Looking for the perfect beach in Roatan

Folsom

OK, so on my first cruise we went to St. Maarten and we took a cab to Orient Beach. To date this has been my favorite beach experience and I am looking to duplicate it. I thought about what made it so nice and relaxing and I have developed my "wish list" for a beach while we are in port.

Please review my list and let me know if you can recommend one that comes close.

1. Within 30 minutes of the dock.

2. Chairs and umbrellas for rent.

3. Bar service (or a bar close by)

4. changing facilities

5. Not too crowded.

Thanks so much for your time if you decide to reply.

-F-

Which port is your ship docking?

From what I understand there are only three kinds of beach experiences on the island...

West Bay Beach, the premier beach on the island, for very good reason I might add. West Bay has several resorts offering day passes or Tabyana is part of West Bay Beach. It is a healthy 45 min from Mahogany Bay, 30 minutes from Coxen Hole.

Clubs that offer day passes mostly to Cruise Guests.

Las Palmas, Little French Key, Maya Key

Isolated Resorts that offer day passes.

Parrot Tree, Fantasy Island, Paya Bay

Oops there is a fourth, Mahogany Bay, the cruise terminal beach.

If the only things you need are 1-5 and your ship docks at Mahogany Bay, that would fit the bill..though I don't know what the crowd situation is.

Hmm, you would have to check with each one about umbrellas for rent, that may be a first come first serve kinda deal.

If you wish easy access to reef snorkeling the list is more limited.

OK, so on my first cruise we went to St. Maarten and we took a cab to Orient Beach. To date this has been my favorite beach experience and I am looking to duplicate it. I thought about what made it so nice and relaxing and I have developed my "wish list" for a beach while we are in port.

-F-

Well you won't find the nude side of the beach like at Orient Beach, ;) but I'd send you to West Bay Beach. The size of the crowds at Orient and West Bay are dependent on how many ships are in port that day.

I have been to Orient Beach and I will tell you that West Bay Beach blows it

A-W-A-Y !!!!

But....as posted you won't find any nude areas. Which in my opinion is a good thing since all the nude people that walked by us were uh.... how can I say this...... less than "look worthy" :o

But the beach is gorgeous, the water is crystal clear and all shades of blue, the reef is healthy and easy to get to and the food and drinks are all right there and yummy and priced very reasonable.

As a side note: while there you can take a water taxi (a small boat) for $3.00 pp to West End Village and look around. Takes about 8-10 minutes each way. It is quite cool and very laid back (streets are sand) but there are some nice shops, galleries and bars/restaurants. Nice way to break up the day a bit.

PS: We returned this summer for a week stay at Infinity Bay. Food there is very good at the Palapa Bar Restaurant - right on the beach. It is a private resort but they will let you on the property if you want to eat. Try the curry chicken salad served over pineapple, or the fish tacos or the burgers are good too and if you feel like splurging.....the lobster was really really good ! Also the fried lobster at the Lighthouse Restaurant in West End Village was pretty good too for $9.00 including fries. Dh had that and I had the lobster melt.....can you say YUM?!

• 2 weeks later...
I have been to Orient Beach and I will tell you that West Bay Beach blows it

A-W-A-Y !!!!

Sorry for asking. We also look forward to spending time on West Bay Beach. But we do not want to take any excursion (either local or cruise). Is it safe to take a taxi from Mahogany (where cruise ship stops) to West Beach? And how much will taxi cost? Are glass-bottom kayaks available at West Beach?

Thank you in advance:)

Have not docked at Mahogany Bay. When we visited by ship we docked in Coxen Hole. We negotiated with a taxi to spend the day with us for $15.00 per person. We had 3 people so = $ 45.00. He took us to West End Village, waited for us while we did a dive, then to lunch, then to West Bay Beach and waited again. Then back to the ship. Negotiate a day with a taxi and you will get a better rate.

As for being safe, we also visited Roatan this past summer for a week. We stayed right on West Bay Beach but also explored other parts of the island. We felt safe at all times. You do not want to wander the beaches in remote locations AT NIGHT by yourself tho.

I did not see any glass bottom kayaks at WBB....but I wasn't looking either. Roatan is still developing as a tourist location so the more unusual items still are not available. But that is part of the charm - not over developed YET ;)

Archived