Should we try HAL?

Giskard

By all means try Holland America, they do a lovely job and offer a good product. Involve the 18 year old in planning what to do in the ports. Cruise excursions in Europe are very pricey and not that good compared to private, you are better off to do it yourselves or find private tour guides.

By all means try Holland America, they do a lovely job and offer a good product. Involve the 18 year old in planning what to do in the ports. Cruise excursions in Europe are very pricey and not that good compared to private, you are better off to do it yourselves or find private tour guides.

Considering how great kids are on the internet, that's a wonderful idea. He can work up some proposed itineraries for the ports. Since he's 18, he'll probably pack in way more than will fit into a day, but it's a good starting point, and makes the trip "his."

Thanks! Yes I'm worried he won't have a "Place" on any cruise we choose so from that stand point all the lines are almost equal. We are good at planning private shore excursions and taking a ship excursion is out of the norm for us. I definitely plan to have him extremely involved, as you say this is his trip. My first step is going to be to tie him down on what is most important to see and give him the cruises that fit. Part of the problem is we are also planning some land based travel attached to this...I have to pin him down on what can or can't be cut from the land portion and then try to make it all work with time and budget :) not an easy task.

Another important consideration is the amount of time the individual ship stays in each port. Might want to check that and include it in your considerations.

There can be a significant difference in the time spent in a port between different ships and different lines.

• 4 weeks later...
If this seems to be the best itinerary, go for it. But do NOT believe anything they announce about the ports!:( I missed two ports for believing the announcements, one of which I really wanted to visit. :mad:
I'm not trying to be contentuous, but I really do have to ask how in the world you could "miss" a port when on a cruise ship? Its usually pretty obvious when a port is coming up and when you are in a port. Unless you never leave your inside cabin, I just don't see how this could be possible, with or without announcements.

I'm not trying to be contentious, but I really do have to ask how in the world you could "miss" a port when on a cruise ship? Its usually pretty obvious when a port is coming up and when you are in a port. Unless you never leave your inside cabin, I just don't see how this could be possible, with or without announcements.

Since this thread is a month old, I don't know if the poster will respond. I don't know, because he/she said announcements, but perhaps two ports had to be skipped for some reason. :confused: Perhaps they meant itinerary?

Hi,

First time trying HAL, like itenierary and right dates. We are in our 30's and was wondering if we are going to fit in with the fellow passengers being this line is known for having older passengers. Please share your experience on this line.

Archived