LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Cruise ships pay the most. They per passenger. Most cruise ships pay between $300,000 and $450,000 per transit. Also, cruise ships are among the fist ships to enter the canal in the morning.

BILL

It is so expensive and I've heard it has to be paid in cash! :eek:

The waiting area before the locks are like a parking lot for cargo ships!

It is so expensive and I've heard it has to be paid in cash! :eek:

The waiting area before the locks are like a parking lot for cargo ships!

What, no E-Z pass ? ...lol Perhaps the "cash" was in the brown packages being loaded on as per post # 476

Keep going on this each day and the last pictures were of the folks on the deck during the transit. Am I up to date or have I missed some.??

We did full transit first time west to east and second east to west. Makes no difference. Now they stop in Panama so that would make for another cruise, but husband always says after going so much we have been there. I believe there is always something new to see.

Doing the Vision in Jan hope a couple new stops will be of interest to us.

Cruise ships pay the most. They per passenger. Most cruise ships pay between $300,000 and $450,000 per transit. Also, cruise ships are among the fist ships to enter the canal in the morning.

BILL

Just came off the Vision and one of the Trivia questions was about the price of the transit................The Radiance paid $275.000 to transit so that is closest price I can tell you.

Thanks, Trainman for responding to my question about how long ot took for you and company to go through the lockes to the other side. I figured it to be about 9 and a half hours, something like that. I am loving the pictures and enjoying the commentary. I am also telling others about this thread. I have friends that will doing the Canal in the future so I have told them to subscribe to this thread. I am so thrilled to be following you on your journey here. I followed just recently some acquaintances who did Alaska and had some awesome pictures to show of their journey. Looking forward with anticipation to the next leg of your adventure on the high seas:D

Thanks so much for posting while onboard and for all the great pictures. I didn't know before now that I wanted to sail through the Panama Canal. I'm going to add it to "the list." Just an awesome review!

Nancy

This is how I felt! :)

Touching on the tolls, there are two methods of calculating the tolls, one is bassed on the ship's Panama Canal tonnage which is different than the gross tonnage. The other method the Canal uses which is easier to get you a ballpark figure.... that is a charge of $134/berth. That charge is levied against all passenger berths occuppied or not. So figuring 2200 berths times 134= 294,800$$$, and yes it must be deposited and available as cash before the transit. I don't know if they still actualy physically haul the In God We Trust to the bank anymore or just use whatever the modern day cash equivilent is.

That figure does not include a whole list of other charges some of which are.... $35,000 fee for a guaranteed transit on a certain day, charges for tug boats at all the locks and through Gaillard Cut, a charge for each wire used by the "mules." So it real easy the extend the end price another 35000 to 55000 beyond what the actual toll is. The Canal also offers 1 booking per day to the highest bidder, so if you have the $$ you can just pick your day and time;)!

Of course thanks to Trainman for letting us tag along and providing the pictures!

Touching on the tolls, there are two methods of calculating the tolls, one is bassed on the ship's Panama Canal tonnage which is different than the gross tonnage. The other method the Canal uses which is easier to get you a ballpark figure.... that is a charge of $134/berth. That charge is levied against all passenger berths occuppied or not. So figuring 2200 berths times 134= 294,800$$$, and yes it must be deposited and available as cash before the transit. I don't know if they still actualy physically haul the In God We Trust to the bank anymore or just use whatever the modern day cash equivilent is.

That figure does not include a whole list of other charges some of which are.... $35,000 fee for a guaranteed transit on a certain day, charges for tug boats at all the locks and through Gaillard Cut, a charge for each wire used by the "mules." So it real easy the extend the end price another 35000 to 55000 beyond what the actual toll is. The Canal also offers 1 booking per day to the highest bidder, so if you have the $$ you can just pick your day and time;)!

Of course thanks to Trainman for letting us tag along and providing the pictures!

thanks. very interesting things I am learning that I never knew.;)

BILL

When we did our partial transit of the Canal in '06 on the Brilliance, one of the ship's crew told us that it cost $250,000 for that ship to go through the canal. I remember being shocked at that amount. It hadn't occurred to me that it would be so expensive....:o So it does stand to reason that it would be much more 6 years later.

Those were not the prices when the US turned the Canal over to Panama, in reality the US was running the Canal more as a public utility. When the US was running it the Canal was required by law to run at a profit which it did, but it was not all that big of a profit considering what the potential was. Panama is running the Canal as a business, the tolls are now in the neigborhood of 4 times higher than they were under the US.

If they use the current rates for the new locks, the larger containership customers will be paying more than $800,000 and a Freedom size ship would come in over $500,000.

Thanks Trainman. Brings back my memories of the canal. Heading out today for my cruise to Bermuda and 2 Days in Cold New York. will have a lot of catching up to do with your trip when I get back.

Enjoy the Explorer and keep her in good shape. In 2 more weeks, it will be my turn! I hope you have great weather for your cruise!

I suspect that this thread may set a record for the longest "Live Report" here on the RCI Board.

Several of my past "Live Reports" have gone well over 100,000 views for 7 night cruises.

It is up to you CC'ers to check in often and maybe we can go above one half million views by the time Judith and I debark on Nov 2nd!

Found this thread today, Trainman - yippee!!! I'll be one of your followers helping you reach that half million goal. :)

I brought a bunch of zip lock bags to preserve important things for later consumption in our cabin.

IMG_0114.jpg

What a GREAT idea!!! So simple, especially when I pack my kids along with me. Heck, who am I kidding? I love cookies too!