Holy %*@!

I've sailed RCCL the last 4 years (Voyeger, Explorer, Navigator, Mariner) and wasn't sure if I was going to take a cruise this year because I thought I might be changing jobs and wouldn't be able to take time off over the summer.

Now it appears I will be able to vacation this summer but just checked the cruise prices and found they are about 1,500 to 2,000 dollars more for the same cabin than in the past. I had read that cruise bookings were at pre-911 levels again and cruise rates would be higher but I never thought by this much!

Anyway, now that I've waited until this late in the season, is it better to wait until it gets closer to the month I want to cruise (July) and hope I can find a better price if RCCL looks to fill cabins the closer it gets to that sail date?

I've always heard to get the better rates it's best to book very early or very late.

Is there a special reason for cruising during July? Summer time rates are VERY high...a fall or winter cruise is much cheaper. The weather is still beautiful in the Caribbean. Avoid September - hurricanes! :eek:

I can't give much advice about booking late, as both of my cruises were booked well in advance. However, from what you've written it seems like you prefer Voyager class ships. Personally, I haven't seen any last minute specials on Voyager class ships...they're just too popular and sell well enough on their own merits.

Hope you find something that fits your needs.

Not sure where you want to cruise to or what port you want to embark from. I'm going to be on the Rhapsody, July 3 out of Galveston and got a great rate with an internet cruise agency. Yes summer is the costliest time of year but it's the only time we can get away together. (traveling with DH and DD-HS graduation present!) I keep checking to see if rates went down and although they haven't, there are still quite a few cabins available. Just something to think about. I have yet to read a bad review of the Rhapsody. Everyone seems to just love that ship :D

I can tell you we're cruising the explorer in july.. We booked in january. I still check out online rates through "discount cruise companys" and the rccl site. The same cruise is now $1000.00 more than when we booked. Same cabin and all. Glad we booked when we did.

I've sailed RCCL the last 4 years (Voyeger, Explorer, Navigator, Mariner) and wasn't sure if I was going to take a cruise this year because I thought I might be changing jobs and wouldn't be able to take time off over the summer.

Now it appears I will be able to vacation this summer but just checked the cruise prices and found they are about 1,500 to 2,000 dollars more for the same cabin than in the past. I had read that cruise bookings were at pre-911 levels again and cruise rates would be higher but I never thought by this much!

Anyway, now that I've waited until this late in the season, is it better to wait until it gets closer to the month I want to cruise (July) and hope I can find a better price if RCCL looks to fill cabins the closer it gets to that sail date?

I've always heard to get the better rates it's best to book very early or very late.

You can probably still find good last minute rates (under 90 days until sailing) but you may have to be flexible as to what line and itenerary you sail. There are a few online TA's the specialize in last minute cruises. If you're not sure who they are, try a google search and I'm sure you'll find them.

All cruises seem to be higher this year. I suspect it's a combination of inflation (gas prices are way up) and demand (ships are sailing full). The prices seem to go up from day one as well. We booked our 2006 Alaskan sailing the day it came out and the price of our cabin is already up $150 pp from the day we booked it! That seems to be quite an increase for the last sailing of the season and the cruise only being on the books for two weeks now.

I know this is a RCCL board, but don't be afraid to try other cruise lines. We have sailed Princess, Celebrity and RCCL. You might be able to get some great prices on other lines, since RCCL and Celebrity do not discount their cruises anymore.

You won't know if you like another line, if you don't try them.

One thing to keep in mind, many ships leave the Caribbean during the summer months and head to Alaska and Europe leaving fewer ships in the Caribbean. Add to that summer vacations for families and the ships usually book up without any problems. I suggest that you contact a few TA's and ask them if they have any group space on any sailings during the time that you are wanting to go and also just watch the cruise line sites to see if something opens up.

Good luck.

You can probably still find good last minute rates (under 90 days until sailing) but you may have to be flexible as to what line and itenerary you sail. There are a few online TA's the specialize in last minute cruises. If you're not sure who they are, try a google search and I'm sure you'll find them.

I agree. Look for "last minute cruise deals" and you'd be surprised at the amount of agencies that do these types of bookings ... that is, if you're flexible.

We've sailed in September before (twice) and haven't been affected by hurricanes that much, maybe we've been lucky.

But I also know that the difference in the week before labor day vs the week after labor day = huge savings for you if you wait. That's what we did for the ExOS 9/1/01 (missed 9/11 by thiiiiis much).

Good luck, I hope you find a cruise that meets your needs. :)

Every one of our future cruises were booked in excess of a year and some nearly two years out. I can say we have saved mega bucks doing it this way and we also utilize online agencies along with cruise miles from credit cards.. Just booked a cruise for Dec 06 about a month ago and got a great deal. The rates when the books open can sometimes be great, depending on the cruise line. We also want specific cabins so booking in advance is great for that. :D

Archived