way more positive comments, myself. Most of our friends, neighbors and co-workers are genuinely "jealous" that we travel at least once a year...especially taking cruises.

I do hear, "Oh, I heard that the food isn't that great etc..." But, there are so many more positives than negatives.

I love cruising...and even though we only have 3 under our belts and 1 booked, I know it will be a tradition for us.

More than likely, your co-workers are just "green with envy." They just choose to show it in another way.

Encourage cruise bashing. Tell people bad things about cruising and never say how much fun we have. Remember the laws of supply and demand: The more people want something the higher the price. So let all those cruise bashers think they are right and keep the price lower for those of us in the know.:D

I have done it all. Backpacked through Europe fro months on end, hotel vacations, camping vacations, cruises etc etc. And I think I agree with people who don't understand why anyone would only cruise as opposed to exploring other ways of traveling. There are so many exciting places to travel to that a cruise line could never have access to. To limit your vacation time to cruises is in my opinion denying yourself exciting opportunities that are just as exciting, thrilling and addicting.

That said, as a single Mom, I find cruising the safest and easiest way to go on vacation with my kids. I don't have to worry about transportation, food, entertainment and more. As such, I am soon going on my 3rd cruise. But, my next vacation is also in the planning: a backpacking trip throug Europe with my oldest son....for 8 weeks. And it is THAT one I am most excited about.

Before we discovered cruising, we did land vacations all over the U.S. and once to England. These days, time doesn't permit more than one or two vacations a year. We lean toward cruising but haven't given up on other options.

My co-workers have fallen into several categories: the jealous, the uninformed, and the truly interested.

go on so many cruises. I am middle income person, we have raised and have sent 3 kids through college. I used to tell them what a bargain cruising was and they should try it, they couldn't believe that someone could go on so many cruises( have been on 30 now, starting with one a year and now go twice a year} So now when someone asks how we can afford it, I just tell them I'm wealthy and watch their expression as I walk away.

I thought it was just me. I have one person at work that keeps bashing us due to being able to do a cruise a year - that she can't do it - that she is single - that she needs to work for necessities - da da da da. Single without child. Very negative person.

Anyhow I know people who travel to other places on planes and the cost of the planes is close to what is for a week on a cruise.

I'm hooked - unless we get a huge wave or something like that next week.

My mom likes to cruise also. When she got back from a RCL cruise, one of the co-workers told her she would never take a cruise. She had a friend to take a RCL cruise and the only thing they had to eat the entire voyage was caviar. That was a first.

Encourage cruise bashing. Tell people bad things about cruising and never say how much fun we have. Remember the laws of supply and demand: The more people want something the higher the price. So let all those cruise bashers think they are right and keep the price lower for those of us in the know.:D

Exactly my thoughts. The fewer people that know about this thing we've discovered, the better. :)

A lot of my male friends that are "still" married will say "I don't want to be stuck on a damn ship for a week", when what they really mean is "I don't want to be stuck on a damn ship for a week with my WIFE ! ! " :D

When I suggest we book a 3-day weekender on the PARADISE just for the boys, where we can eat, drink, smoke cigars, and play poker for 3 solid days, they suddenly get interested. :D

When most people see the prices in the brochure, they don't realize that NOBODY pays that price ! They also don't realize that with the exception of drinking and gambling that price is virtually an all inclusive. Add up all the air to different ports (if you were to attempt to do this as a land vacation), the cab fares from and to the airports, the hotel charges, the dining costs and cruising is an ABSOLUTE STEAL ! ! Plus you only have to unpack ONCE. :D

It's hard for me to describe the anti-cruise naysayers without using language that would get this post deleted and offend a lot of people. Just use your imagination...hey, isn't that the name of one of those lousy ships?:rolleyes:

Where I work, Im call for advice on Cruises and since I work nights, its a 5 to 6 hour conversional piece and time flys when your talking about fun stuff. Now more people at work go on cruises every year and selling off their RV's and desert toys after going on their first cruise, all with positive things to say. We now have people that set up Cruise groups at work, These crazy people want to do the Liberty Cruise out of Europe next year.. I think Im gona join them LOL:eek:

I have not met a negative person while Face to Face, more on this website then in person. Sounds like that lady at your work is pissed off she cant go on one.

:D I gave up trying to justify my reasons for cruising, so I just don't tell anybody I'm going on a cruise anymore...only my son, and that's so he can water my plants and take care of my cat.

My best friends go to the same resort in the Smokey Mountains every fall...and have for 20+ years. I never understood that, but they never understood my love of the ocean. (Guess that's why I live beachfront, and they live in the woods ten miles away from the Gulf.):rolleyes:

Nobody's business, and I'm too old to let it matter what anybody thinks anyway. To each their own.

I could care less what anybody says about cruising. My wife and I since our 1st cruise 2 yrs ago have been on 4 now. We both love it and as long as we pay for them who cares what a coworker or friend says. I have 6 weeks vacation and my wife's work allows her to take off when ever she wishes. We enjoy traveling and cruises fit into exactly how we wish to travel. You cant beat the cost and value of cruising. I for one enjoy having my wife's company the longer the cruise the better. After are last cruise 2 weeks to Hawaii a one week cruise seems to short now ;)

I think with cruising, it's a love it or hate it deal...only people like us that have a passion for the sea can understand the draw of taking a cruise as often as possible. I know personally for my entire family, we are all water people...we are all water signs (2 Cancers and a Picese :) ) and I share my life with a breed of dog that has webbed feet. My girls are competitive swimmers and we live 6 miles from the Atlantic ocean and a great beach. To us, the sea...or some form of water, is a necessity.....many people don't understand that need.

People like different things. Some people have the "Love Boat" stuck in their heads and think cruising is too __________________ fill in the blank. It is not for everyone but by in large people who go out of their way to knock something either are jealous or don't understand. I am working on a trip to India next year. I don't tell many people about the trip anymore because of the negative reactions I get, crime, poverty, fear of another culture.

Archived