Need some clarification on deposits Please

Hi all! So when we were last booking a cruise they still offered actual money back when you had a price drop and you could switch your deposit around ship to ship. Meaning, if I put a deposit down on a cruise and then couldn't make that one I could move that deposit to another cruise. Do they still do that? We want to cruise in February and it's getting late so I'd like to get a booking in. But I'm just afraid if plans change I will lose that money. Also, do they still give you money back or have they changed to OBC for price drops after booking? Either is good really :D but I'd just like to know. Also do you still get something back if you made final payment?

I've searched Rccl .com but can't find information specific to my questions :(

Hi all! So when we were last booking a cruise they still offered actual money back when you had a price drop and you could switch your deposit around ship to ship. Meaning, if I put a deposit down on a cruise and then couldn't make that one I could move that deposit to another cruise. Do they still do that? We want to cruise in February and it's getting late so I'd like to get a booking in. But I'm just afraid if plans change I will lose that money. Also, do they still give you money back or have they changed to OBC for price drops after booking? Either is good really :D but I'd just like to know. Also do you still get something back if you made final payment?

Not sure where you are based and in which country you are booking your cruise.

If you're in the UK and booking in the UK, then if you change ships or even to another date on the same ship you will lose 50% of the current £150 deposit per person if the change is done more than 56 days before sailing. If less than 56 days, you lose 100% as the original booking is deemed cancelled as this is past final payment. As for price drops, someone else can advise as I've never had one!

Thank you! I'm actually booking from US and sailing out of US. I should have mentioned that but you are the sweetest for replying :)
No problem, but I know there will be many people who can advise you better with regards to the US system, which is very different to ours in the UK.

Thank you! I'm actually booking from US and sailing out of US. I should have mentioned that but you are the sweetest for replying :) Also WOW losing 50% is a good sized chunk!
:D and yes, if we cancel completely we lose the lot! So you have to be very sure you're going to like the cruise you've booked, and the cabin you've selected when you're in the UK.

Yes, you can more one booking to another by just keeping the same booking number.

Effective May 17, 2010, if a price reduction occurs prior to final payment your cruisefare will be repriced at the lower rate. After final payment if a higher cabin category is priced the same as or lower than what you paid and it is not a special sale, you can request an upgrade.

In the US as far as I know as long as it is before final payment you can change ships & or dates and not lose your deposit...you just transfer your booking..I don't know what the policy is after final payment with changing dates or ships.....No price drops in any form after final payment...if a higher category is cheaper than what you paid or a small amount higher you can upgrade...

Thanks Cruisinfever! That's the info I was wondering about. I knew something had changed by some comments I've read but couldn't find out exactly what! Also it's super good to know we can move cruises with the same booking number and not lose the deposit. Every penny counts :D

I was curious about this as well. I booked and paid for my cruise in full because I didn't realize that there was an advantage to holding off. What if the fare goes up before final payment is due, do you then have to pay the higher price or are you locked into the fare that you placed your deposit on? The reason I am asking is that I am trying to figure out why the cruise lines potentially reward people who only pay a deposit and not those that hand over their money completely? There has to be a logical reason right?

Alison :confused:

I was curious about this as well. I booked and paid for my cruise in full because I didn't realize that there was an advantage to holding off. What if the fare goes up before final payment is due, do you then have to pay the higher price or are you locked into the fare that you placed your deposit on? The reason I am asking is that I am trying to figure out why the cruise lines potentially reward people who only pay a deposit and not those that hand over their money completely? There has to be a logical reason right?

Alison :confused:

Once you have made deposit your price is locked in...you do not have to pay any increase in price...even though you have made final payment at the time of booking...as long as it was BEFORE the cruise line's final payment date you would still be eligible for any price drops...

Once you have made deposit your price is locked in...you do not have to pay any increase in price...even though you have made final payment at the time of booking...as long as it was BEFORE the cruise line's final payment date you would still be eligible for any price drops...

Oh that makes sense. :D

I am pretty sure the price of our cruise has gone up but out of curiosity how do I know when final payment is required? Is is X days or weeks before departure?

We have currently reserved Brilliance for January, maybe 3 weeks ago the price for our cabin went down by $100 per person - they lowered the price for "seniors" 55+ I called and got a new invoice from RCI - my final payment will be $200 less.

Archived