3 St. Thomas questions

bcaha

Many years ago we took a taxi to Mountaintop. I remember being nervous during the taxi ride due to the steep, narrow road. My husband wants to go there again and I would like to know if my memory is accurate? Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Is the taxi ride to Sapphire much longer from the Allure's dock (Crown, I believe)?

With 8 ships in port, which is likely to be the least crowded? Sapphire or Trunk Bay?

thanks so much!!!

The roads on St.Thomas are, in some places, steep and narrow. Mountaintop had a fire about 4 years ago and has since been rebuilt, so it may be worth going, since it will be nothing like you remember, except for the excellent view.

8 ships in port are days when we don't go out, but since you're only there one day I would definately take time to epxlore Sapphire will most likely be crowded. Truck Bay is on St. John. I would suggest Secret Harbor or Morningstar Beach, which might be less crowded.

Scott

The new version of Mountaintop is nothing like the original, just more a commercial souvenir store now than before. Still a nice view and the $12 banana daiquiri, but I would suggest Drake's Seat for the view or even better hit Paradise Point after the beach.

For a beach I would head for Sapphire or Secret Harbor. Trunk will be swamped as will be Magen's, Lindbergh, and Coki. The ferries will also be very crowded with long lines.

Lindquist will also be quieter because of limited amenities. There were 20,000+ cruisers on STT one day while we were staying at Sapphire and the bay remained very comfortable. But you never know where folks will go and where the drivers will recommend.

For the taxi I would allow another 15 min from Crown to the East End and longer for the return esp with the heavy traffic.

The new version of Mountaintop is nothing like the original, just more a commercial souvenir store now than before. Still a nice view and the $12 banana daiquiri,

They were $8 for a small plastic cup in 2007! $12 sounds like a lot! Yummy drink though.

Unfortunately the new version leaves much to be desired. Just a big souvenir store with no character in our opinion and many others. We drove up during our last stay and we won't go up again. We enjoyed listening to local folks talk at the original MT but they've moved elsewhere. Nice view but just not the same place...

Archived